2016 factory backup camera

nepas

Dealers are often without clues.  I could be wrong, but the radio is unchanged so it must be do-able.  There have been no changes as far as I know . . . . What I can say is that the wiring for the camera was supposed to have become standard in the vehicle in 2012, but we couldn't locate the connector in my 2014.  Good thing I had the full kit with the harness, so I just put that one in.

This assumes you have the 8.4" display, of course.

Edited by bramfrank

• 2 weeks later...

$280 gets you the old kit complete with the wiring harness.  You should only need the camera bezel (same part for all years) which is about $125, because the vehicles are supposed to be prewired now.  And if the harness is there the install OUGHT to take less than an hour - remove the interior panels, unscrew one bolt and remove the old bezel, pop the new one in and put it back together.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-MOPAR-LIFT-GATE-HANDLE-2011-12-DODGE-JOURNEY-FOR-VEHICLES-W-BACKUP-CAMERA-/322058533395

Then they only need to flash the new sales code into the vehicle.

Of course this presupposes that you have a vehicle with the 8.4" display.

Edited by bramfrank

I've been hunting down the OEM camera and have been told by several dealers that the 11-15 camera won't work in the 2016's so I've not pulled the trigger on one yet.  I don't want to get to the dealership and have them tell me it won't work when they go to flash the computer.  I do have the 8.4' and the wires should be there although I'm not 100% positive.  Thanks for the links.  I wouldn't mind installing the parts myself if its 100% compatible and saving a few bucks that way.  The Dealership told me about 1.5 hours to install and program.  In the end, I didn't/don't think thats to bad of a price and it would be covered under the warranty if dodge does it.

11 hours ago, bramfrank said:

$280 gets you the old kit complete with the wiring harness.  You should only need the camera bezel (same part for all years) which is about $125, because the vehicles are supposed to be prewired now.  And if the harness is there the install OUGHT to take less than an hour - remove the interior panels, unscrew one bolt and remove the old bezel, pop the new one in and put it back together.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-MOPAR-LIFT-GATE-HANDLE-2011-12-DODGE-JOURNEY-FOR-VEHICLES-W-BACKUP-CAMERA-/322058533395

Then they only need to flash the new sales code into the vehicle.

Of course this presupposes that you have a vehicle with the 8.4" display.

if you scroll down on the link you supplied it says it is not for a 2016 and it also says there is NO camera supplied with this part

1 hour ago, Steven Harshbarger said:

I've been hunting down the OEM camera and have been told by several dealers that the 11-15 camera won't work in the 2016's so I've not pulled the trigger on one yet.  I don't want to get to the dealership and have them tell me it won't work when they go to flash the computer.  I do have the 8.4' and the wires should be there although I'm not 100% positive.  Thanks for the links.  I wouldn't mind installing the parts myself if its 100% compatible and saving a few bucks that way.  The Dealership told me about 1.5 hours to install and program.  In the end, I didn't/don't think thats to bad of a price and it would be covered under the warranty if dodge does it.

i dont think the wires will be there unless ordered when built. car manufacturer figure every 1/100 of a cent when building a new vehicle as i used to work at Chrysler van plant a few years ago, also my 2014 was not pre-wired, only buy the mopar backup cam that way you are covered on the warranty.. when i bought my 2011 it took almost a yr before the dealers were able to get me the oem cam. good luck and enjoy your journey

5 hours ago, 2late4u said:

if you scroll down on the link you supplied it says it is not for a 2016 and it also says there is NO camera supplied with this part

It's hard for the camera to not be included since it is molded into the bezel.  And while it *may* be that the bezel design has changed or perhaps they use a different connector, I personally doubt it.  The Mopar accessory site has it included under the 2009-2016 parts, though the kit itself says 2011-215, which can also mean that they simply haven't updated the descriptive text.

7 hours ago, Steven Harshbarger said:

The wires had better be there if the dealer thinks he can install it in an hour and a half. 

3 hours ago, Steven Harshbarger said:

I hope the wires are there too!

3 hours ago, Steven Harshbarger said:

I hope the wires are there too!

please report back when you get it done or when you find out what needs to be done so other 2016 owners can learn......

Parts have been ordered and should be ready for install within the next week or so.  When I purchased the vehicle, it was advertised with remote start.  Well guess what.. it had no remote start.  The dealership is stepping up and having it installed for me.  Once that's done, it goes in for the backup camera.  The particular dealership doing the install won't give me the part numbers but once I get the paper work back after the install, I'll post them for others who maybe interested.

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, mrmighty said:

Hello Steve.How did you make out with camera install? thanks for your time, Joe

Joe - I made out good.  Very straight forward.  The dealership did the install, added the sales code to the uconnect and it works flawless.  I'm very glad I added it.  I was kinda missing it.

• 2 weeks later...