Dash Cameras

Hi All,

We installed dash cameras in both of our 12 Journeys.  I went with Kobi (Chinese) dash cameras with solid mounts and rear camera addons.  I managed to pick these up a Factory Direct (Ontario) for about $125.00 each.  So far we are really happy with them as they can protect us in the event of an accident by documenting what happened from the driver's point of view.

I installed them with a flat self adhesive fixed mount, just to the leff of the rear view mirror where the sunshade line reduces.  The rear cameras are installed in the center of the rear window at the top of the glass.  Both cameras have GPS and automatic G-force logging. 

What are your opinions on dash cameras in general?  I am looking for feedback on various makes / models and their respective performance.  The ones that we installed record at 1080P (Front) & 720P (Rear) simultaneously.  The only other option I was thinking of is a battery connection to allow parking lot recordings for any mishaps when the trucks are parked - but I have not experience with these - so not really sure if it is worth the effort...

Thoughts?

Lee

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think you would prefer to have a separate camera installed on the glass window, high up so it doesn't interfere with your line of sight - connected to the recorder head end unit.  Mine records both front and back simultaneously while driving.  The video is actually quite good in most conditions and will certainly make reading license plates easy should something happen.

I didn't have too much difficulty routing my cable from back to front - I ran mine along the floor and tucked the cable under the sill trim and then up through the side of the dash to the 'A' Pillar and then up to the headliner along the windshield to connect to the main unit.