Possible to use Fog Lights as DRL?

Hello, I am wondering if anyone has tried to set up their fog lights as drl lights? I am in canada and DRL are required by law but by using the high beam lamp at low power is leaving nasty yellow deposits on my bulbs:

bulb%201.jpg

I just ordered some new HIR high beam bulbs and would like to prevent this from happening to those... Is it possible to use a relay or something to switch the DRL to the fog lights? I plan on buying some led fogs from The Retrofit Source as well. As I understand the DRL system the car sends only 6v to the high beams in DRL mode, switching to 12v when you activate the highs... is this correct? There are only 2 wires going to my bulb (white/black), so there is definitly no separate "low voltage" wire.

I was thinking of a relay that will only activate at 12v+, so anything under 12 will not turn on the high beam bulb would work to disable the current system (I dont think a dealer would disable it in the system as it's illegal not to have them here), but how would I go about wireing the fogs as drl lights?

Thanks for any help!

I don't think so. The DRLs run off of the CanBus, and I don't believe that there is a separate wire for them.

It's like auto lights: just change a sensor and the switch and have the Dealer add the Sales Code, and activate them (when they add the Sales Code back on the list!).

DRLs: Add the sales code, and the Dealer activates them. No wires.

Edited by dhh3

So I did some testing with my volt meter and with the car running there is 5.4V going to the high beam bulb even with the lights off... (bulbs not lit in the slightest). I thought that was kind of weird. With the high beam headlights on there is just under 14v going to the bulb as expected with the alternator running, and with just the drl on 11V. I was definitely expecting a larger drop as the lights are way dimmer/yellowish in drl mode vs hi beam.

Not sure what I can do with this info... :doh: but it's there for anyone who might be wondering.

Edited by DJDiggler

So I did some testing with my volt meter and with the car running there is 5.4V going to the high beam bulb even with the lights off... (bulbs not lit in the slightest). I thought that was kind of weird. With the high beam headlights on there is just under 14v going to the bulb as expected with the alternator running, and with just the drl on 11V. I was definitely expecting a larger drop as the lights are way dimmer/yellowish in drl mode vs hi beam.

Not sure what I can do with this info... :doh: but it's there for anyone who might be wondering.

DRLs only come on in D or R. They are not on in P; if this means anything!

• 3 months later...

Hey guys sorry forgot to update the thread...  I ended up putting in the hir bulbs but they were still to "yellowish"  for my liking so I purchased a set of fanless led high beams from amazon.   They were simple plug and play install and work fine in drl and high beam.  They are a bit dimmer in drl mode as they should be.   Fun fact,  i was behind a buddys motorhome and he was confused as to why my headlights (drl's on) were flickering in his rear view camera,  they must be pulsed at a certain frequency but its unnoticeable to the naked eye. 

On my phone now but can post the ones I got latter if anyones interested.  I'm from canada so ordered from amazon.ca... Were $100 or less i think. 

Edited by DJDiggler