2013 Dodge Journey 4.3s REB

I am trying to figure out handsfree on my vehicle. When I try to pair to Bluetooth, nothing comes up on the vehicle about Bluetooth or to choose it. I then tried to plug in usb and unless it is charging it just says usb error. How can I fix this and use handsfree?

Does the steering wheel have controls in the upper quadrant of the left side that look like telephone and speech icons?

A photo for comparison would probably help - you can click on the image to see a larger version of it - if you don't have that top row of buttons your vehicle isn't equipped for Bluetooth and you can stop looking:

2016_journey_md_se_steering_wheel.jpg

Edited by bramfrank

Go to your Dealer and see if they can get you a Build Sheet for your DJ. If Uconnect/Bluetooth are not on the list, you don't have it. However, if they are on the list, your Uconnect/Bluetooth module may be bad. Try disconnecting the negative terminal on your battery to do a system reset. Leave it off for about 30 minutes. Then, see what you get.

Does the steering wheel have controls in the upper quadrant of the left side that look like telephone and speech icons?

No it does not have the buttons. But what about the USB port?

A photo for comparison would probably help - you can click on the image to see a larger version of it - if you don't have that top row of buttons your vehicle isn't equipped for Bluetooth and you can stop looking:

2016_journey_md_se_steering_wheel.jpg

Then there's no Bluetooth at all and no speakerphone support, even by wire, unfortunately for you. And adding it would be prohibitively expensive.

USB-wise the only thing you will get from your phone is any music out the speakers (to do that you'd need to set the phone to 'mass storage' mode - simpler to just put your music on a USB key and plug that into the socket - charge your phone from a cigarette lighter socket - it's quicker.

There's no microphone in your vehicle or any audio processing or support for handsfree operation as it stands now.

What I did in my last Journey, which also had no Bluetooth was to buy a Garmin navigator that supported the Bluetooth function and had voice recognition (the Nuvi 3790 and 3460 were what I used, but today they seem to offer the 50, 60 & 70 if I remember correctly). I had it mounted above the mirror and coul activate it by speaking the magic phrase, which I'd changed to something profane.

Aside from having to manually turn down the radio volume when I wanted to use the phone it all worked very well.

Edited by bramfrank