After-market inverter?

For random, nerdy reasons I need an inverter in my car. I have an old one I can hard-wire up myself with a mechanical switch, but since DJ's have an inverter as an option, I wondered if anyone knew if it was possible to wire in an aftermarket inverter in such a way that it could be controlled by the standard interface in our car. Would a dealer need to put in some sort of code (like they do when adding the OEM backup camera)?

Related - those of you with the OEM inverter, what are your options for turning it on? Is there an always-on option vs a switched-with-acc option? If not, I might just stick with hard-wiring in my switch anyway...

Thanks!

Indeed. It has two different modes; one in which it is limited itself (for using a cigarette adapter), and the other in which it connects directly to the battery. Considering I'm just plugging in a cell phone battery charger (which for reasons beyond me uses A/C instead of a standard micro usb port), I'm not exactly planning on drawing much current.

Now the 50" plasma screen in the backseat...

Indeed. It has two different modes; one in which it is limited itself (for using a cigarette adapter), and the other in which it connects directly to the battery. Considering I'm just plugging in a cell phone battery charger (which for reasons beyond me uses A/C instead of a standard micro usb port), I'm not exactly planning on drawing much current.

Now the 50" plasma screen in the backseat...

Can't you ring an adapter for your phone which plugs into a 12VDC accessory outlet?

Well, I have a very good charger for my Iphone and IPad. It has two 2.4A USB ports (4.8 A total) and a total of 34 watts, so a small 100 watt inverter would be overkilll. You should be able to plug that into a power outlet with no issues. May be easier (and cheaper) to use something like that. Not as clean looking, but should work for your needs.........just a thought....

Edited by OhareFred