Type of gas to use?

rcp27

On a recent long distance trip I ran across some cheap gas at Costco in South Carolina. The premium gas (93 octane) was only 20 cents more than the regular gas (87 octane) so I thought I'd try a tank. As soon as I drove away from the pumps my onboard computer changed my avg fuel economy by two MPG! I thought this can't be right, after all how would it know what type of gas I had just put in. So I drove that tank out and calculated my mileage and it had increased by three MPG! So I bought another tank of 93 octane and I received the same results.

I guess to prove my theory I could switch back to 87 octane gas and see if my lieage drops back to the previous level. I'll keep you posted. I guess it depends on how much more the premium gas would cost to make it worth while, most places I fuel at the premium gas cost almost 40 cents more, but when it only cost 20 cents more then it is definately worth while.

Happy Motoring...

I would not use any gas over 89. Use 87 or 89 do some tests and see where it puts you. I have been using Shell gas only in my 3.5L Journey. I use Shell gas in my Journey for the fact that my 2007 Dodge Caliber 2.0L CVT got better MPG's with the Shell gas than any other fuel. So,I just keep using it in my Journey.

Normally I wouldn't use 93 octane, especially since it usually cost 40 cents per gallon more, you wouldn't see a dollar benefit with the increased gas mileage. My only choice at this particular Costco was 87 or 93 octane, and as I said for only an additional 20 cents it was well worth it.

I also would add that in another car I have, I try to use gas that doesn't contain ethanol. It's hard to find gas without ethanol added, but it is out there, and when I burn a tank of ethanol free gas I can travel about 50 miles per tankful further. I know that the ethanol doesn't burn with as much power, and it immediately drops my MPG, so the extra cost of ethanol free gas is definately worth it, when you can find it.

Just my unscientific two cents worth.

Happy Motoring...

I can see where you would go with the 93. I am just saying when all possible it is best to use 87-89. I use Shell gas in my Journey and like I have said I have used all others I could find. Giant Eagle here in Ohio at least around the Toledo area their gas is 100% gas. I have used that and in my own experiments on using gas from all stations in and around Toledo, Shell has netted me the best MPG's. They are rated as one of the Tier One gases along with some more, but Shell is the only one on the list that is near by where I live there is like 2 with in 5 miles from my house and at least 4 with in 10 miles,so I use that gas. Both of my Dodges have ran better on Shell. I know I keep track of every tank of gas. My wife took over the Caliber when I bought the Journey and she does not track gas like I do, so the Caliber's record is gone. She goes where ever she is at. Says she is getting 24-26 running around town and some Highway. That is good cause she is a runner,lol.