ecm failure. will one out of another journey work

DirtyJourney

So I'm almost positive my ecm failed. All four o2 sensors are throwing codes for heater high output and the engine light will not shut off even when you try to clear the codes with a scan tool. It has been doing all kinds of funky things. What I'm wanting to know is, if I put an ecm out of another journey of the same style and year journey if it would work without taking it to a dealership to get it reprogrammed? This thing has been driving me insane someone please help.

All that I recall was that the Nitro runs the High Speed Bus, and that the members were doing it with the older model years. The Nitro used a real key with the ignition switch on the steering column. These keys could be reprogrammed. I also forgot to add to make sure that the P/N was the same, including the last two letters, like AC. A higher last letter, like AD would indicate a slight change. If your Dealer is correct, you would have to get your Fobs programmed to it (I do not know if these new style Fobs are even reprogrammable). If this is the case, and you find one on eBay, get the Fobs which are programmed to it, also. If you can get the Fob(s), install the used ECM and see if it will start. If so, I'm not sure why it would have to be programmed, unless this process just makes it recognizable by the Fob. There may be more to the programming process that I am unaware of.

A while ago, there was a member from Africa (Ghana?) who could not get his DJ to start. He was trying to get an ECM and a Fob so he could start his car. I was told by my Service Manager that you can't just program an ECM with the Fob. The ECM has to be installed in the car, in the Service Bay in order to program it! This being said, I'd compare the price of a new ECM + programming (+ maybe a new Fob) vs a used one and having your Dealer program it. I think that I read on the forum that these new style Fobs can only be programmed once, but I am not positive on this.

Dealers each have their own way of doing things. Some will not deal with self installed used parts. Mine would, but I would be in agreement that if something went wrong, they were not responsible.

Edited by dhh3

I purchased a pcm of the exact p/n. Took it to the dealer to be programmed. The skim system is programmed into the ignition, pcm, and bcm. So it would lock up if I would have tried to start it. I had already checked the grounds and harness. The ground for the o2 heater circuit is provided from the pcm. Also the low oil pressure light came on(which ran to the same connector on the pcm the heater circuit is on) If all wiring and grounds are good, that pretty much leaves the pcm.

I took it yesterday and they programmed the computer to the car. And voila, cured my o2 heater circuit problem and low oil pressure light. It also had a recall for the key fobs, because the old ones fit loose and could shut off the ignition while driving. So I had the computer programmed to the car (dealer has four digit acess code for the skim module to program it to the pcm), 2 new fobs which were programmed(recall), and had the pcm reflashed because there was an update. Cost me $138 at the dealer because I brought my own pcm (which was $75)

Just thought I'd put this on here for future reference if anyone should need it. I do recommend taking it to the dealership if the pcm ever needs replaced and you are using a used one,even one online has to be programmed to your system (which is my last option). Trying to start it with an unrecognized pcm can make it lock up. I suggest buying a used one (just my opinion) but I've heard of many people having problems with new ones failing. All the ones you buy new, are just refurbished units, but that's just my opinion.

Thanks for the input everyone, hope this helps someone else. Keep in mind tho, all dealerships are not as kind. Some may refuse, or say they can't program a used pcm. I had a polite, seasoned technician. He had done this many times before, and was done with everything in around 2 hours. Thanks for the input, much appreciated!

Edited by DirtyJourney

It was close to $700 I believe. With tax I'd say $700 is what to expect. I believe even the dealer bought pcm has to still be programmed. Which is another $100 to have it programed and put in, maybe an hour labor for install of pcm at dealer (mine didn't charge me probably cause it is an easy install). I wanted to be able to drive it on the trailer and into the shop. That is why I didn't bother changing it. And I also didn't want it locking up the security. At $75 for the pcm, $100 for programming, and $38 for the update, you really can't go wrong.

I also couldn't find a write up on transmission removal, and replacement. I wanted to know if there were any tips, or what to expect. Did one a few weeks ago on a dj. I'll be doing a write up for the forum. This is a very helpful forum, if used right. The more people that post info, the better.