GPS Mount...

brwengel

I've been looking for a good mounting location for my GPS. I'm one of those people who doesn't like to mount my unit on the dash or the windshield. Since the interior of the Journey doesn't give you a lot of choices I deceided on the side of the center stack. The cover is easy to remove, and it is actually pretty thick, so it will stand the stress of the GPS mounting bracket. It's actually far enough out of the way for passengers legs, and you can still fold the seat flat and not hit it. The first pic shows the unit mounted, the second shows the cradle with the GPS removed, and the third shows the cradle removed, which is all that shows for a potential thief. I guess I could have removed the Garmin name from the base to further disquise it. Sorry the pics are so dark, a camera buff I'm not!

post-898-1249868402_thumb.jpg post-898-1249868408_thumb.jpg post-898-1249868414_thumb.jpg

If anyone is interested in more detail, I'd be happy to share.

I guess if I had the pick of any location in the vehicle I would slightly relocate it, but since there aren't too many mounting choices, this one's not too bad. I like my GPS a bit lower in the vehicle to keep off the sun glare.

If you noticed, my GPS is quite old, and as a result the screen isn't as bright as many of todays' models. My unit is a Garmin iQue 3600 and is about 10 years old, and I guess I'm too cheap to buy a new one.

Regarding the location, it's not to bad because it is within reach and it works that low because I use an external antenna which is mounted to the front center of the dash. Probably a unit with an internal antenna would not pick up a signal that far away from the windshield.

I travel for a living and use my GPS everyday, and I really like the fact that you have to look hard to see that I have a unit in my vehicle, and no suction cup marks!

I've got a Garmin 340C which fits nicely in the upper storage bin (the one at the top of the radio stack). Open it up, place the Garmin in and your done. Picks up the sats just fine, and the popup cover for the bin shades it nicely. No telltail suction cup marks on the windshield! I just put it in the passenger seat storage bin and close the popup cover. You never know it was there!

• 1 month later...

I keep mine in the upper center pop up storage area too, Works great was actually thiinking about permanently leaving the cover up and making a fiberglass front surround for it. One I get rid of the stupid chrome button blinding me in the sunlight because it is facing the wind shield now, second the gps looks factory, and by making it removable, place it in the passenger seat storage area and the car looks like it should. If I ever get around to it I will take some pics

• 1 year later...

I put the pad on top of the pop up bin & mount my garmin on top- the little suction pad is not a distraction when the garmin isnt being used

I have a Garmin 265WT which came with a suction cup mount.

I made up a cylinder using 2' ABS pipe & installed it in the cup holder on the drivers side.

Works great & easily removeable.