Backup camera alignment

Hi! The guidelines on my backup camera are out of alignment. After finally being able to convince the dealer there is a problem, they replaced the backup camera. Despite them claiming the problem was fixed, it was no better at all! Please see attached before and after pics. Now they are saying there is nothing more they can do. I have attached a picture from my 2010 Ford F-150 for comparison - this is what I expect the guidelines to look like.

Does anyone else have this problem?

If anyone does not have this problem, can you post pics that I can take to my dealer to show them how it supposed to look?

Thanks!

post-12759-0-76366000-1452440602_thumb.j

post-12759-0-49722800-1452440612_thumb.j

post-12759-0-69949500-1452440623_thumb.j

I don't know whether those guide lines are generated by the radio or by the camera but the alignment issue is more likely to be the display or the radio's video decoder (if it is the camera) or display drivers (if the radio).

The dealer is probably right . . . short of replacing the radio and/or screen (which they will not be likely to get authorisation for because FCA will almost certainly consider to be a cosmetic issue, rather than a true defect) there is nothing more they can do, though you can always ask that the dealer raise the issue with the factory support team to get their input - they might authorise the replacement. You never know.

However if you have factory Navigation bear in mind that any radio they supply will be a refurb; one that likely has suffered the dreaded 'can't unlock maps' issue that will not have actually been repaired, while the one in your vehicle is working properly . . . . . that's a major temptation for fate to start making your life miserable.

If you plan to keep the vehicle I would also suggest you might want to consider buying an OEM extended warranty - pricey, but a lot cheaper than the cost of any significant repairs.

dont really know what to say that wont make me sound like i am being rude? I am really surprised the dealer actual changed out your camera.

just took my journey out and compared my backup view and looks about like yours first 2 pics, never had a concern about it, i do admit the last pic from your ford looks a little better they just condensed the lines and added a center line a little bigger but all three pics show you where you are backing up into... the one thing i don't like is when you first start up you go thur the warning and if you put it into rev right away you have to pause about 10 seconds for the camera to come on I don't like the pause

Edited by 2late4u

I don't know whether those guide lines are generated by the radio or by the camera but the alignment issue is more likely to be the display or the radio's video decoder (if it is the camera) or display drivers (if the radio).

The dealer is probably right . . . short of replacing the radio and/or screen (which they will not be likely to get authorisation for because FCA will almost certainly consider to be a cosmetic issue, rather than a true defect) there is nothing more they can do, though you can always ask that the dealer raise the issue with the factory support team to get their input - they might authorise the replacement. You never know.

However if you have factory Navigation bear in mind that any radio they supply will be a refurb; one that likely has suffered the dreaded 'can't unlock maps' issue that will not have actually been repaired, while the one in your vehicle is working properly . . . . . that's a major temptation for fate to start making your life miserable.

If you plan to keep the vehicle I would also suggest you might want to consider buying an OEM extended warranty - pricey, but a lot cheaper than the cost of any significant repairs.

So wait a warranty issue that deems an item to be replaced is being replaced with a used item?

i was told when i bought my mopar extended warranty that if refurbished parts were available they would be used first and then he said that most of the time they are not available but hey i have the lifetime and unlimited mile warranty anyway. also when a dealership uses their parts you always get a 12 month/12k warranty on the parts anyway.

the last pic from your ford looks a little better they just condensed the lines and added a center line a little bigger but all three pics show you where you are backing up into

The difference is that the guidelines on the Ford match the angle of the vehicle. I can use the guidelines to tell me exactly where my tires are going to be when I back up. I can safely back into a parking space or into my garage, and know my vehicle will be within the boundaries of the guidelines and will be centered. The guidelines on the Dodge do not match the angle of the vehicle, they don't even match each other! If I use the guidelines to back into a parking space, my vehicle will not be centered nor do I know where my vehicle will actually be when I back up. In all three pics that I posted, the vehicle is centered between the parking lines. The Dodge guidelines suggest that I will cross over the parking line on the driver's side (causing me to turn too far towards the passenger side), when in fact I would have been perfectly centered. IMHO this is a safety issue, although I doubt I will be able to convince them of that.

Have you checked to see whether the lines match the image by backing into a spot with the lines on screen centered between the parking spot lines and then putting something down on the ground right on the screen lines to see whether the lines are right and the image is offset or the lines are in the wrong place?

If it is an image issue you will be able to use the guidelines without concern, since they will reflect the reality.

I never even noticed the two black center lines! But, I did hit a red Ford pickup that was not fully into his space. It is a narrow parking lot, and I was so concerned about the Caliber in my Driver's mirror, I never saw the Truck, because it was not in the view of the camera. I felt a slight bump, and bashed in the passenger edged of my rear bumper. Not a mark on the truck. Why don't the steel inner bumpers go all the way across, from end to end? I was lucky; no metal damage, and my Dealer matched my Copperhead Pearl exactly.