How to remove Aux inputs on center console?

Hello, We recently bought a 2015 Journey R/T and have been loving it so far, we went on a long trip this christmas and I hooked up a media player with movies into the AUX input on the rear of the center console. Unfortunatly the RCA cables were snapped off in the plugs somehow and I made things worse by pushing the broken center pins all the way inside. Now I can fit a new cable in the plug by there is a constant buzzing in the audio.

Can anyone give me an idea of how to remove the center console on a 2015 R/T? I'd like to relocate that AUX input if possible, (and remove the broken pins).

Thanks!

Edited by DJDiggler

Get a small drill bit drill a tiny hole in the broken end and grab a tiny screw and screw it in the broken end you just drilled once in far enough pull it out.

Yea thats exactly what I tried, but unfortunately the inputs on the journey have no "bottom" and despite being carefull as I could I ended up pushing them literally right out the other side! I assume the metel pins are stuck in there making contact on something causing the buzzing. :(

Cars are like jigsaw puzzles.

It sounds to me like you may have to disassemble part of the console to get to it. Maybe you can get to it by removing the top trim and shifter cover. I also know the left and right sides are covers - if one of them has to come out I think a seat has to be removed first.

Hello, We recently bought a 2015 Journey R/T and have been loving it so far, we went on a long trip this christmas and I hooked up a media player with movies into the AUX input on the rear of the center console. Unfortunatly the RCA cables were snapped off in the plugs somehow and I made things worse by pushing the broken center pins all the way inside. Now I can fit a new cable in the plug by there is a constant buzzing in the audio.

Can anyone give me an idea of how to remove the center console on a 2015 R/T? I'd like to relocate that AUX input if possible, (and remove the broken pins).

Thanks!

See attached PDF for console removal. (remove the shift knob by pulling up on the knob.)

Not sure if the inside of the module is easily accessible (w/o breaking it apart), or if it has screws or clips. If you need a new one, p/n is 05107083AB, Google search will bring up an image of it. Runs around $40.00.

2015_Journey_Center_Console_Removal.pdf

Follow the first page of the PDF above as you probably won't need to remove the entire console. Use trim removal tools and you won't break or mar them and they'll just pop up and off. You're going to feel like you're going to break them but they're ABS plastic and will just pop the retainer clips out of the retention holes. Once the trim is up you'll be able to access the USB/AUX harness. It's a bear and not what you're going to expect. I never was able to get mine unclipped when I ran my aftermarket USB cable.

Edited by QuarterSwede

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, thanks for the help! I must have missed the email saying I had a reply as I forgot all about this thread until I decided today to take apart the journey. ;) Thank you Milous... the pdf is exactly what I needed and it was fairly easy to get the console out. I was worried when I looked at the pictures of the aux unit, (thanks again for the part number), as it looked like a sealed unit. But the cover was easily removable by taking out 2 screws.

Have a few pointers for anyone else who might dig up this thread:

- To get the top trim off the center console its easiest to just use a butter knife from "inside" the console and pry up on the edges... the rest comes off easily once you get it started.

- To get at the rear inputs I dont even think you need to remove the console at all... The whole rear part is held on with clips as you can see in the pictures and should be removable by prying out on the seam. Of course I figured this out AFTER I had the console ripped apart. :doh:

- To avoid the problem I had with broken rca cables it would be easy to "relocate" the inputs... just unscrew them from the back pannel and run your cables under the edge of the console so they connect "inside". Just screw in a blank plastic plate or something over the aux input hole.

journey%20aux%20inputs%201.jpg

Input unit with cover off... Broken RCA pins I pushed through laying inside.

journey%20aux%20inputs%203.jpg

See where the rear panel just clips in the console... might be no need to remove console to get at the connections back there.

Edited by DJDiggler