Intermittent no cruise control and radio will volume down or up on its own.

Have had an issue on my RT with the cruise control not turning on since the vehicle was new. Has been in to the dealer and they were never able to find anything due to it was so intermittent. The radio has now started acting up were the volume control would either ramp down or up. Suspect there is an electrical issue in the steering column. Anybody out there have the same issue. It is really intermittent so haven't tried to have it repaired.

Sorry to hear of your issues.

While I don't have the problem, I can envision a number of reasons for the volume to 'move around'. In no particular order I propose;

One reason could simply be that the volume control encoder (they use what's called a 'chopper wheel' to tell the unit that the control is turning, which direction and how much) could be out of alignment - if that's the problem then the simple solution is to replace the entire lower bezel with one from a scrapped vehicle that has the same feature set (with the split centre 'auto' button) and which works.

Another might be that what is called the 'clockspring', which is the wire coil that carries the electrical connections between the steering wheel switches and the vehicle proper is acting up. If this is the case then it *might* be related to the issues you have with the cruise control.

I will assume that the cruise control still doesn't work; though why you would let it go that way for 5 years seems a bit strange to me; but you may be able to leverage the original failure into a free repair for the current problems by INSISTING that they get the cruise control running at their expense . . . . it may well make your volume start to work.

A third is that the buttons in the steering wheel are worn or defective . . . .

Fourth; chafed wiring or corroded connections or badly inserted connectors.

The last which comes quickly to mind is that it could be that the radio module itself has issues - replacement radios usually be found on eBay and they are simple to drop into place.

There are probably more reasons than I've listed, but that's what quickly comes to mind.

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

The cruise control is working at this time. Never took it back to the dealer because the problem was so intermittent, it would never act up for them, so they were never able to diagnosis the issue. They did replace the cruise control switch as a guess to the repair but it still acted up intermittently. If the issue gets worse with the radio volume I will try a clock spring. Thanks for the input guys much appreciated. If I ever change out the clock spring I will report back.