CHANGING THE FOB CASE WITH CHIP! HELP!

Hi All,

Dodge Journey SXT 2009

I already have a problem with my second fob not working, may need a new one altogether. However, before my only one fob comes apart, i need to change the case and rubber bits and chip, transfer them over to a new case. Anyone have any idea how to do this, any special tips? would my existing metal key fit inside the new case?

Many thanks for any help :cool:

Changing the components from one key fob to another is very simple. Remove the back, take out the parts you need to transfer, and put them in the new case. As for the metal key, as far as I know, NO, it is not transferable. You would have to take the old key, along with the new one, to a locksmith and have them cut the new key for you.

Just a thought on the other, non-working fob... have you changed the battery in it? 6 years is approaching the life of the battery I would think.

Try the key in the door to see if it works, before you cut it. In your other post you said both Fobs came with the car, but one had the graphics wearing off and you wanted to use the other one. You said the new one would start the car, but not unlock the doors. You should be able to transfer the guts from the old one and install them in the new one.

Hi dhh3,

thanks for your reply. I have 2 fobs and both the keys unlock the doors, it's just one of the fobs does not work to unlock or close. I'm thinking if i get a new fob (maybe off Ebay!) would i be able to program it? they are saying if i have 2 working fobs i can program the third one, after all they are both working to start the engine up..do you think may work? thanks so much :yup:

Just an update on these fobs....my car is part of a RECALL!!!!! Now have to take to the dealer 'THE WIRELESS IGNITION NODE MODULE MAY HAVE UNINTENTIONAL MOVEMENT OF THE FREQUENCY OPERATED BUTTON IGNITION KEY (FOBIK) FROM THE ON TO THE ACCESSORY POSITION WHILE DRIVING'

THANK YOU SO MUCH 'BFURTH' ONCE AGAIN, if it wasn't for YOU i would not have known this....!!! :hyper: