Cleaning the Dodge Interior??

alevins5

While cleaning the carpet and seats is common sense - all that is required is a vacuum, I was wondering what kinds of products are best for cleaning the interior plastics, as I know that some cleaners (such as 409) are extremely powerful and may damage the journey's interior. But really I don't know, I've never used it because I've been too afraid to. What cleaners should I use? Also, does anybody have any tips for cleaning the instrument panel's buttons and such? Also, tips for cleaning the shift letters? I've noticed dirt/dust tends to conglomerate on those little letters beside the shifter.

I know, I'm helpless. Lol. Thanks in advance!

While cleaning the carpet and seats is common sense - all that is required is a vacuum, I was wondering what kinds of products are best for cleaning the interior plastics, as I know that some cleaners (such as 409) are extremely powerful and may damage the journey's interior. But really I don't know, I've never used it because I've been too afraid to. What cleaners should I use? Also, does anybody have any tips for cleaning the instrument panel's buttons and such? Also, tips for cleaning the shift letters? I've noticed dirt/dust tends to conglomerate on those little letters beside the shifter.

I know, I'm helpless. Lol. Thanks in advance!

I would ask the dealer for their advice first. I think MOPAR has a kit that contains Maguires products. On the outside black trim Mothers Back to Black is a very good product.

I like to use Meguires stuff too. For the shifter use some compressed air first to blow out any excess dust. Step two spray some interior cleaner (Meguire for me) and let it soak for a little bit. Step 3: Use compressed air again to get rid of the excess. Don't forget to move the shifter it get all of it. If you don't have access to an air compressor with a small blow out nozzle, a can of keyboard cleaner should work. Never tried the keyboard cleaner, but I think it will work.

I would say anything made for cars is safe, I haven't cleaned the interior in the week and 1 day we had the Journey :D but my favorite is Black Magic Protectant, I have a Pontiac Bonneville with leather and it does a great job protecting and shining the leather and dash surfaces as well as any plastic parts you put it on

having spent a number year trying to get this figured out on different vehicles, i asked a local deatiler in town, and the answer i got a few years back was warm water with a soft rag ( face cloth) if you want get rid of any odour add a touch of vinegar to the water. Then if you want a shine choose turtle wax dash cleaner for a shine ( i just use wate, also great on the windows and wont harm any aftermarket tint)

For the Rims I have have noticed this asaked before. dish soap works well on "crhome rims". being using it on my 06 f-150 for three years and always comes clean.

• 3 months later...

Meguires Interior car detailer.

This has always worked best for me for the hard surfaces of my vehicles. Other than that, if there is a lot of dirt dirt, i use very mild soap and water to clean (Dawn, mixed with distilled water) with a micro fiber towel, Klasse (german company, can find online or at most BMW dealers) to protect the plastics, and Conoly Hide Car for any leather, to preserve it.

Thats my process.

Works very well for all my cars.

• 1 year later...

You have to be very careful using Armour All in Dodge vehicles. I used to use the protectant wipes in my 01 Neon and I began getting bubbling of the finish on the dash. For my 06 Caravan, all I would usually use is a Swiffer duster (works really well) and sometimes car cleaning wipes on just the areas where fingers and hands have contact with (steering wheel, console buttons, door handles, etc). Had the Caravan for 5 years and the interior still looked almost new when I sold it.

I use orange cleaning wipes to clean the door panels, plastic seat backs, plastic entry sill plates (whatever they are called) that meet the doors, etc. I don't use it anywhere on the upper dash. For the entire dash, I just use a microfibre cloth. Works great at picking up all the dust.

For the Rims I have have noticed this asaked before. dish soap works well on "crhome rims". being using it on my 06 f-150 for three years and always comes clean.

On my Journey and my PT rims I have used a "Magic Eraser" which is found everywhere. It seems to work very well on wheels. I have used it to take small rust spots off of my chrome wheels and it cleans without leaving any scratches.

One thing to remember about dish soap is that it will remove any wax that is on that surface. ;)

Terry

Edited by Windancer