Freemont 2014 dead battery two times now.

Hi.

6 month between each dead battery

First time I tolled the car to the service place and they charge my battery and that was all..

I made very long trips with the cars just a few days ago so it was fully charged and now battery dead, starting perfect one day battery showing 12-13V and next day 9V and car refuse to start just showing all kind of strange error message, they all go away if I charge the battery !!!

(using this to see my battery level, kinda crappy the car UI don't have that function: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-Mini-DC-12V-24V-Car-Digital-LCD-Engine-Battery-Voltage-Electric-Meter-Monitor-Indicator/1245081077.html )

There must be some technical stuff draining my battery and it happens very random.
There is not external stuff connected.

What kind of service bulletin is there for the 2014 Limited edition. VIN: 3C4PFBCY9ET316565 (I have latest RADIO and GPS software installed)

I hope you can help me and tell me what to do or what to tell my service center todo, I don't feel they will have the knowledge to fix this odd problem.

But you must measure the running voltage to know if the alternator and regulator are working.

in any case, while there was a problem with some of the 2011 modems discharging their batteries, as far as I know there is no fault in the Journey that remains - so there could be a fault of some sort (sometimes one of the bond strips between the battery cells gets loose and makes an intermittent connection that would seem like a discharged battery), there could be a loose bolt on the battery or jumper terminals, or perhaps you had an accessory plugged in to one of the power outlets that isn't controlled by the ignition?

But you must measure the running voltage to know if the alternator and regulator are working.

in any case, while there was a problem with some of the 2011 modems discharging their batteries, as far as I know there is no fault in the Journey that remains - so there could be a fault of some sort (sometimes one of the bond strips between the battery cells gets loose and makes an intermittent connection that would seem like a discharged battery), there could be a loose bolt on the battery or jumper terminals, or perhaps you had an accessory plugged in to one of the power outlets that isn't controlled by the ignition?

Nothing connected in any of the 12V outlet.

The alternator and regulator is working I think, when I measure with engine on I got 13.x Volt.

When I check the battery nothing looks wrong with the cables.

To me it feels like the sound system , or Radio is not really turned off in some odd circumstances and drain the battery during the night.

Or maybe the particle filter for the diesel that heats up some random times, accidently startup when the car is turned off? Just guessing now. Must be something that really can drain a fully loaded battery over a night.

Edited by Håkan Franzén

The dealer is going to have to look into this for you . . . . but an intermittent problem is extremely difficult to diagnose unless the symptoms are obvious.

Good luck.

was 6 month between the problem to showed up.

I only recall that I quickly changed the location of the car the day before, drove like 5 meter only.

Next day drained battery at 9V

Not sure I can reproduced that, but it's like the car gets ready to drive and turn all stuff on and if you then quickly turn it off it doesn't turn off all the functions and something is still on, even if everything looks normal.

Is it only me that can hear a buzzing high pitch sound from the motorhood right after you exit the car for 1 minute before it goes away? (guess around 12.000 Hz)

I guess I'm not sure what the goal of your post is then... It's VERY unlikely that you have some sporadic draw that occurs once every 6 months. If there is some system draining your battery, it is happening all of the time and it has only killed the battery a couple times due to some contributing factor like extended time parked, or something like that. You are going to have to do a little leg work to figure it out, there isn't going to be some magic post that answers your problem.

I guess I'm not sure what the goal of your post is then... It's VERY unlikely that you have some sporadic draw that occurs once every 6 months. If there is some system draining your battery, it is happening all of the time and it has only killed the battery a couple times due to some contributing factor like extended time parked, or something like that. You are going to have to do a little leg work to figure it out, there isn't going to be some magic post that answers your problem.

The thing is that it is sporadic (two times in 6 month is very sporadic) that's why I asked for help if anyone know of a service bulletin about that kind of problem on 2014 diesel models.

If you read my post a bit more careful I think you understand the nature of the problem.

I work with electronic and construct things, if it was as easy as in the vid the problem would been solved long ago.

Sounds you don't believe what I say, thats kinda rude.

English not my native and sorry if you don't understand what I am trying to say here.

Is it only me that can hear a buzzing high pitch sound from the motorhood right after you exit the car for 1 minute before it goes away? (guess around 12.000 Hz)

No, it's not only you (less than a minute though), but I never had problems with the battery in 4 years (crossing fingers).

I don't know of any specific TSBs that apply to your problem, but, I do own a diesel truck. Diesels require a huge starting amperage due to the high compression ratio of a diesel engine...that's why they don't need spark plugs. My truck for instance, because of the huge amperage draw, had two batteries. If your diesel only has one battery, the amp draw for starting will drain an already weakened battery severely and if it is only running for a minute or two (or less if you're only moving a few feet), the alternator has no chance to recharge the battery adequately. Doing that several times will cause damage to the plates to the extent that they will "charge", but, they won't hold a charge. Voltage only tells part of the story and doesn't relate well to the starting amperage or the ability to provide that amperage. The fact that your alternator is pumping 13.x volts into the battery does not mean that that voltage is being stored in the battery as amperage to be available. A charge level of 12 to 13 v, at rest with no load, does not indicate that the battery's amperage is adequate to start the vehicle. That is why battery tester equipment always tests the battery under a dummy load; that load demonstrates the ability of the battery to provide amperage and it is amperage that turns the starter motor, not voltage, and for a diesel, that amperage has to be provided quickly and continuously in order to overcome the high compression of a diesel and the motor has to run for an extended time to put that amperage back into the plates. Anything less, overtime, conditions the plates to not be able to provide that amperage on demand. My guess is that the plates are now sulfated, possibly even warped, by deep discharges and incomplete recharges. If you own a diesel, you can't start the motor, let it, basically, idle a few minutes while you move it to wash the vehicle at another spot on the driveway and then start it to move it back and expect the alternator to have enough engine speed and time to restore the amperage used to start the vehicle twice. That is one of the reasons, in the old days, truck and bus drivers, once they started their rigs let them run continuously until they were done for the day.

Another consideration for that issue is, as noted earlier, parasitic draw and the Journey has parasitic draw in spades. I found out that merely keeping my keys hanging on a hook within 10' of the car caused the components to never "go to sleep". The DJ on shutdown leaves most of the devices "listening" for the key fob. If it hears a handshake from the fob, it stays active waiting for the impetus to start the show. I had a dead battery once because of that and have since learned to keep my keys in the bedroom so that the car will "go to sleep" and have not had any problems since then.

Just as an FYI, if the Freemont is like the DJ, you have three power ports. The one in the dash is on only when the key is on. The ones in the console and the cargo area are hot all the time. It is possible that one of these has developed a short, and it only happens after you use it. Just a thought.

Edited by dhh3

Another consideration for that issue is, as noted earlier, parasitic draw and the Journey has parasitic draw in spades. I found out that merely keeping my keys hanging on a hook within 10' of the car caused the components to never "go to sleep". The DJ on shutdown leaves most of the devices "listening" for the key fob. If it hears a handshake from the fob, it stays active waiting for the impetus to start the show. I had a dead battery once because of that and have since learned to keep my keys in the bedroom so that the car will "go to sleep" and have not had any problems since then.

The normal place I have my keys are 19.6 feet (6 meter) But it happens very few times I put my keys at the kitchen where I have my wallet and thats a lot closer to the car. around 10 feet (3 meter)

Because of the very odd nature of the problem (two times in 6 month) this could be the problem, but I guess it will take time to prove this, else I could try to put my keys some day I don't need the car and can then charge it up after if needed.

Thanks alot for that!

That's not likely the problem, since I often leave my keys in the vehicle, just outside it on a shelf, of the kitchen and so on, and have never had a dead battery (strangely except for the one time when the dealer tried to start the Crossroad when I went to collect it when I bought it) with either of the 2 journeys that I've owned.

It isn't an issue if you drive the car daily. It can be an issue if the car sits for any length of time. I never had the problem until I had let the car sit for a week without driving it. If the OP already has a weak battery, and the high amperage draw of the diesel, it could be an issue. Your battery being dead on delivery may well have been a result of the same issue. The cars, when shipped, are supposed to be put into "transport mode" so that the battery doesn't go dead during transport (my dealer showed me the key presses required to put in the transport mode). If your car was not put into transport mode, your battery may have been weakened during transport and once delivered to the dealer, it wouldn't have been driven enough to recharge the battery. If they put your keys in the vehicle prior to your actually driving it away, that may have been enough to kill the battery.