2014 Dodge Journey Limited Starting Problem

Mel

I bought a new 2014 Dodge Journey Limited in February 2014. In May I had to take it in to the Dodge dealer because it wouldn't start. It's a push button starting system where you press the brake and push the start button.

The problem only occurs when the brake pedal will only go down a fraction of an inch instead of about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch (estimate) as it normally does. I've taken it to the dealer 3 times for this same problem, although the problem has occurred more times than that. Usually the car will start after waiting 5 minutes to 45 minutes and trying again. The only change to the original factory installed equipment was a backup camera that was added by the dealer 3 days after I purchased the vehicle.

The first time I took it in, the dealer replaced the Body Control Module. That seemed to work for a while but the problem started happening again. Two more trips to the dealer and they couldn't find the problem. It is an intermittent problem and I understand that those are difficult to find, but the problem always happens at very inopportune times. Yesterday it wouldn't start and I was stuck at a shopping center in 100+% weather. This is very frustrating and I'm worried it may happen when my wife is alone in the car.

I do like the truck but am getting tired of taking it to the dealer for the same problem over and over.

The dealer can't find/fix the problem so I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and can offer suggestions.

Thank you

Welcome to the forum.

3 things are involved in the start process that come to mind immediately

1.the brake switch mounted on the pedal assy.

2.the range selector neutral/park start position.

3.the fob not being recognized properly by computer.

Have you tried starting it in neutral instead of park when this occurs?

Thank you for the reply.

I haven't tried the neutral suggestion but will when it happens again.

The service manager said that when I take it in on Friday, they may try changing the brake switch. I'll remind them when I take it in.

The other idea I read about in this forum was using the round end of the keyless remote to press the start button. Apparently there is a chip in there that can be used to start it if the remote battery is dead.

I was able to call Chrysler and get a case number assigned so perhaps they can figure it out after talking with the dealer's people.

Will keep you posted in here...

The message you get when trying to start will go a long way to help diagnose the cause. If the FOB isn't being detected you'll get a message to that effect. If the vehicle isn't perceived as being in Park, you get a message that says THAT. If your brake pedal isn't pressed there's a message for that too.

My vote is an improperly adjusted brake switch - when there's no vacuum and the pedal can't be depressed there probably isn't enough travel to actuate the switch. Your dealer would need to bleed off the vacuum to test this, of course.

Thank you for the reply.

I haven't tried the neutral suggestion but will when it happens again.

The service manager said that when I take it in on Friday, they may try changing the brake switch. I'll remind them when I take it in.

The other idea I read about in this forum was using the round end of the keyless remote to press the start button. Apparently there is a chip in there that can be used to start it if the remote battery is dead.

I was able to call Chrysler and get a case number assigned so perhaps they can figure it out after talking with the dealer's people.

Will keep you posted in here...

If the fob battery is weak or dead you will also get a message in the EVIC window.

If you can't move the shifter from park to neutral then it definitely is the brake switch.

The message you get when trying to start will go a long way to help diagnose the cause. If the FOB isn't being detected you'll get a message to that effect. If the vehicle isn't perceived as being in Park, you get a message that says THAT. If your brake pedal isn't pressed there's a message for that too.

My vote is an improperly adjusted brake switch - when there's no vacuum and the pedal can't be depressed there probably isn't enough travel to actuate the switch. Your dealer would need to bleed off the vacuum to test this, of course.

Thank you for this post. I'll be sure to mention this idea to the service manager whe I take it in on Friday.

If the fob battery is weak or dead you will also get a message in the EVIC window.

If you can't move the shifter from park to neutral then it definitely is the brake switch.

Thank you. I did move the shifter to reverse yesterday but not to neutral. The brake switch is starting to look suspicious though.

I dont think it's the fob because the problem happened with my wife's fob a couple months ago too. Hard to believe both went bad at the same time. However, yesterday, when it finally started, I did take the fob from my pocket and held it in my hand as I pushed the start button. So...not sure at this point.

THAT is quite another matter . . . . . so it 'tries to start', but 'fails'? As in it cranks but the engine doesn't catch?

There will (should) be a code they can read and hopefully properly fix it . . . . make sure they know that they already tried resetting the ECU and that it is NOT a permanent solution.

Edited by bramfrank

No, it doesn't try to start. There are just some sounds, electronic and fan I think. Many lights appear on the EVIC but the only one left when it doesn't start is the Check Engine light. The dealer told me they checked the "computer" in the vehicle but couldn't find any error codes.

I'm going to print out this topic, hi-lite some of the suggestions, and give it to the service manager tomorrow when I take it in.

No, it doesn't try to start. There are just some sounds, electronic and fan I think. Many lights appear on the EVIC but the only one left when it doesn't start is the Check Engine light. The dealer told me they checked the "computer" in the vehicle but couldn't find any error codes.

I'm going to print out this topic, hi-lite some of the suggestions, and give it to the service manager tomorrow when I take it in.

The messages I'm talking about will happen while you are trying to start it, not after....

The messages I'm talking about will happen while you are trying to start it, not after....

Yes. There are a lot of lights when I try to start it and it fails to start. It hasn't happened since Tuesday but next time it does, I'll try to get a pic of it and post it here.

• 1 month later...

Update:

It finally failed to start while at the dealer. They looked at the system on their laptop and all the diagnostics were ok. Then the tech opened the hood and checked the fuse box. He popped out the starter solenoid and put it back in and the vehicle started. The next day they replaced that solenoid and its been working ok since then. That was about 2 and a half weeks ago, so (fingers crossed) I think they fixed the problem.

Thank you to all who responded with suggestions for this. I appreciate your help.

Edited by Mel

• 2 months later...

Anyone else have problem with their 2014 Journey starting? She only has 9479kms and was purchased new. FCA roadside assistance sent tow company out for a boost. She started for them but the check engine light is staying on. Will be bringing her into the dealership tomorrow but just wondering if anyone else experienced this.

You'll probably get better responses by starting your own topic, rather than extending someone else's.

What do you mean by 'not starting'? Does it crank, but doesn't catch? Does it do nothing? Does it click, but not crank? Is your battery dead? Did you leave something open that caused the battery to drain?

What lights are on when you try to start the vehicle? Do the interior lights, door locks and radio work normally during this no-start condition?

That you had a check engine light implies that unless you start it a bunch of times before you get the vehicle to the dealer, they can read the code and use it to help located the problem.