Winter wheel setup?

ecl

I've been debating my 2 inter wheel setup and figured I would ask what others do. I can either get winter tires for my current 19" wheels and have the swapped at spring/fall or get some stock 17" wheels and put the winter tires on those and just swap them when the time comes in the garage. I've found a set of 17"s for 200 bucks. Either way both setups will cost me around 700 bucks. What would you do?

17 inch tires are cheaper than 19s when it comes time to replace them and if you use steel rims for the winter setup you will not beat up your summer wheels, your tire beads will thank you because you won't be mounting tires and balancing them twice a year and you wallet will thank you because you'll save the $50 or $60 or more they'll be charging you twice per year for the swap.

I went the steel wheel route.

Yeah I knew 17" were cheaper that's why I started looking for some steel wheels. Didn't find steel ones but found some alloys 17" off a 2014 journey some wants to sell. Getting them for 200. I forgot to factor in the cost when I comes time to swap them, around here it cost 100 bucks to do just that, so would be 200 a year extra.

Thanks for your input.

That's ridiculous to charge $100 to swap rim/tire sets. It takes all of a few minutes to do, and you can easily do it yourself. There's no mounting/balancing needed, just bolt them on and go.

I'm pretty sure he meant to mount the tires on a single set of wheels... So taking off the summer tires and replacing them with the winter tires. This would require quite a bit more work.

Edited by Lobitz68

I have not used snow tires for years. When I was working, I lived very close to my job. And, I plan my winter trips around the weather. My Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus tires performed flawlessly in the snow, last winter, so I see no need to change out to winter tires. In California, in the mountains, you need either chains or 4wd. At that time I had a Subaru and the cops let me pass!

Edited by dhh3

Yeah the 100 was to dismount and remount the tires. I also haven't had a real need for winter tires except once. I would rather have them on and not need them need and not have. I had one instance where because my tires I wasn't able to get out of my parents drive way even with awd with just all season tires, their driveway is long and steep. Seeing as I've only had the journey for 2 months I haven't seen how it handles in the snow and just looking to be prepared since it's the main family vehicle.