Journey Tires for SXT AWD

The Journey SXT AWD & R/T come equiped with 225/55R 19 Kumho Solus KH16 Tires.

I asked my dealer about a warranty for the tires but it is not available. I asked about tire availability but could not get an answer except that Chrysler has to stock spare parts for the vehicle. They told me that by the time my vehicle arrives in about a month he would have an answer!

Just for the hech of it I googled Kumho web sites and was unable to to find a tire of that size for sale.

I guess I"m a little worried because on a previous new vehicle I had a tire go bad within the first month. I had to buy a new one but at least the size was available.

Anyone have any additional information on these tires, and warranties, etc?

Thanks

The Journey SXT AWD & R/T come equiped with 225/55R 19 Kumho Solus KH16 Tires.

I asked my dealer about a warranty for the tires but it is not available. I asked about tire availability but could not get an answer except that Chrysler has to stock spare parts for the vehicle. They told me that by the time my vehicle arrives in about a month he would have an answer!

Just for the hech of it I googled Kumho web sites and was unable to to find a tire of that size for sale.

I guess I"m a little worried because on a previous new vehicle I had a tire go bad within the first month. I had to buy a new one but at least the size was available.

Anyone have any additional information on these tires, and warranties, etc?

Thanks

I've been trying to find info as well and came up with nothing from the Kumho website.

I do believe that the tire repairs (road hazard only) are on the warranty through Dodge but I do not know about full replacement (manufactures defects). I did read someplace that the dodge dealership will prorate the warranty for replacements if the tire is no good

My 2 cents anywho

Rob

These tires are now available at www.tires-easy.com and cost $177 each plus, plus & plus. It will cost a wee bit to retire but the treadlife is 60,000 Miles. I would think that as time goes by more and more manufacture's will offer this size of tire like Michelin. I Hope!

• 3 weeks later...

I had a "road hazard" last Tuesday and my dealer told me he won't be able to have a spare one before mid-June.

And he is doing everything in his power to get one form the assembly line...witch seems to be very hard (I don't know why).

Totally unacceptable in my point of vue. Dodge should have done their homeworks to be shure to have more than on manufacturer for this size. And have Spare Tires in inventory as parts too...

I was told other manufacturers will do this size of tire in the future. And What about Winter tires? (I'am canadian).

I had my Journey for less than one month now: I have not even done a first payment on my lease, and it was easier to get rubber carpets for it(within 24hrs) than getting a very important part as a simple Tire.

Be very carefull with your tires till other manufacturers produce this size is my advice...

Welcome to the form Coyoteben,

I was afraid this would happen. I guess the tire is not repairable either? I will be talking to my dealer in the next couple of days to make sure he is fully aware of the tire situation and I hope everyone does the same. If I wasn't so dame anxious to get this vehicle I would probally refuse delivery until spare tires were available. My experience is no flat tires for years and then have two in a row.

Winter tires may be a bigger problem and they are a legal requirement in Quebec for Winter driving.

Good Luck with getting a replacement tire.

Keith

Well, good news!

My dealer found some tires and will receive them by the end of the week.

Since this trouble appened, my dealer gave me a courtesy vehicle (free of course)===> and it's a Dodge Journey (Basic). Sorry for those of you waiting for one...

It runs on the 2.4 liters 4 cylinders (think it's the same as the Caliber); I better like the 3.5 v6 on my R/T==> more quiet and more power...

Thanks Keith. I have the same concern as you for the winter tires...

I'm hoping the 16" steel wheels will fit on my RT- that are now on the basic SE model with snow tires that will be close to the 19" wheels that come with the RT

Maybe a 65/16 will be close to a 55/19 in diameter

I took our test drive car with the 19" Kumho's and was impressed in the deep snow in the back alley, grabbed traction and took off very well.

I think the brake rotors are the same diameter aren't they? if they are, I can not see why the 16's would not fit on the SXT AWD or the R/T

Rob

I think Rick is right.

The Journey SE (basic model) is equiped with 16" Hankook tires. Hankook DYNAPRO 225/70 r16

Larry, 255/70 would be the appropriate size for the winter tires on 16" wheels on the SXT and R/T.

Logically, i don't think the brake size should be a concern on the SXT and R/T with 16" wheels.

With ordinary steel wheels and winter tires, you will preserve your Alu Wheels and $$$winter tires. I did the same thing to preserve my Dodge Grand Caravan mag wheels.

As for the road hazard, my dealer told me it's not covered by the warranty The hasard was on the tire sidewall...

For more info go to : http://www.kumhotire.ca/tirebasics/warranty_information.php

I'll keep you guys informed

Ben

Logically, i don't think the brake size should be a concern on the SXT and R/T with 16" wheels.

Ben

sorry Ben, I should have been a little clearer, I'm bad.

If the SXT AWD and the R/T come with the 19" wheels from factory putting 16" wheels on may be an issue if the brakes are larger. Outside edge of the caliper may rub the inside of the 16" wheel.

sorry about that, my mystake

Rob

I switch every fall to snows on steel-it has saved my T&C wheels

I dont think Chrysler would change the braking system for an SE SXT or RT as it would complicate the assembly line

Snow tires are superior to any all season tire anytime

I pick my RT up this afternoon

Hey all, I checked the new Dodge.ca site, (they updated it to show a comparison of all models and options) and it shows the SE only available with 16" wheels, but the SXT FWD rides on 17's standard with optional 19's.

This tells me that if the FWD SXT can run on 19's then the AWD SXT should be able to ride on 19's.

Here is some tire data from www.1010tires.com

Stock Tire - 225/55R19 Tire 1 - 225/65R17

Section Width: 8.85 in 225 mm Section Width: 8.85 in 225 mm

Rim Diameter: 19 in 482.6 mm Rim Diameter: 17 in 431.8 mm

Rim Width Range: Unrecognized tire size. Rim Width Range: 6 - 8 in

Overall Diameter: 28.74 in 729.99 mm Overall Diameter: 28.51 in 724.15 mm

Sidewall Height: 4.87 in 123.69 mm Sidewall Height: 5.75 in 146.05 mm

Radius: 14.37 in 364.99 mm Radius: 14.25 in 361.95 mm

Circumference: 90.28 in 2293.1 mm Circumference: 89.56 in 2274.8 mm

Revs per Mile: 723.7 Revs per Mile: 729.5

Actual Speed: 60 mph 100 km/h Speedometer1: 60.4 mph 100. km/h

Speedometer Difference: - Speedometer Difference: 0.801% too fast

Diameter Difference: - Diameter Difference: 0.81%

I hope this formats okay on the forum.

Rick

I just got a reply back from Good Year regadring tires for the Journey, and here is the quote from the email:

"Hello and thank you for your e-mail. We do not have any current plans to

support this size. We have no tires in this size. Please see your local

Goodyear retailer to inquire as to whether or not you have optional sizes

that you can use.

Sincerely,

Customer Representative,

Goodyear Customer Assistance Centre (Canada)

I am still waiting for an answer back from other companies.

Rick.

I also found this information on the brakes,...

Brake specs

Four-wheel Anti-lock Disc ..........Standard on all models

Front

Size and Type .................11.9 x 1.1 in. (302 x 28 mm) vented rotors with 2.6 (66.0) single-piston

floating caliper

Swept Area (total front) .............55.0 sq. in. (355 sq. cm)

Rear

Size and Type ..........................12.0 x 0.47 in. (305 x 12 mm) solid rotors with 2.6 (66.0) single-piston

floating caliper

Swept Area (total rear) .............54.3 sq. in. (350 sq. cm)

Power Assist Type .....................8 x 9 in. (204 x 230 mm) tandem-diaphragm vacuum

Parking Brake Type ..................Foot lever with integral parking brake

looks to me the brakes are the same size just as Rick mentioned. I can't see a problem running 16's for winter.

Rob

I had my Journey for less than one month now: I have not even done a first payment on my lease, and it was easier to get rubber carpets for it(within 24hrs) than getting a very important part as a simple Tire.

Did you get rubber floor mats from the dealer? I am curious to know how much they were. My kids play field lacrosse and am concerned about spring mud...thank you in advance for your reply.

Angie

muddaofthree

Can't help with the rubber mats but one of the Form members wasn't too happy with the MOPAR mats for this vehicle. No ridges to hold the water in! I'm hopping someone will come up with a recomendation before next Winter.

TIRE SITUATION: I went to the Dealer on Friday to check on availability of 19" tires for the SXT and at first they indicated no problem. Upon my insistence they had the Parts Person check it out and sure enought; 24 on back order with an availability of end of June. Were they surprised! Looks like the ball was dropped from a great height on this one.

Having said all this, many thanks to Form members who did some research and discoveried a couple of tire distributers that have some available and could be purchased if needed. My point however,0 is that this vehicle should be supported by the dealership and Chrysler no matter what the problem is including flat tires and I believe this will happen as more people bring this problem to their attention.

Keith

I found this today on the TireRack web page:

It says it is a new item:

Kumho Solus KH16

Size: 225/55TR19

Serv. Desc: 99T Load Index 99 = 1709lbs (775kg) per tire

Speed Rating “T” = 118mph (190kph) UTQG: Treadwear: 440

Traction: A

Temperature: A440 A A

Price: $164.00 (each)

Estimated Availability: In Stock

I hope this helps out for those who were worried or need them right away.

I am sure discount tire will have them as well.

Seth

Reply to muddaofthree

I bought them from the dealer/parts dept. cost: 97$ +tx CDN for 4 carpets. Altough they look great with the "Journey" logo, I would not recommend them for Winter. They don't have good water retention for the driver and front passenger. Plus, they will mess your pants during winter.

Ask to see them before buying.

But as for Spring mud, they will do great.

• 4 weeks later...