DIY Crossroad-like Tail Lights

This is how I imagine Dave in the kitchen....

dark-side-cookies-shirt.jpg

You forgot the $1,500 back brace and the $4,995 bone stimulator. Other than that, you pretty much nailed it. I am being referred to as "Robo Cop"

The blacked out tail lamps are kind of cool on my Crossroad. When it is parked in the garage, all I see are the small round reflectors in the center of each lamp!

Edited by dhh3

I love the crossroad tail lights. I had mine tinted for a while but got tired of the look. If the red of the lights was a little darker than the red of my car, I would be happy. Anyone know where I can get a cheaper set of replacement light housings? Rock auto has them for over 100/pc. If I could get them cheaper I might consider it. Thanks for the feedback!

I love the crossroad tail lights. I had mine tinted for a while but got tired of the look. If the red of the lights was a little darker than the red of my car, I would be happy. Anyone know where I can get a cheaper set of replacement light housings? Rock auto has them for over 100/pc. If I could get them cheaper I might consider it. Thanks for the feedback!

Just lightly tint them with Niteshades... After a wet sand and a polish they should retain the red, but be darker. That's how mine are. Night and day difference next to a car that has un-tinted lights, but not dark enough to be dangerous or for the cops to think they are tinted.

^^^ That's what I did to my jeep ^^^.

I didn't sand theM or nothing just a light tint to taken the redness away and it looks pretty good imo. I've considered doing the same to my journey but I like the led look so I might get some aftermarket led brake lights later on.

The tint shop I used also installed a light tint covering on my headlights. He took me to see how he used the dark tint on his truck taillights too. It looked great but, it is on the outside of the lens. It is a 1/8" thick rubber like material that stretches a little and s friction fit and installed like window tinting Cost was about $30 each side, but can be removed later without any issues. My headlight covering has been on for almost a year now, no issues.

I have been thinking about niteshade but Im not to keen on sanding my lights and I don't want it to be too dark. I did have them plastidipped for a while, but am going to be taking some longer trips across the US and don't want to worry about cops pulling me over. That's why I was thinking of painting the inside. How easy is niteshade to remove and can it be applied without sanding?

I have been thinking about niteshade but Im not to keen on sanding my lights and I don't want it to be too dark. I did have them plastidipped for a while, but am going to be taking some longer trips across the US and don't want to worry about cops pulling me over. That's why I was thinking of painting the inside. How easy is niteshade to remove and can it be applied without sanding?

You don't need to sand your tail lights if you're using niteshade, all you need to do is thoroughly clean it with alcohol. After it dries apply one thin coat on the tail light and let it get tacky (takes about 3 mins) then spray two more coats 5 - 10 minutes apart depending on the humidity and it should be good to go. Niteshade will last up to two years on your lights even if you pass your car through the automatic carwash once a week. If you get stopped by the police and they ask you to remove it, you can easily remove niteshade with coton and finger nail polish remover without scratching your tail lights.

You don't need to sand your tail lights if you're using niteshade, all you need to do is thoroughly clean it with alcohol. After it dries apply one thin coat on the tail light and let it get tacky (takes about 3 mins) then spray two more coats 5 - 10 minutes apart depending on the humidity and it should be good to go. Niteshade will last up to two years on your lights even if you pass your car through the automatic carwash once a week. If you get stopped by the police and they ask you to remove it, you can easily remove niteshade with coton and finger nail polish remover without scratching your tail lights.

I would clear coat them and polish them at a minimum. Niteshades has a very dull appearance and it will look unfinished and/or cheap without it.

• 3 months later...