The Alpine upgrade in 2015 models is dreadful

Having spent weeks diving into the system, it simply has a silly design and is worse than the stock system. It is designed with the four door speakers serving as woofers with low pass filters on these speakers. There is a subwoofer in the cargo area. The two dash speakers have high pass filters. It sounds like a muffled hot mess. Folks in the 2nd or 3rd row seats will hear only muffled rumbling, not any sense of music. Sirius is unlistenable it simply sounds horrible. I got the upgrade as it is easier to get aftermarket gear if you do so. How can Dodge claim it meets their standards as well as those from Alpine with any semblance of a straight face? On Alpine's Dodge site, some photos show five of the dash speakers suggesting along the way three were deleted from other locations. Replacing the door speakers with triaxel speakers greatly improved the sound. The amp has no on board controls nor is there a way for the consumer to change the firmware. The subwoofer feed needs to have some db increase. Trying to find out the dimensions of the dash speakers is fruitless (I will waste time and money with an installer to finally figure out the size of the dash speakers and promise to share, take that keeper of the secret dash speaker size.) Alpine should be embarrassed its name is associated with this very subpar system.

Edited by BearmeatDC

I skipped the upgraded stereo all together. I've never heard one that sounds good. Rather than waste time and money with an installer, why not put components in the doors? I just mounted the tweeter from the components in the sail panel. The new speakers sound a million times better and you can't hear the junk "tweeters" in the dash over how bright the component tweeters are...I just left them hooked up.

There are plenty of threads concerning this. I took pictures of the dash speakers and well documented the route I took to get a superior sound. Use the search function. That is what it is for. I may apply for a Patent for my system, and start charging user fees!

Edited by dhh3

It's not a terrible system, but the Infinity-II that came with my 300M is certainly better. Honestly the only good audio system in a current FCA vehicle is the Harmon/Kardon offered on 300 and Charger. The Alpine is "okay", and the Beats is garbage.

Dhh3, your insights have helped many and I understand you like the sail panel tweeters. I want more mid range and thus seek to replace the dash speakers. Your insights as to diameter helped but your pictures don't show the depth. I have searched widely for the depth of the dash speakers. I posted here, as many looking to buy a Journey look here. Something fits as something came out. Otherwise I like my Journey.

Dhh3, your insights have helped many and I understand you like the sail panel tweeters. I want more mid range and thus seek to replace the dash speakers. Your insights as to diameter helped but your pictures don't show the depth. I have searched widely for the depth of the dash speakers. I posted here, as many looking to buy a Journey look here. Something fits as something came out. Otherwise I like my Journey.

I'm the sail panel guy, dhh3 replaced the dash speakers... I don't remember, but did he list the model of the speaker in his thread? If so, it should be easy enough to get the specifications of the speaker online. He said they barely fit and actually had to be glued in if I recall correctly. The whole front panel just pops straight up, shouldn't be too hard to get in there without paying a shop to do it.

Alpine makes two sets of tweeters. The only difference is the crossovers. One set has a small box; the other is an inline crossover. The tweeters just fit under the defroster panel with the inline crossover. There was no room for the little box crossover. The speakers themselves are identical. There is slightly more room on the passenger side. I replaced my door speakers with 6x9 2 way Alpines. There are plenty of mids coming from these speakers. The tweeters enhance the mids. On some of my old CDs, i'm hearing sounds that I never heard before.

Are all of you just replacing your speakers or are you also replacing the amplifier and running fresh speaker wires into the doors? I'm pondering installing Infinity Reference speakers since they aren't as power hungry as the Infinity Kappas I installed in my 300M, which necessitated a new amp and new speaker wires.

I replaced all of the speakers except the sub (so far.) I also replaced the amp. I do think you could move thru steps as you may get to a spot you are happy with - without going further. I would start with the front door speakers. You will see a big difference. Then back doors and/or dash speakers. The factory amp seems to put out decent power.

I replaced all of my speakers, using the factory wiring. The Kicker sub is tied into the radio output harness, in between the radio and the Alpine Brick Amp. The amp is located somewhere behind the radio.

In my 2015, the Alpine amp is under the passenger seat. My new amp was installed in the shallow box in the cargo area nearest the lift gate. It is a 1000 watt five channel amp that accomodates 2 ohm speakers (or 4 ohm.)

In my 2015, the Alpine amp is under the passenger seat. My new amp was installed in the shallow box in the cargo area nearest the lift gate. It is a 1000 watt five channel amp that accomodates 2 ohm speakers (or 4 ohm.)

I am building a sub box in that compartment... Not a ton of room in there!