DJ won't start! New redtop battery too,

Hi all,

I had front bumper glides replaced at a body shop, while it was there the battery went flat. Body shop used booster pack to get it going before I collected it, I drove it home (about 10 mins drive) then wouldn't start straight after turning engine off. Engine warning light is flickering (not flashing) almost like a short or some sort. I bought a brand new optima redtop in case the old battery was on its way out. Still nothing! The engine warning light still flickers and the security red LED is flashing, not even a click or attempt to turn over!! The only time it tried to turn over was when a second car was connected with jump leads and negative connected to the body.. Thinking an earth/ground is wrong?! Is there an earth plug on the front bumper it's a 2010 DJ CRD 2.0 diesel, I'm in UK. Is it possible it's logged a fault code and is stopping the engine from starting through the immobiliser? All other lights on dash are solid only the engine light has a constant flicker.

Many thanks in advance

Jon

My guess is that a ground was disconnected at the body shop and either not tightened at all or not tightened properly....

I would check the connections at the jumper post and each of the grounds.

Edited by Lobitz68

Update...

Thanks Lobitz, fixed it last night. I thought the same a ground disconnected or a battery problem.. Turns out the I needed to clear all faults stored in the computer and I found a bad positive connection within the smaller fuse box attached to the positive battery terminal in the engine bay, it houses the PCM fuse, funny thing is.. This second.. Smaller fuse box isn't even in the engine bay diagram for my 2.0 crd diesel in the manual! Isn't supposed to exist! Any way I was going to just order a new fuse box (it's about 4 inch by 2") but before that took all fuses and relays out and stripped it and put it back together and seems fine.

Lesson learnt.. Never let the AGM battery go flat at a body shop either, the booster pack they used caused lots of faults to be store which may have immobilised the alarm. I got told by an auto spark to always take the battery off and charge off the car.. Easier said than done when you have to take the wheel off though, so people tend to take the easy option and jump it. Not good with a redtop battery, also now know you should use a certain charger suitable for AGM's. As it's happens I have a couple of oxford oximisers for my motorbikes which are suitable so result!

Thanks for the reply!!

Oh and I found the rear torch (flash light) unseated half tilted out when I got it back so may have been the cause of the flat battery at the body shop... Curious body shop guy not putting it back in properly!

Seconded on the flashlight not causing a battery drain. My T&C has one, and the Mrs. is knocking it out of the charger all the time (not that it works in the first place - we bought the van used and the flashlight has never worked reliably). It wouldn't cause any battery issues (unless you did something stupid to the charge receptacle on the vehicle). 5 year old vehicle with the original battery is getting close to borrowed time. A faulty cable will accelerate things.