need cross bars for factory roof rails on crossroad (want to mount thule)

Hey guys new member! i just got a 15' crossroad. I will be taking a small trip in a little while and will end up getting a thule carrier for the top. I have a few questions.

Since i have never had a thule carrier, is it best to use their cross bars with the rack?

I was thinking it was best to use the factory type and mount the thule to that?

thanks for the help

Welcome to the forum. The Thule bars will be more "universal" and some how, I believe, clamp to the tops of the door openings. They could clamp to the roof rails, but I'd go with the Factory crossbars. I found a new set on ebay for around $100.00.

I agree with dhh3 - the OEM bars fit the rails properly and slide back and forth without crimping or otherwise damaging the rails.

You can usually find them on eBay at reasonable prices.

You might want to take note the factory spec for the roof rack's weight limits, not that anyone ever pays attention to that.

SCORE!! i have to check when the wife gets home to see if they fit BUT ironically i have a brand new set of cross bars that came with my 08 grand cherokee overland. I forgot i even had them because they were stored up in the garage. Just from some measurements i saw online i think they are the same exact length.

when i typed in vehicle info on the thule site as if i was buying their crossbars they listed 43" . I checked my bars and not being exactly sure whey they are measured from I'm coming up with about 43" also. I have my fingers crossed.

Edited by crossroad

well im out of luck. :( The GC rails i have are in fact different sizes, one is a little longer. The problem is when i held the longest one at the back of the journey it was about 3-4" longer than the rails..... so looks like i will be on the lookout for some..

I agree with dhh3 - the OEM bars fit the rails properly and slide back and forth without crimping or otherwise damaging the rails.

You can usually find them on eBay at reasonable prices.

$100 + for two pieces of 3' aluminum rail is NOT reasonable to me....lol

I so wish I would have noticed so I could have snatched the ones off our 09 before we traded it in.

• 7 months later...

The Thule setup is a sweet setup. The Thule Crossroad mount connects securely to most factory side rails. I have also owned an equal amount of Yakima racks and equipment mounts and they are great as well but I favor the Thule on a vehicle with factory rails. The only thing I will add is if you want to lock your mounts and rails or your sports equipment you need to buy locks with either Thule or Yakima brands. One topic on this forum the people were upset that locks weren't included. There was never a mention of getting free locks anyway. I am tired of quality products getting bad ratings because someone didn't read what was included and expected things they weren't promised.

The Thule setup is a sweet setup. The Thule Crossroad mount connects securely to most factory side rails. I have also owned an equal amount of Yakima racks and equipment mounts and they are great as well but I favor the Thule on a vehicle with factory rails. The only thing I will add is if you want to lock your mounts and rails or your sports equipment you need to buy locks with either Thule or Yakima brands. One topic on this forum the people were upset that locks weren't included. There was never a mention of getting free locks anyway. I am tired of quality products getting bad ratings because someone didn't read what was included and expected things they weren't promised.

Happens on Amazon a lot. People leave bad ratings because something didn't come with batteries when the description clearly states no batteries are included

When I buy a quality item I buy it from the manufacture or a company I have brought from before. The Weathertech mat I bought for my DJ came from Weathertech. I wanted the proper fit for my year and not one of the Amazon dealers would confirm it fit my car exactly. It cost $127 inc. shipping same as most. Both Thule and Yakima car racks say locks are not included but if you want them they sell them. Don't buy something expecting anything unless you have gone and investigated the purchase. I bought my latest rack at EMS on sale including a six pack of keyed alike locks. Nothing wrong with saving money but when it doesn't work out suck it up.

I just bought a set of Thule snow ski/snow board racks that will clamp on my cross bars. They come with locks, but the first set didn't come with keys! I'm hoping that I can use them for fishing poles. These are listed as a Mopar accessory, so they should fit!

Edited by dhh3