Please explain uconnect

I called uconnect and got 3 different answers on what my radio can do. It is a 2015 srx can u add anything to stock radio? Such as apps they offer or navigation. Strange to have a service for $11 a month but restrict it to only higher end vehicles. U connect said I can add nothing, and can't add any services.

uConnect on the Journey is a closed system - the new uConnect Access is not available for the present platform. Chrysler is rolling out the new system out as the models are being refreshed, which likely means we'll see it in the Journey for the 2017 model year in mid 2016.

uConnect changed the meaning of the term in 2011 - it originally implied that you had Bluetooth - but Chrysler redefined it to mean that it integrated a bunch of software functionality including control of the air conditioning, entertainment system, heated seats and steering wheel, backup camera, GPS navigation and vehicle configuration - it caught the dealers with their pants down and a whole lot of vehicles showed up at dealers that year without Bluetooth as a result (including mine).

So, the system is what it is and about the only thing you can do to the uConnect in your vehicle is to upgrade the display to the 8.4" (if you don't already have it) and to add in navigation to the larger display. You can also add in the backup camera, again if you don't have it on your vehicle now.

The cost of upgrading depends on what you have now and how you source the parts.

I have the 8.4 inch screen, but no navigation or back up camera. One person at uconnect said I can upgrade to navigation, then another person said I can't. The strange thing is Uconect website hasn't even been updated for 2015 models. They also have a monthly subscription service, but it isn't available on all models. I would think you would want to make the service available to as many people as possible.

you have what is called an RE2 radio. It supports DVDs, SiruisXM radio with TravelLink and controls your various functions.

You can install a backup camera (you can buy the OEM kit for around $265) but you need to have the dealer flash the sales code that enables it after you install it. It takes a good 3 hours to install by yourself.

If you want navigation you'll need to buy a new radio equipped with the Garmin module and software. It uses the SiriusXM antenna, so that's all you need. They can be had for between about $650 and $2,000 (the latter for a new unit from a dealer). The radio takes all of 10 minutes to change and you then move your SiriusXM subscription from the old unit to the new. Your vehicle features (heated seats, backup camera and so on) all continue to work because the data that enables them is stored in the body controller module and is read by the radio when it is powered up.

How do I know? I did both upgrades about 6 weeks ago.

Thanks for the information. I think I get it. Whatever came with car is what you get. Sirius is free for first year, but if you go to uconnect website if you have higher end features you can pay monthly to use the features. I would think if I ran uconnect I would want everyone to have access to pay me a monthly fee. It looks like you need higher end vehicles to do that. I thought it was more like an onstar product where you can monitor your vehicle as well. I really don't need any addional fees, but it would be nice if the features were something I wanted.