Power steering pump

Yoeman

Could some one please post on how to remove the power steering pump on my 2012 Dodge Journey 3.6

I'm looking at it with no clue as I can't even get my had between the fram rail and pulley

Thanks

Could some one please post on how to remove the power steering pump on my 2012 Dodge Journey 3.6

I'm looking at it with no clue as I can't even get my hand between the frame rail and pulley

Thanks

It was hit in the front right and bent the pulley

Looks like I need to drop the front axle and lower suspension plus try to get the exhaust off

What a design!!!!

Any info from the service manuals?

3.6L Engine

3.6L ENGINE

GUID-19-019-000-2982480.gif

1. Remove negative (-) battery cable from battery and isolate cable.

2. Remove cap from power steering fluid reservoir.

Using a siphon pump, remove as much power steering fluid as possible from power steering fluid reservoir.

Remove accessory drive belt (Refer to Cooling/Accessory Drive/BELT, Serpentine - Removal)

Raise and support vehicle (Refer to Vehicle Quick Reference/Hoisting - Standard Procedure).

Remove exhaust pipe (Refer to Exhaust System/PIPE, Exhaust Crossunder/Removal).

Remove 3 heat shield mounting bolts (2). Remove heat shield (1) from vehicle.

GUID-19-019-000-2982514.gif

Remove supply hose clamp (1) and remove supply hose from power steering pump fitting.

GUID-19-019-000-2982496.gif

Remove power steering pump pressure hose fitting (2).

Remove three pump mounting bolts through pump pulley (not shown in figure).

3.6L

3.6L

GUID-11-000-030-2900456.gif

Click to Enlarge

1. Disconnect the negative battery.

2. Hoist the vehicle.

If equipped, remove lower engine shield.

Remove the two cross-under support (2) bolts.

Remove the front flange nuts (4) from the flange studs.

Remove the rear flange bolts (5).

GUID-11-000-001-2904947.gif

NOTE

To help aid in the cross-under pipe removal. The front exhaust pipe grommet needs to be removed.

Remove the front muffler/resonator pipe grommet (4).

Using a jack or suitable stand. Position the stand under the muffler piping to help support and aid in removal from the cross-under pipe.

GUID-11-000-003-2900777.gif

NOTE

Removal of the half shaft will gain access to the exhaust pipe and aid in its separation due to tight tolerances.

Remove the half shaft assembly on the passenger side (Refer to Differential and Driveline/Half Shaft - Removal)(Refer To List 1).

Loosen clamp (5) and remove the muffler/resonator pipe (2) from cross-under pipe (4).

Remove the cross-under pipe (4) from vehicle and discard gaskets.

3.6L Engine

3.6L ENGINE

GUID-19-019-000-2982496.gif

NOTE

Before installing power steering pressure hose on power steering pump, replace O-ring on end of power steering pressure hose. Lubricate O-ring using clean power steering fluid.

1. Install power steering pump (1) onto its mounting bracket.

2. Install three power steering pump mounting bolts through pulley (not shown in figure). Tighten pump mounting bolts to 30 N·m (22 ft. lbs.).

Install power steering pump pressure fitting (2) and tighten to 32 N·m (24 ft. lbs.).

GUID-19-019-000-2982514.gif

Slide fluid supply hose onto pump (3) fitting and install clamp (1) securing it in place.

GUID-19-019-000-2982480.gif

Install heat shield (1) and secure with 3 mounting bolts (2). Tighten bolts to 25 N·m (18 ft. lbs.)

Install exhaust pipe (Refer to Exhaust System/PIPE, Exhaust Crossunder/Installation)

Lower vehicle.

Install accessory drive belt (Refer to Cooling/Accessory Drive/BELT, Serpentine - Installation)

Connect negative (-) battery cable on negative battery post.

3.6L

3.6L

GUID-07-001-004-2894937.gif

1. Check condition of all pulleys.

CAUTION

When installing the serpentine accessory drive belt, the belt MUST be routed correctly. If not, the engine may overheat due to the water pump rotating in the wrong direction.

2. Install new belt (7). Route the belt around all pulleys except the idler pulley (2). Rotate the tensioner arm (8) until it contacts its stop position. Route the belt (7) around the idler (2) and slowly let the tensioner (8) rotate into the belt. Make sure the belt (7) is seated onto all pulleys.

GUID-07-001-004-2745668.gif

With the drive belt installed, inspect the belt wear indicator. The gap between the tang and the housing stop ( measurement A ) must not exceed 24 mm (.94 inches).

Install the inner splash shield.

Install the wheel.

3.6L

3.6L

GUID-11-000-030-2900456.gif

Click to Enlarge

1. Position new gaskets onto the catalytic converter flanges.

2. Position the cross-under pipe (1) into its position between the catalytic converters.

Install the front flange mounting nuts (4). Tighten nuts to 28 Nm (250 in.-lbs.).

Install the rear flange bolts (5). Tighten bolts to 30 N.m (22 ft. lbs.).

Install the cross-under support (2) bolts. Tighten nuts to 28 Nm (250 in.-lbs.).

GUID-11-000-003-2900777.gif

Install the muffler/resonator pipe (2) onto the cross-under pipe (4). Do not tighten the pipe clamp.

Install the half shaft (Refer to Differential and Driveline/Half Shaft - Installation)(Refer To List 1).

GUID-11-000-001-2904947.gif

Install the front pipe grommet (4).

Check for clearance of the exhaust to body.

Tighten the muffler/resonator pipe clamp (3) to 55 N·m (40 ft. lbs.).

• 7 years later...

Replacing the High-Side Power Steering Hose
Remove the hose(s) from the gear (rack or worm gear/gearbox) and drain into the drain pan.
Replace the hose and refill the reservoir. ...
Remove the hose(s) from the pump.
Remove any supports or brackets on the hose(s)
Reinstall the hose(s) to the gear.

Professional power steering hose replacement will cost around $500 on average. In general, prices range between $300 on the low end and is about $800 on the higher end.