Remote Start Disabled - Start Vehicle to Reset

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2011 Journey crew

The remote start never gave me trouble in the past but recently it has not been nice. From past 10 days, when I start the car with the remote start in the morning, it doesn't start, the horn honk one time, and the EVIC gives me the message "remote start disabled - start vehicle to reset". Then, when I sit in the car and start it, it works for fine for a couple of hours.

My job is about 20 minutes away. When I am done work (After 10ish hours) the remote start won't work, car will sound the horn once and the same message will display. When I get back home turn off the car and then try starting it with remote start, it works fine.

There was the engine light on but it went away after replacing the spark plugs but the car continues to have the same problem.

*I double checked the trunk, doors, and hood to rule out whether them not being completely shit was the problem but that did not change anything.

* I did started using the second FOB from last month because I didn't use it for quite some time (I do not know if this has something to do with the problem).

The car locks and unlocks with the FOB just fine.

I am not sure what to do... any help, suggestions, or thoughts will be much appreciated.

Thanks

post-10539-0-64770800-1422722503_thumb.j

Edited by rampar

Have the car checked for stored trouble codes, write them down, then clear them. See if that cures the issue, or try the " disconnect the negative cable for 15 mins" and see I'd that cures the problem. The lite may be gone, but a stored code could be screwing things up. Good luck!

Welcome to the forum. You did not mention if the second FOB fixed your remote starting issue. If it didn't, try this. Walk around the car 5 or 6 times continually locking and locking the doors. Then, do the same with the remote start. My Dealer did this once for me. He told me that the Jeep had to relearn the FOBs. I never had another problem, but he did order a new receiver since I was still under warranty.

Have the car checked for stored trouble codes, write them down, then clear them. See if that cures the issue, or try the " disconnect the negative cable for 15 mins" and see I'd that cures the problem. The lite may be gone, but a stored code could be screwing things up. Good luck!

Thanks for your reply OhareFred:

My mechanic cleared the code and he changed all the spark plugs.

I think the code was P0300 (as far as I remember)

Journey 2011

3.6L Crew

• Official Dodge Support

Hi Dhh3

I started experiencing that problem a few weeks after I started using the second FOB.

I will try your tip and post the results back on the forum.

Thanks a lot :)

Thanks for your reply OhareFred:

My mechanic cleared the code and he changed all the spark plugs.

I think the code was P0300 (as far as I remember)

Journey 2011

3.6L Crew

rampar,

Was it a case where the vehicle wouldn't start based on the check engine light?

If so, this happens to avoid any engine damage.

Hi Everyone:

It gave me trouble even after getting the Mopar spark plugs and getting the codes cleared but then I tried dhh3's suggestion of making the Journey relearn the new FOB I had started using a few weeks ago. Since that, the car has been starting fine and the problem is resolved. :)

PS: The new FOB was not new (fresh from the dealer) it was new in the sense that I hadn't used it in the past year or so :)

Thanks dhh3, OhareFred, and DodgeCACares for replying :):worship:

Welcome to the forum. You did not mention if the second FOB fixed your remote starting issue. If it didn't, try this. Walk around the car 5 or 6 times continually locking and locking the doors. Then, do the same with the remote start. My Dealer did this once for me. He told me that the Jeep had to relearn the FOBs. I never had another problem, but he did order a new receiver since I was still under warranty.

rampar,

rampar,

• Official Dodge Support

Hi Everyone:

It gave me trouble even after getting the Mopar spark plugs and getting the codes cleared but then I tried dhh3's suggestion of making the Journey relearn the new FOB I had started using a few weeks ago. Since that, the car has been starting fine and the problem is resolved. :)

PS: The new FOB was not new (fresh from the dealer) it was new in the sense that I hadn't used it in the past year or so :)

Thanks dhh3, OhareFred, and DodgeCACares for replying :):worship:

rampar,

Happy to hear you got everything sorted out! ;)

• 1 year later...

I  just  had that same exact same with my jeep patroit 2010,  My remote starter,  would shut off after   10 seconds then it shuts down    My egine came on to,  has long has your egie comes on,  its going to cancel the remote starter.    I did get that same message on my jeep patroit,  remote start disable system  fault.   and my dealer told me it was the thermostat, that was makkeing my jeep patroit do that.