2010 SXT Bucking

Steve Bimbo

Never assume anything. How long did they have your car? Did the tell you exactly what they did to inform you that you needed a new transmission? Any other Transmission shops in your area? I'd get a second opinion. The reason I do not trust AAMCO is that they will usually tell a customer that they need a new transmission, when i fact, they do not. I have seen this over and over again. Being in the Military, I have traveled the world. And it was the same in every State where I was stationed.

I agree. I have heard several similar reports from friends and the almighty internet... With a repair that expensive I would get a second opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

So I bring the car to an independent transmission shop and he comes back to me tells me that it's not the transmission it's a motor issue. That's after bring it to the dealer and the dealer telling me that it's a transmission issue after selling me a tuneup that I did not need. Running to Amco and they tell me it's a transmission issue but but that's not the case. So now I still have this car that box under 55 miles an hour and I'm getting conflicting diagnoses. WTF???????

• Official Dodge Support

So I bring the car to an independent transmission shop and he comes back to me tells me that it's not the transmission it's a motor issue. That's after bring it to the dealer and the dealer telling me that it's a transmission issue after selling me a tuneup that I did not need. Running to Amco and they tell me it's a transmission issue but but that's not the case. So now I still have this car that box under 55 miles an hour and I'm getting conflicting diagnoses. WTF???????

Steve

I am sorry you are getting conflicting diagnoses on your vehicle. What are your specific symptoms and the current mileage on your vehicle?

I start having bucking from 20 miles an hour up to 55 miles an hour while driving at normal rpm's. The Rpms do not fluctuate when the bucking occurs. I brought the car to zappone dodge in Clifton Park New York and they rip me off telltelling me that I had misfires and they needed to do it tonight. Just a week prior to the may bring it to the dealer I had just recently done a tuneup myself putting in aftermarket plugs. This is where they said that I had the wrong plugs in the car. However after cross referencing I find that the plugs I put in the car were just fine so they just basically ripped me off. They then told me that it was an internal transmission problem. I told them to go scratch. I brought the car to an Amoco dealer and they told me for $2000 I needed a new or rebuilt transmission. I then brought the car to an independent rebuilding shop from the transmission rebuilders association and he just told me it was a motor problem not the transmission. He didn't specify on what the problem could be. So now I have a car that has no engine codes at all. The car continues to block between 20-55 mph. There's no difference in the RPMs while it occurs. Those are my symptoms Itwas suggested that it could be that a throttle positioning sensor. I'm not sure I don't even know how to test it. I'm about to give up and trade the car in but if I could fix it that would make me very happy

All of this indicates to me that the transmission is programmed to lock up too early. When it starts bucking, put it in 5. The transmission will unlock, and downshift to 5. Drive it in 5, all the up to 55 and see if the bucking is gone. If the bucking is gone, you solved your problem. The speed at which the transmission lock is speed dependant, and it appears to me that your speed is set too low. Starscan can set the speed, and the dealer that already screwed you should do this for you, for free. If this does not work for you, I'm stumped and you may throw an egg on my face.

Throttle position sensors can usually be checked with a meter... You'd have to get the exact values from a service manual, but there are members on the board that could get you that info. Does it feel like when you are running out of gas? Possibly something in the fuel delivery system like a clogged injector or pump on the way out??? Just throwing out guesses at this point. Curious to hear if it happens when shifting manually...

I had a 1984 Buick Skylark T-Type that did the same thing. It would start bucking when the AC condensor engaged. No fix for this. Either the condensor was too big, or the engine was too small. As long as I didn't use AC or DEF, no bucking. Infuriating.

I had a 1984 Buick Skylark T-Type that did the same thing. It would start bucking when the AC condensor engaged. No fix for this. Either the condensor was too big, or the engine was too small. As long as I didn't use AC or DEF, no bucking. Infuriating.

I don't like the sound of that.

Well driving in manual did not help this situation. Still having bucking. I have thought of the fuel system before. I have ran fuel injector cleaner and liquid tune up. I have tried premium fuel. I am getting so frustrated.

Symptoms of a Defective TPS

One unique thing about TPS failure is that all the symptoms may show up at the same time. It doesn't mean that they show individually, but it often happens that you'll notice more than just one sign.

The 'Check Engine' Light is On
This is the first thing that you'll notice. The light is meant to tell you, the driver, that something is wrong with either a component of the car, or its sensor. It's always advisable to get your car checked out by a mechanic as early as possible if this light is on.

Bucking and Jerking/Hesitation while Accelerating
Another common symptom related to a bad TPS is the jerking of the car, especially when accelerating. Without proper inputs from the TPS, the on-board computer is unable to guide the engine to work at optimum levels.

Idle Surging
This problem usually comes in conjunction with the above one. Similar to getting jerks while accelerating, with a faulty TPS, the computer cannot tell if the throttle is fully shut when the car is idling.

Sudden Stalling of the Engine
This can happen anytime, without any kind of warning, while driving or idling. The TPS can give a bad input, prompting the engine to stall.

Sudden Surge in Speed While Driving on the Highway
This is a particularly hazardous situation. What usually happens is that at high speeds, the butterfly valve inside the throttle may close up, and if the driver pushes on the pedal harder, the valve 'pops' open suddenly, giving the car an unintentional burst of speed. All of this happens if the sensor is unable to detect the closed position of the throttle.

Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/symptoms-of-a-bad-throttle-position-sensor.html

I found this on the net. The second 2 symptoms are what I am experiencing. I am going to check the sensor. Now to find it

• 2 weeks later...

Well the manual actually says to replace the transaxle at the 100K service, anyway i have the car at the 5th place getting yet another opinion. 4 of them said it was the transmission. 2 said replace it 1 said rebuild and 1 said it was an engine issue. I was going to trade the car in but I am so upside down on the loan that it worth fixing this car. rather than paying 25k for a 15k car. I would have to put the difference on top of another car note. I just bite the bullet and put the 5k in to fix it. Im stuck with it