The 70's called, they want my hubcaps back....

Dee

We use to have "Hubcap Heaven" years ago, you could sell them hubs that rolled off of cars depending if they were in still good condition. I figured when they went out of business is when they no longer made hubcaps. I wonder if I'll save a bit in gas changing wheels? These weigh more and probably use more gas? No? I'm in no hurry to change them.

Beyond the aesthetics, the only practical reason to get new wheels is if you need snow tires - mounting a set of snows on one set of wheels and the all-season tires on another will save money in the long run and will save the tire beads from the wear and tear of twice yearly changeovers.

The link here http://www.carbibles.com/gasmileage2.html says they do. If there is any fuel savings it would probably be very little.

I realized the err of my ways after posting. Yes, maybe a little, but certainly not enough to offset the cost of the wheels. Kinda like paying $300+ for a K&N air intake. Not worth the price.

The article said if you are driving around "sportier" is like in speeding? Not problem in this DJ. When I had the Envoy I watched the RPMs for speed since the cluster panel was shot, the DJ seems to go all on it's own, I'll look down and being doing 70 without realizing it. I wouldn't get new wheels unless they are to good to pass up, and/or getting new tires.

bramfrank, we don't get enough snow for 2 sets of tires, and I would hate to be carrying around a set every season change. shhhhh she's 19 days old and has a 145 miles on her... 141 are my miles :lol: I hate to say it, this year if my brother isn't well off and needs a car and hadn't decided on anything, he can have this one, I'll just move up a bit, we'll see, knowing him he'll want another Subaru.

Going with a lighter wheel saves fuel and stress on the drivetrain, however not by any significant amounts. Dodge designed it to run with steel wheels, so there should be no wear issues, and the fuel savings will hardly make scratch in your fuel budget.

IIRC the advantage to changing to lighter wheels originates with racing. The lower unsprung weight results in quicker acceleration, shorter braking distances, and aids in more competent handling. Hence, racing teams spends thousands of dollars on lightweight forged racing wheels. You and I, driving to work and to the grocery store? No advantage other than looking cooler, and possibly improving handling if you go up in wheel diameter and width (resulting in a bigger contact patch and less sidewall flexing). But again, if you aren't a spirited driver and are already satisfied with how the car looks and handles... there's no point.

• 3 months later...

I personally prefer steel over aluminum here in the salt belt, because the salt brine gets in between the aluminum & the steel hub, and creates a reaction between the two metals. A mechanic told me that he often has to heat the studs to get the lugs off. I sometimes have to kick the living daylights out of the tire before I can knock it loose.

I've fallen victim to wheel thieves once, I had my '68 Javelin 290/280hp SST

parked in my driveway when they stole all 4 2" chrome reversed rims.

Cop woke me up 2am and asked if I knew my car was on cinder blocks,

they caught the guy a block from my house.

I had a 68 Cougar XR7 with the GT Package: 390 with 335 HP. The whole car was stolen 2x while I was going to School in Boston. The first time, I got it back from the police impound, and I had to fight with the insurance co. to pay for all of the restoration work I had done. Second time, I was not so lucky. Police chased him, and he hit a tree going approximately 120 mph! The transmission ended up between the seats. And, the front of the car broke loose when they pulled it onto a flatbed truck. I would love to find another one.