UConnect Radio Differences

Anyone else here disappointed that Dodge put the UConnect 8.4/RE2 into the Journey instead of the 8.4AN/RA4 (found in Durango/Grand Cherokee/Chrysler 200 and some other models)?

I can only see this as a "bottom line" move not a "restriction" on the chassis. The Durango R/T, it has the radio - and cant understand the thoughts of not aligning what features they can, across trim lines. So the Journey R/T would have the same Radio, heated seats, etc. as any other Model R/T. This doesn't sound too much to ask (really left wanting the missing UConnect Access features).

But gather this "discussion" would of had to occur at a high-level; as it affects design across models. Can we make that happen for next time! :-)

Edited by gwin99

Sorry about that! I've been mulling this in my head for a bit and forgot that "conversation" only had one participant (me)! :hammer_self:

the features I'm :missing" are all the ones you have to dl an app for - or what is found under "UConnect Access"... The app ("via Mobile") gives you the ability to receive messages for theft/alarm triggered - helpful for those whose vehicles get broken into a lot (mine for some reason), remote start (from the app - helpful if you have a 3mins walk to your car from work).

With this, comes the Assist button(s) on the visor for roadside assistance and 911/Emergency response.. This portion of the package competes well with OnStar from those "other guys"; and it just would have been nice to see all those features in the DJ...

*Question - can any of you guys compose and send a txt msg via voice commands? I have a WP8 (I heard you all laughing! :-)) that I cannot or have something not set correctly - as when I get them the system speaks them and sends my spoken replies... but the messing button is greyed-out...

If you cant either - than this would be the other feature.. A full hit list of this can be found here: http://www.driveuconnect.com/system/2014/dodge/durango/8-4an-ra4/

Apologies if links are frowned up here...

I think that I have the 8.4/RE2, but it does not state that on my Window Sticker. All my Window Sticker states: 8.4-Inch Touch Screen Display, Uconnect 8.4CD/DVD/MP3, Uconnect Voice Command with Bluetooth. It does not have NAV. I purchased a mount that clips to the vent; I use my iPhone for Nav. I'll be able to Jump to the iPhone6 in Feb, so the bigger screen will be nice.

As part of my purchase deal, I wanted the back up camera installed. They had to check if my radio was compatible. It was. I guess that it only works with certain radios.

Apple is developing a car system: the screen will mimic the iPhone"s screen. I'm not sure who is going to use it.

Sorry about that! I've been mulling this in my head for a bit and forgot that "conversation" only had one participant (me)! :hammer_self:

the features I'm :missing" are all the ones you have to dl an app for - or what is found under "UConnect Access"... The app ("via Mobile") gives you the ability to receive messages for theft/alarm triggered - helpful for those whose vehicles get broken into a lot (mine for some reason), remote start (from the app - helpful if you have a 3mins walk to your car from work).

With this, comes the Assist button(s) on the visor for roadside assistance and 911/Emergency response.. This portion of the package competes well with OnStar from those "other guys"; and it just would have been nice to see all those features in the DJ...

*Question - can any of you guys compose and send a txt msg via voice commands? I have a WP8 (I heard you all laughing! :-)) that I cannot or have something not set correctly - as when I get them the system speaks them and sends my spoken replies... but the messing button is greyed-out...

If you cant either - than this would be the other feature.. A full hit list of this can be found here: http://www.driveuconnect.com/system/2014/dodge/durango/8-4an-ra4/

Apologies if links are frowned up here...

One of the two models does texting... Mine doesn't and there is no button at all, so I am assuming you have the one that does. It may be that your phone is not compatible. You can check the uConnect website to see a list of compatible phones.

I think that I have the 8.4/RE2, but it does not state that on my Window Sticker. All my Window Sticker states: 8.4-Inch Touch Screen Display, Uconnect 8.4CD/DVD/MP3, Uconnect Voice Command with Bluetooth. It does not have NAV. I purchased a mount that clips to the vent; I use my iPhone for Nav. I'll be able to Jump to the iPhone6 in Feb, so the bigger screen will be nice.

As part of my purchase deal, I wanted the back up camera installed. They had to check if my radio was compatible. It was. I guess that it only works with certain radios.

Apple is developing a car system: the screen will mimic the iPhone"s screen. I'm not sure who is going to use it.

Pretty confident that it is Chrysler actually... With all of the issues they already have I don't know why they would think an Apple product would fix it. Not to mention that a large percentage of people don't have iPhones. Hopefully it is still very compatible with Android because I will never own an iPhone based on my wife's and friends experiences, and I am a Dodge fanboy.

Edited by Lobitz68

Yeah; I've climbed up and down their site; they don't list 2015 Journey yet, and when I choose 2014 Journey for either radio, the Phone manufactures list breaks...

I hate calling customer service for ANYTHING... but might bite the bullet to fix this (if it can be)...

Ditto on the crApple system/radio; I would rather see the Blackberry unit go in... (I think I read Ford is dropping Microsoft's Sync system for it)...

There must be a reason that millions of people all around the world will wait hours in front of an Apple Store to get the latest and greatest new device.

I was an avid Google (Android) user until Google started adding all of those preinstalled aps that I would never use, constantly begging me to update them: no way to delete them! There are very few preinstalled aps on an iPhone; some I use, some I don't but I have never been bothered with telling me there is an update.

I owned the first Android Phone: T-Mobile G1. Then T-Mobile G2, Then Samsung Galaxies all the way up to III. That is when I had enough with the preinstalled aps, and switched to Apple. Plus, Google lets each phone manufacturer add what they want to the OS. Apple is closed. All of the ap makers come out with the iOS version first. What does that tell you.

Ford is going to use the BB system only on on top of the line vehicles; the bottom rung versions get stuck with Microsoft! I wish that BB had kept up with Apple way back when!

Anyone else here disappointed that Dodge put the UConnect 8.4/RE2 into the Journey instead of the 8.4AN/RA4 (found in Durango/Grand Cherokee/Chrysler 200 and some other models)?

The RA4 (new 2nd generation 8.4" radio) requires wiring/BUS system upgrades and is being added in all-new vehicles as well as vehicles with extensive mid-cycle refreshes. The journey will probably not see the new RA3/RA4 radios until the next gen "JD" model launches in the summer of 2016.

They will most likely drop the journey from the Dodge lineup after 2015

No way. The 2016 models will launch in July 2015. A year later the all-new 2017 will launch, and an SRT version will come out the following model year (early release, ~January/February 2017).