Aftermarket remote start?

Hello all,

I'm doing some research on adding remote start to a Journey that does not already have it as a holiday gift. I'm getting some conflicting information from various dealers, so I thought I'd reach out to you all.

The vehicle in question is a 2014 Journey SXT Blacktop, 2.4L FWD, no factory-installed remote start system like the one in my 2014 R/T Rallye.

Some dealers say aftermarket systems will void the warranty. I'm calling BS on that one. The one I contacted today said the aftermarket system itself would not be covered by the vehicle warranty, which I knew already, it would be covered by whatever warranty the manufacturer of the remote start offers (for example, Viper, my preferred supplier). He also said that he has seen aftermarket remote start systems cause problems with the computers of newer cars. I'm not prepared to call BS on that since the newest car I've modified is a 2007 Charger, which had ancient technology from the Mercedes parts bin of yesteryear.

Can you guys confirm or deny these claims? I'm of the opinion that any good remote start system, a la Viper, will neither void any of the factory warranties on the vehicle nor cause problems. Am I wrong on either count? If I'm correct, are there any good aftermarket systems to look into that are known to work well? Hoping to find something with decent range and a feedback system to state that the car has indeed started. One thing I hate about my Mopar system is it gives no feedback and half the time I walk outside of the lab after work to find a silent and chilly Journey...

Last question: How much trouble will I run into finding someone to install it? Dealers tend to be hit or miss on their willingness to install anything not purchased through them, same story on local mechanics. Best Buy will certainly install anything bought through them, but their installations are sketchy. I had my Charger done there after they swore there would be no wire splicing. A month later a random 6" length of wire fell out from behind the drivers knee bolster with no indication of where it came from. Nothing stopped working... very strange.

I had an aftermarket starter installed by the dealer as part of the purchase. It is a Compustar and has a range of 3000' (I think) and provides feedback. The fob is maybe 1" square and adds very little bulk to the key fob. It works great and I would definitely recommend it. I can't speak to all dealers, but mine was purchased through the dealer and installed at the dealer (by someone external to the dealership). I was told that since it was purchased through the dealer as part of the purchase that it would be covered by the warranty.

• 4 months later...