Dodge Rampage Concept

Gary

This isn't really related to Dodge Journeys, but since this is the Lounge Area, I thought I'd throw this out there...

I'd love for Dodge/Ram/whoever to build the Dodge Rampage Concept. Google "dodge rampage concept" to see images, or here's a great video:

The reasons why I love it:

• When buying a truck, size does matter. And for me, I don't want a big one. I want one that I can fit in my garage without needing to fold in the side mirrors (there is a trend in the past few years to have truck mirrors stick out far). This thing seems very similar to the Dodge Caravan (folding seats, sliding doors, front-wheel drive, short hood, etc.), and a Caravan-length truck would be perfect for me.
  • The seats that fold into the floor are awesome. I can fold them into the floor to carry large items locked safely behind the driver. And when the seats are up, it provides a place for generous storage in the floor.
  • The flexibility to extend the bed with the midgate (a la Avalanche) by opening up the space between the bed and passenger cab is brilliant. It allows for a full-size passenger space and a full-length bed, but without the nuisance of trying to maneuver a super long vehicle in a tight parking lot. Since the Grand Caravan can accommodate 4x8 sheets of plywood with the rear hatch closed, I imagine that this truck can be engineered to do the same thing with the tailgate up. Actually, the video mentions a second internal lower cargo bed that can accommodate several sheets of plywood.
  • The tailgate/ramp thing is pretty cool, although I don't know how it would work in the real world. i.e. "Those people" who don't want to get any scratches on their pretty new truck will scratch the top tip of the tailgate as it contacts rocks and grit on the ground. And it would be awkward putting items in the bed while standing behind the truck if there is a 3 or so foot wide tailgate between them and the bed.
  • Love the sliding doors for the back seat. "Suicide Style" backward swinging doors that some trucks have are great to provide a large B-pillarless opening to put large items in the back, but in a tight parking lot it's awkward as you are caught trying to get between two open doors. Forward swinging doors require a B-pillar which reduces the size of the side opening, thus preventing you from placing large items in the back.
  • I'd be quite happy with a Pentastar V6 in the thing. I don't care if it's (or base models are) front-wheel drive. I wouldn't be using it for heavy-duty towing.
  • I love the super-deep bed in the back. If course, if I filled it with gravel or sand to the brim, it would probably break the suspension, but it would be nice to be able to put in something tall like a standing garbage can and still be able to have a tonneau cover on top.
  • If based on the unibody of the Caravan (or future Town and Country platform), the reduced weight would be great for improved fuel economy.

I don't know if my message will change the world, but hopefully someone from Dodge/FCA is reading this. The concept vehicle was probably a response to the Avalanche and/or Ridgeline. I'm surprised that the vehicle didn't get the green light for production, or at least some groundbreaking features didn't get integrated into the Ram. Perhaps it was determined that a "manly" truck shouldn't be "wussified" with features that make a minivan great. Instead, it's all about making increasing the size of a truck to make it "better". Ugh.

I like it. Is this the 2006 concept or has it surfaced recently?

Just the concept. Hard to believe that it's been 8 years since it was introduced. Aside from the weird dashboard, it's aged quite well, in my opinion. Oh, and the C-pillar is definitely funky, but the brilliance of the rest of the vehicle allows me to see past that part.

Edited by Gary

The Avalanche has been canceled this year, and the Ridgeline will soon see its demise. The dumbest part of the Ridgeline was that the spare was in a compartment below the bed. Consider this: bed full of mulch, and you get a flat tire.

I like this idea. Clean up some of the awkward styling. Probably would be labeled as a Ram.

There is room in the Ram family for a small pickup, since the Ram is so big. Similar to, but smaller than the new GM small trucks: similar to the Ranger. Perfect size. Mopar could build both.

Edited by dhh3