Resonator delete 3.6 2013

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was wondering the same thing as dhh3. Looking under my '11, I just see the two mufflers at the end. Are they mufflers or resonatoers? People are talking about changing the mufflers and cutting off the resonators. Am I just not seeing one or the other?

the things on the tail pipes are the resonators. There is one muffler in front of the tail pipes that splits it into two pipes.

Are you defeating the purpose if you just change out the muffler and keep the resonators on? Or what do you do about the drone sound in the vehicle with the resonator removed?

You will still get a more aggressive tone by replacing the muffler and leaving the resonator. It is all personal preference. It WILL be louder without the resonators though... I have not done my exhaust, so I cannot speak to cabin drone, but my assumption based on previous vehicles is that the resonators would help keep it in check.

Are you defeating the purpose if you just change out the muffler and keep the resonators on? Or what do you do about the drone sound in the vehicle with the resonator removed?

I'm looking to remove the resonators and add magnaflow mufflers. I want a little better sound but not crazy loud, like I feel cutting the resonators off altogether would do. I don't think its defeating the purpose though but I'm not sure what it would sound like with 3 mufflers.

Edited by JMcCulloch

I'm looking to remove the resonators and add magnaflow mufflers. I want a little better sound but not crazy loud, like I feel cutting the resonators off altogether would do. I don't think its defeating the purpose though but I'm not sure what it would sound like with 3 mufflers.

Since you don't want it crazy loud I guess I would start with the muffler and see how it sounds. Cutting out the resonators should be pretty quick,cheap and easy if you feel you need more sound...

I hate how big and boxy the resonators look. I was thinking the magnaflow mufflers will still keep the noise down, have the look I want, and I wouldn't have to cut out the muffler in the middle of the car. Is that muffler overkill?

My understanding of the purpose of the resonator is that it helps to reduce a specific frequency (or range of frequencies) that is most prominent from a given engine. Removing the resonators may or may not make more noise, but it will definitely change the tone of the exhaust. I cannot tell you if the tone will be higher in pitch or lower, but it will change. Based on this understanding, I would assume that the stock resonators are tuned (length, width, chamber size, etc) to deal with whatever tones the stock muffler doesn't adequately muffle.

So, the muffler performs it's job and is not "overkill"... The resonators are likely the "overkill" part of the equation, but also perform a very valid function. I think that your best bet, if you're not sure, is to listen to some clips on the forum and on YouTube and decide which sound you prefer. I would still start with one or the other, not both... But that is just my opinion.

The resonators dampen or eliminate altogether the "drone", i.e. the sound that will "resonate" through the entire vehicle at a certain engine RPM. My Dakota had 2 resonators and a trashcan size muffler, when I removed all that and installed a flowcrapster cat back, man-o-man, the drone was deafening. I mean I could not hear the person in the passenger seat speaking unless they yelled. Grant you, this was V8. I switched the flowcrapster out for a magnaflow and it was much better. There was still drone, but not half as bad as the flowcrapster( can you tell I dont liike flowmaster??lol). Generally, factory mufflers are very restrictive. My advice is to start with replacing the muffler with a magnaflow (if thats whay you are looking at) and drive around for awhile. If it's still not agressive enough, cut the resonators off the ends of the tailpipes and buy yourself a couple of 1-2' lengths of exhaust pipe and clamp them onto where you cut the resonators off (that way, the exhaust still exits out the rear instead of underneath). If you like that, then shop around for some nice tips and have everything welded. That way you can reinstall the resonators if you ever need to.

The resonators dampen or eliminate altogether the "drone", i.e. the sound that will "resonate" through the entire vehicle at a certain engine RPM. My Dakota had 2 resonators and a trashcan size muffler, when I removed all that and installed a flowcrapster cat back, man-o-man, the drone was deafening. I mean I could not hear the person in the passenger seat speaking unless they yelled. Grant you, this was V8. I switched the flowcrapster out for a magnaflow and it was much better. There was still drone, but not half as bad as the flowcrapster( can you tell I dont liike flowmaster??lol). Generally, factory mufflers are very restrictive. My advice is to start with replacing the muffler with a magnaflow (if thats whay you are looking at) and drive around for awhile. If it's still not agressive enough, cut the resonators off the ends of the tailpipes and buy yourself a couple of 1-2' lengths of exhaust pipe and clamp them onto where you cut the resonators off (that way, the exhaust still exits out the rear instead of underneath). If you like that, then shop around for some nice tips and have everything welded. That way you can reinstall the resonators if you ever need to.

Hey! I already said that... And it's Blowmaster. Ha!

• 4 weeks later...

I hate how big and boxy the resonators look. I was thinking the magnaflow mufflers will still keep the noise down, have the look I want, and I wouldn't have to cut out the muffler in the middle of the car. Is that muffler overkill?

Maybe it is the design of my back bumper, but the resonators are not noticeable. I like my music; the resonators stay!

The large black-painted boxes, to which the chrome exhaust tips are welded, are the resonators. Cutting them off and installing straight pipes will produce a lot of drone. A friend of mine with a 300M Special did that initially and hated it. He replaced the straight pipes with Thrush glasspack (straight-through) mufflers and it improved significantly. He got the louder aggressive tone without much drone. Personally, I hate his exhaust note because it's very raspy, but he loves it.

I would look for a flowmaster or magnaflow resonator or straight-through muffler and mount it in place of the rear resonators before I cut out the muffler.

On my own Special I plan on dumping the whole exhaust system and replacing it with an x-pipe and two Borla Pro XS mufflers at the back. Having them in the back and with an x-pipe should produce an aggressive note without much drone. We'll see. I haven't looked at my Journey's exhaust but I imagine the transverse engine design demands the unfortunate circumstance of one exhaust pipe and cat...

The large black-painted boxes, to which the chrome exhaust tips are welded, are the resonators. Cutting them off and installing straight pipes will produce a lot of drone. A friend of mine with a 300M Special did that initially and hated it. He replaced the straight pipes with Thrush glasspack (straight-through) mufflers and it improved significantly. He got the louder aggressive tone without much drone. Personally, I hate his exhaust note because it's very raspy, but he loves it.

I would look for a flowmaster or magnaflow resonator or straight-through muffler and mount it in place of the rear resonators before I cut out the muffler.

On my own Special I plan on dumping the whole exhaust system and replacing it with an x-pipe and two Borla Pro XS mufflers at the back. Having them in the back and with an x-pipe should produce an aggressive note without much drone. We'll see. I haven't looked at my Journey's exhaust but I imagine the transverse engine design demands the unfortunate circumstance of one exhaust pipe and cat...

Can you post a sound clip when you are done? I like the sound of the engine in my driver's seat, but there is not much sound at the rear.

Edited by dhh3