My retrofitted headlights arrived

What Totemus did was remove the high beam bulb(9005) from the factory location and installed a led bulb in there instead. The DRL are the high beams at half power or something like that. Because it's a led bulb now it won't give off the bright light like a 9005 bulb would. So the question was,

how can you flash with highbeams during the day?

(you know... when on a highway you meet an old man, driving with his hat on, on the left lane, at 10 mph... the highbeams are useful to say "get the f**k ou of my way you d**n a*****e in morse code :lol:)

Because of the led replaces the 9005 high beam bulb it won't get brighter so it can only be used as DRL all the time, not high beams. If you flash your stock high beams while driving your DRL will turn back to regular voltage and your brights will be on alerting oncoming drivers.

i mean,

it seems that you can use the high beams only when the headlights are on

So what is being said here is, because of using the led bulb the flash to pass will not work. The projector has 1 HID bulb. the low beam has have a cutoff shield that will go in front of the bulb so there will be no glare in oncoming drivers eyes. The high beam is the cutoff shield dropped exposing all the light everywhere, but the high beam only works if the low beam light is on. So on the Journey the lights will have to be on in order to have a high beam, and a flash to pass will work this way.

What Totemus did was remove the high beam bulb(9005) from the factory location and installed a led bulb in there instead. The DRL are the high beams at half power or something like that. Because it's a led bulb now it won't give off the bright light like a 9005 bulb would. So the question was,

Because of the led replaces the 9005 high beam bulb it won't get brighter so it can only be used as DRL all the time, not high beams. If you flash your stock high beams while driving your DRL will turn back to regular voltage and your brights will be on alerting oncoming drivers.

So what is being said here is, because of using the led bulb the flash to pass will not work. The projector has 1 HID bulb. the low beam has have a cutoff shield that will go in front of the bulb so there will be no glare in oncoming drivers eyes. The high beam is the cutoff shield dropped exposing all the light everywhere, but the high beam only works if the low beam light is on. So on the Journey the lights will have to be on in order to have a high beam, and a flash to pass will work this way.

Awesome dissection, thanks. It wasn't my intention to blurt out dirt, I just didn't see the pictures with the lights on etc. Thanks again.

Thanks, Powerz69 for getting into details. I'd never be able to explain that better in short.

I actually didn't try to flash having low beam off, will definitely test :)

Would also try to shoot a short video of all stages of the lights operations installed, in addition to the bench test video. No commitment, though :)

I actually didn't try to flash having low beam off, will definitely test :)

I'm kind of curious now also. My thinking still says there will be no or hardly any difference, because the LED only needs a little bit of power to run. It would be cool if it did get brighter though.

After the headlight was retrofitted, hi beam is provided by the same bi xenon projector. So the test result is:

If low beam on - flash works as it is the same projector that drops the curtain.

If low beam is off and the vehicle in P - flash works via LED driving light - the LED DRL just turns on and off

If low beam is off and the vehicle is in D - flash doesn't work as the LED DRL is already on and doesn't change the output

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As promised - putting a short video of lights. I made this video after I installed a light bar in the lower bumper part.

Can you post a picture of your light bar during the day turned off? I'm just curious how it looks mounted there.

What kind is it?

Edited by Powerz69

I looked specifically at concealed installation to not to expose the light bar as I'm not sure troopers will appreciate such an evident off-road lighting exposure :shades:

And from my point of view behindthegrill installation doesn't really hurt the output.

Edited by Totemus

Without taking my headlights apart (I'm too chicken s**t to do this in the oven), where would be a good place to mount a set of LEDS for DRLs, since mine does have the factory code to turn them on? Has anyone done this? There is a pre-2016 Durango, with LED strips mounted near the fog lights, He is always going too fast to stop him, and I have never seen him parked to have a close look. Thanks for any input.

Without taking my headlights apart (I'm too chicken s**t to do this in the oven), where would be a good place to mount a set of LEDS for DRLs, since mine does have the factory code to turn them on? Has anyone done this? There is a pre-2016 Durango, with LED strips mounted near the fog lights, He is always going too fast to stop him, and I have never seen him parked to have a close look. Thanks for any input.

There is a lip around the headlight housing. If you remove the headlight you should be able to mount a strip behind the lip. Also, since the lens is not clear on the lip it should diffuse the light and make it look like a continuous light rather than a bunch of single LEDs...

There is a lip around the headlight housing. If you remove the headlight you should be able to mount a strip behind the lip. Also, since the lens is not clear on the lip it should diffuse the light and make it look like a continuous light rather than a bunch of single LEDs...

Is this something you are working on, or doing? It sounds like a good idea.

Edited by Powerz69

I had a set in the shape of a hockey stick. I bought them for my Nitro, but never installed them. Now, I'm thing about doing this to my DJ, but there was no place to install to ones for the Nitro. So, now I'm looking for a little input to see what other members have done.

I'll look again for the lip around the headlights. How hard is it to take them out?

Bad info, I was thinking about my Avenger headlights... The DJ has no lip.

Is this something you are working on, or doing? It sounds like a good idea.

I am considering opening my retro up and changing the shroud out for something a little bigger (hence the PM I sent you), so I am considering an LED strip while I have the lights out...

I had a set in the shape of a hockey stick. I bought them for my Nitro, but never installed them. Now, I'm thing about doing this to my DJ, but there was no place to install to ones for the Nitro. So, now I'm looking for a little input to see what other members have done.

I'll look again for the lip around the headlights. How hard is it to take them out?

If you have the hockey stick ones, then they are not flexible, correct? Maybe around the fog housing, or in the corners where totemus mounted his?? There is a gap under the hood in the front, and a flexible LED strip could mount anywhere on the outside of the headlight housing and be seen (would have to be the side emitting LED strips).

The headlights aren't difficult to remove, but it is time consuming. You need to loosen the bumper and remove the grill to get them out. Even doing that, it is still very tight and will take some patience to get them out and back in. Put it this way, it will take you longer to get them out and back in than it will to install and wire the lights.

Put it this way, it will take you longer to get them out and back in than it will to install and wire the lights.

Very fair statement. In addition, the plastic plugs that hold the bumper together, tend to deteriorate every time you take them out and back in. I broke couple of them while removing the bumper (twice), so you may want to have some spare ones before you start the project.