My retrofitted headlights arrived

nice job man

but... probably i'm missing something...

how can you flash with highbeams during the day?

(you know... when on a highway you meet an old man, driving with his hat on, on the left lane, at 10 mph... the highbeams are useful to say "get the f**k ou of my way you d**n a*****e in morse code :lol:)

i mean,

it seems that you can use the high beams only when the headlights are on

Am I wrong?

On a highway you will want to have lights on :)

• 2 weeks later...

No, they are not from China. Those are professionally retrofitted OEM headlights. They mimic the OEM operation: I've had DRLs activated, so what you call a high beam is LED DRL now. They are no pt used for height beam as the projector provides both low and high beams.

You can have DRL activated at dealership. I did it for my 2014. Depending on your relationship with the dealership they can charge you $0 to $100. But if you plug LED for DRL, you will have to insert resistors as well, as DRL is a height beam at lower power ( 6V). LEDs will not work if you just throw them in, you'll need some additional mods. Besides, you will lose high beam, because LEDs (non-projector LEDS from ebay) are not designed for high beam.

The power output is amazing - it is 55w projector HID super power compared to stock halogen.

yea these are morimoto mini h1 6.0 i installed thse in my 2010 elantra in 5 hours along with halos and demon eyes, why did it take 5 months for a professional to do it when it took my one evening?

yea these are morimoto mini h1 6.0 i installed thse in my 2010 elantra in 5 hours along with halos and demon eyes, why did it take 5 months for a professional to do it when it took my one evening?

Because you only had to do one set? Seems like a pretty obvious answer... Not everyone is comfortable doing this kind of work and prefer to have someone else do it for them.

• 3 weeks later...

So you're telling me these are high beams at ALL time? I'm sorry for being a party pooper, but if that's the case then it's the stupidest thing ever, no matter how good looking they are.

People keep forgetting about the "utility" part of the headlights: you need to see the road WITHOUT blinding incoming traffic. Where I'm from you don't drive 100% of the time on highway, and even if you do it's not really nice to follow up someone with high beams on. Watch the road when someone signals to take your highbeams off, they might unload some LED bars on you and I promise you, a 50" LED and some projectors on a JEEP on a dark road will be scary.

Cool looking lights, unfortunate they're just high beams

So you're telling me these are high beams at ALL time? I'm sorry for being a party pooper, but if that's the case then it's the stupidest thing ever, no matter how good looking they are.

People keep forgetting about the "utility" part of the headlights: you need to see the road WITHOUT blinding incoming traffic. Where I'm from you don't drive 100% of the time on highway, and even if you do it's not really nice to follow up someone with high beams on. Watch the road when someone signals to take your highbeams off, they might unload some LED bars on you and I promise you, a 50" LED and some projectors on a JEEP on a dark road will be scary.

Lots of wasted words right there... These are retrofitted projectors (as suggested by the title and the large number of posts in the thread). They are the proper way to utilize HID headlights to ensure that they DON'T blind oncoming traffic. Your rant is a waste of space and all of the peoples' time who will read it and wonder what the hell you are talking about. If you want to rant about scattered light from people using HIDs improperly there are plenty of those types of posts. Totemus spent big $ to get it done the CORRECT way and it turned out great. Next time you go on a rant you should actually read the posts...

Your post sounds like it's aimed(pun) more towards a PNP HID KIT then a BI-XENON HID projector retrofit. They say pictures are worth a thousand words, well I hope the pictures in this thread never showed up for you because of your post you made. Do a search on what a BI-XENON projector is and come back and read your post as it makes no sense.

Cut off line. Took sooo long to get to making photos :camera:

When I test fitted my retro and put the OEM headlight back in I noticed my factory cutoff is lower by 2" at 5' on one side now. So when you installed your lights did you have lots of adjusting of the headlights? Or did you just install and adjust the lights vertically to line up your cutoff? Your cutoff looks great, very even.

Lots of wasted words right there... These are retrofitted projectors (as suggested by the title and the large number of posts in the thread). They are the proper way to utilize HID headlights to ensure that they DON'T blind oncoming traffic. Your rant is a waste of space and all of the peoples' time who will read it and wonder what the hell you are talking about. If you want to rant about scattered light from people using HIDs improperly there are plenty of those types of posts. Totemus spent big $ to get it done the CORRECT way and it turned out great. Next time you go on a rant you should actually read the posts...

You type faster then I do. LOL

When I test fitted my retro and put the OEM headlight back in I noticed my factory cutoff is lower by 2" at 5' on one side now. So when you installed your lights did you have lots of adjusting of the headlights? Or did you just install and adjust the lights vertically to line up your cutoff? Your cutoff looks great, very even.

I type all day... ha!

There is a lot of adjustment in the mounts for the lights... I can't speak for Totemus, but I adjusted mine with the mounts and the aiming screw on the back.

Totemus, cut-off looks great! Are these 4300k? They look whiter than the 5000k bulbs I installed in my retrofit... Also, you probably already said, but what projector are you using? One last question...still running trouble free?

Lobitz68,

I decided to go with 5000K. I don't know what bulbs he actually used for the project and didn't have an intention to learn that. Me mechanically and electrically stupid, me know very little about this stuff :baby:

What I was quoted for:

55 Watt Digital HIDs (5000K) / Slim Ballasts / 2.5" High Performance Bi-Xenon Projectors / Gatling Shrouds

I don't remember if ever asked him what projectors he used (for the same reasons above). Hope this information could be of help for you. It's not I'm trying to hide something, I honestly just don't know. For me they are just... projectors, you know... If you try to go deep into details about projectors and types with a dummy like me - no use, just wasting time.

So some people who have their hands installed properly, enjoy both the results and the process of their projects. Others, like me, enjoy the results only :banghead:

Still trouble free. No issues, no flickering, no buzz. They were professionally built and professionally installed. So If I ever decide to sell my Journey, I will have the headlights for sale :)

The only "issue" - my HID fog lights are now almost useless: projectors are so powerful that I see almost no difference with the fogs on :)

Edited by Totemus

I did have to adjust the vertical alignment, but it is a pretty easy job for anybody, even me. Took less than 5 minutes start to finish, just need a proper place - a wall and and an even floor. Tons of guides on youtube.

Lobitz68,

I decided to go with 5000K. I don't know what bulbs he actually used for the project and didn't have an intention to learn that. Me mechanically and electrically stupid, me know very little about this stuff :baby:

What I was quoted for:

55 Watt Digital HIDs (5000K) / Slim Ballasts / 2.5" High Performance Bi-Xenon Projectors / Gatling Shrouds

I don't remember if ever asked him what projectors he used (for the same reasons above). Hope this information could be of help for you. It's not I'm trying to hide something, I honestly just don't know. For me they are just... projectors, you know... If you try to go deep into details about projectors and types with a dummy like me - no use, just wasting time.

So some people who have their hands installed properly, enjoy both the results and the process of their projects. Others, like me, enjoy the results only :banghead:

Still trouble free. No issues, no flickering, no buzz. They were professionally built and professionally installed. So If I ever decide to sell my Journey, I will have the headlights for sale :)

The only "issue" - my HID fog lights are now almost useless: projectors are so powerful that I see almost no difference with the fogs on :)

No worries... If they are 2.5" then they are probably "mini's"... Do you know the bulb size D2S or H1?? That would pretty much tell me what projector you are using... I'm trying to get pics of mine up, but at the moment my phone is being a pain in the ass about emailing the pics, and I can't access photo hosting websites from work. Worst case I will get them up this evening.

Mine have foreground limiters on them which basically block light close to the vehicle... the idea being that bright light close to you strains your eyes and causes less visibility at a distance... I'm not sure I like the way the light is blocked close to the vehicle, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I do need to replace my Fogs now though... They are a nasty yellow compared to the cool white color of the headlights... Kind of looks like ass. But, the projectors turned out Nice!

Looks great either way my man, just trying to compare my setup to yours based on what hardware you are using.

I type all day... ha!

There is a lot of adjustment in the mounts for the lights... I can't speak for Totemus, but I adjusted mine with the mounts and the aiming screw on the back.

Great! So I'm thinking once I get my projectors mounted I'll take a white marking pen and mark around the 3 mounting bolts on the headlight. That way when I reinstall them after fitting my shrouds the headlights should be exact as to where the projectors were when mounted.

No worries... If they are 2.5" then they are probably "mini's"... Do you know the bulb size D2S or H1?? That would pretty much tell me what projector you are using... I'm trying to get pics of mine up, but at the moment my phone is being a pain in the ass about emailing the pics, and I can't access photo hosting websites from work. Worst case I will get them up this evening.

Mine have foreground limiters on them which basically block light close to the vehicle... the idea being that bright light close to you strains your eyes and causes less visibility at a distance... I'm not sure I like the way the light is blocked close to the vehicle, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I do need to replace my Fogs now though... They are a nasty yellow compared to the cool white color of the headlights... Kind of looks like ass. But, the projectors turned out Nice!

Looks great either way my man, just trying to compare my setup to yours based on what hardware you are using.

I would say MH1 6.0. Just because the shroud is a mini Gatling gun and only fits on the MH1. The 6.0 because a retrofitter did it and would have used current projectors. The shrouds on the MD2S are huge.

Great! So I'm thinking once I get my projectors mounted I'll take a white marking pen and mark around the 3 mounting bolts on the headlight. That way when I reinstall them after fitting my shrouds the headlights should be exact as to where the projectors were when mounted.

I would say MH1 6.0. Just because the shroud is a mini Gatling gun and only fits on the MH1. The 6.0 because a retrofitter did it and would have used current projectors. The shrouds on the MD2S are huge.

Realistically, you will probably need to do some adjusting anyway... I suppose if you tightened the 3 bolts in the right order you could get really damn close, but it will still be off by a little bit. What are you planning on using? Will they require cutting of the bowl and some kind of mounting that would prevent you from using the adjusters?

Didn't realize that the Gatlings only fit the MH1's...guess you learn something every day. Do the 6.0's have the foreground limiters? Wish I would have took those out.

Realistically, you will probably need to do some adjusting anyway... I suppose if you tightened the 3 bolts in the right order you could get really damn close, but it will still be off by a little bit. What are you planning on using? Will they require cutting of the bowl and some kind of mounting that would prevent you from using the adjusters?

Didn't realize that the Gatlings only fit the MH1's...guess you learn something every day. Do the 6.0's have the foreground limiters? Wish I would have took those out.

I'm doing a MD2S 3.0 with Apollo 2.0 shrouds. Yes I have to cut up the bowls to sink the projectors to fit the large shrouds. This is what I have so far.

post-8859-0-78396600-1413841548_thumb.jp

I'm doing a MD2S 3.0 with Apollo 2.0 shrouds. Yes I have to cut up the bowls to sink the projectors to fit the large shrouds. This is what I have so far.

I like that shroud...looks great in there! You are still mounting them to the bowl though, correct? Should get quite a bit of adjustment that way...just need to get them close. What lights are you using?

I like that shroud...looks great in there! You are still mounting them to the bowl though, correct? Should get quite a bit of adjustment that way...just need to get them close. What lights are you using?

Yes the projectors will be mounted to the bowls with bolts. I'm just going to be using cheap bulbs for now, 4300k and 5000k which ever I like best more likely the 4300k as the 5000k are old and used. I'm waiting untill TRS has another sale on their CBI bulbs and I'll buy those, just for the price of shipping to me. I'm using CBI bulbs in my FX-R projector I did to my truck and love them. At $200 I think they are worth it, but now TRS has their new bulbs out that are susposed to be just as good for $50.

*** sorry for the thread hijack, I'll make my own.

nice job man

but... probably i'm missing something...

how can you flash with highbeams during the day?

(you know... when on a highway you meet an old man, driving with his hat on, on the left lane, at 10 mph... the highbeams are useful to say "get the f**k ou of my way you d**n a*****e in morse code :lol:)

i mean,

it seems that you can use the high beams only when the headlights are on

Am I wrong?

What made you think they are hi beams all the time?

The previous quoted reply and your mention of the DRL being high beam only, but from all the nay sayers I figured I'm wrong.

Why do you necessarily assume it was a rant. I love the look of the setup, I disagreed with my perceived features of named setup.