Album Artwork copied to an SD card.

Does anyone know how to copy an iTunes Library to an SD card and include the Album Artwork? The music copied fine, but all I got was the generic music note to display on the screen.

I called Apple Support last night and they told me the only way to copy the music and art was to copy it to another Apple device, such as an iPod. Is this true? I realize that Apple only supports Apple products but seems odd that Dodge would add an SD slot if the Art would not display.

Thanks

Edited by dhh3

OK. I have spent the past two nights, and many hours on the phone with Apple Support. I did find out that once the album artwork is copied into iTunes, it becomes an Apple proprietary file. Therefore, it will only copy to another Apple device. I went into Best Buy to look at iPods, and spoke to the Apple guru there, and he agreed that the files would only be copied to another Apple device. I do not want to spend $250.00 on an iPod if there will be issues with the Artwork displaying on the screen, instead of the generic music note in a gray box.

Here's the kicker: while on hold last night with Apple, I came up with the idea of loading a song onto my iPhone 5s to see if the artwork would display on the screen. The Apple Tech was very nice, and wanted to see how the process would work. She called me back on my land line and stepped me through the process. I tried to copy 1 song. When I got out to the car, I had 27 songs, from 3 of the Albums that I downloaded from iTunes in the past week or so. I plugged the phone into the radio; all the songs showed up on a list but only 1 of the 3 album's artwork displayed. The other two showed up as the generic music note. Again, these were downloaded from iTunes. She talked to many people at Apple, but no one had an answer. She gave me her contact information and told me to let me know if I make any progress.

I downloaded 27 songs to my iPhone, directly from my iTunes library on my computer. These 27 songs happened to be ones that I purchased at the iTunes store. The list on my iPhone showed the Artwork from the 3 albums that the songs came from. Only 1 of the 3 album artworks showed up on the 8.4 Uconnect screen. They are no longer called Mygigs, and either come with Nav or not. Otherwise, no difference.

When I had my Nitro with the RBZ, I loaded all of my CDs directly to the hard drive; one by one. A long and tedious process! About 99% of the artwork copied with each CD.

The new 8.4 Uconnects have no hard drive. There is an SD slot, a CD slot, a powered USB port, and an AUX port. There is some memory for Favorite Artist or Song, but I don't know how much.

I went back to Best Buy today, as suggested by the Apple Tech, and spent about 1/2 hour talking to the Apple Guru. His only conclusion was that the Album Cover code on the 2 that did not show up on the screen was they were old files, that iTunes have not updated.

Out of curiosity, I put a CD from 1988 - original, not remastered - and the artwork displayed. So, I find his answer to old artwork files perplexing as the 2 albums whose art did not display are both a lot newer - both from the 90's, both directly downloaded from the iTunes Store. The artwork displays fine on my computer and phone; just not the 8.4 Uconnect.

I texted the Apple Support Tech, as she wanted to keep up with my progress, and she gave me the iTunes direct 800 number. I will call them tomorrow.

Since my iPhone will not hold all of my music, I will have to get an iPod. I am confident that 99% of the artwork should display because I have now loaded all of my CDs onto my iTunes library on my computer, and should copy to the iPod and thus display on the screen.

This sounds like a Gracenote issue. I'm typing on my phone and the forum app does not show which DJ you have. My 2011 has Gracenote. If you are not familiar with Gracenote, the long and short of it is that Gracenote matches up music with artwork without having the artwork files using the Gracenote database. No updates are available, that I know of. That means no artwork for any songs or albums newer than your DJ. Uconnect does not process any album artwork at all, best I can tell. If you have Gracenote, I don't think the presence of album artwork matters as Uconnect ignores it and relies solely on Gracenote for artwork information. In some cases the Gracenote also goofs up the artist information. Some of my Van Halen albums are listed under a Gracenote typo name and are therefore not searchable on the touchscreen. Gracenote is terrible,IMO. I keep it off always.

Not sure if Gracenote is the source of your problem, but if you find a solution, please keep us updated.

Peace.

Edited by redtomatoman

This sounds like a Gracenote issue. I'm typing on my phone and the forum app does not show which DJ you have. My 2011 has Gracenote. If you are not familiar with Gracenote, the long and short of it is that Gracenote matches up music with artwork without having the artwork files using the Gracenote database. No updates are available, that I know of. That means no artwork for any songs or albums newer than your DJ. Uconnect does not process any album artwork at all, best I can tell. If you have Gracenote, I don't think the presence of album artwork matters as Uconnect ignores it and relies solely on Gracenote for artwork information. In some cases the Gracenote also goofs up the artist information. Some of my Van Halen albums are listed under a Gracenote typo name and are therefore not searchable on the touchscreen. Gracenote is terrible,IMO. I keep it off always.

Not sure if Gracenote is the source of your problem, but if you find a solution, please keep us updated.

Peace.

Is this a setting somewhere? Never heard of Gracenote...

Not sure which models have gracenote. Dodge may have stopped using it after 2012, not sure. Also not sure if the 4.3 systems have gracenote. On my 2011 8.4N (RB5) there is a setting under audio that is called Music Info Cleanup. This system is powered by gracenote. I keep it off all the time. I recently read that it is this gracenote system that supports VR for the iPod. Not sure if that is true. I plan to test this next time I have my iPod in the DJ. I see now that folks on this thread have 2014 models. Hopefully, you do not have gracenote if you have the 8.4 system.

I have an appointment at the service center for some Uconnect updates today. Probably will have no effect on the Music Info Cleanup function, but I will test it once again with my iPod after the updates. I'll also check my Van Halen files. How can I even drive if I can't find my Van Halen files so I can crank up the volume?!?

Peace.

My RBZ Mygig was out of a 2014 Town and Country - dealer take out. As I mentioned, all of my art displayed copied directly off of each CD. I will see if my 2014 8.4 has this setting. I spent another hour with Apple Support and they could not figure this out. I emailed Dodge through my owners support page from their website. No word yet.

Is this a setting somewhere? Never heard of Gracenote...

Gracenote is the embedded file on every CD which is the album artwork. When I started copying my CDs to my computer, every once in a while I got a message asking me if I would share my information with Gracenote. Obviously, they did not have some of the artwork files for some of my older original CDs.

Got my updates today. No effect on the Gracenote file. Van Halen is still goofy. Will still be leaving it off. No artwork for any albums newer than 2011. Only spotty artwork for older albums as well. Gracenote is so disappointing. Anyway, if anyone finds out anything useful, please post. If anyone finds out how to update our Gracenote, that would be cool.

F Gracenote.

Peace.

Dodge finally called me because I took an owner's satisfaction survey, and gave low marks to connectability issues. I lady named Rose called, and she was clueless. Then, I finally got a response to my online question about artwork not displaying, and he was happy to hear that my problem had been resolved with the phone call from Rose! WTF! Rose was kind enough to give me Uconnect's direct line. The girl was somewhat helpful. Uconnect no longer works with Gracenote, and they are working on a fix. I am to call back in a month or so.

Edited by dhh3

When did Dodge discontinue Gracenote? Does your 2014 say music cleanup powered by Gracenote? I think dropping Gracenote is great for future owners. I may be stuck with insufficient or no album art, but that's how it goes. I'd like to get ongoing Gracenote update availability. Even if it costs. Ideally, uconnect would come up with a flash to allow it to recognize the iPod file album art. That way if you wanted your AC/DC albums to show a pic of your dog, you could do that. Let us know if you get any traction on this issue.

Peace.

The girl from Uconnect did not tell me when they stopped working with Gracenote; only that they did. I'll call Uconnect again and see if there is any progress, around the end of the month. Missing my RBZ more and more every day!

Edited by dhh3

I like my uconnect, for the most part. Album are would be cool, but certainty not necessary. The phone functionality is fine. I was kind of annoyed that the text functionality does not work. I'm over it now. Love the Nav, voice for phone calls, and stereo (iPod, satellite, Sirius travel link, etc). All in all, the tech in our DJs is easy to use and good for its intended purpose. I think the stereo sound is quite good too, although many have voiced disagreement with that statement. Please post any useful info.

Peace.

• 1 month later...

Just got a 2013 with the 8.4 (no NAV) and have been struggling with the file structure too... what works and when... using iTunes playlist and WOW, what a mess... thought I was loosing it, but it seems I am not alone.

ANXIOUS for any updated information.

THANKS, J