60k Miles, Time for New Brakes

So I took the DJ up to Death Valley last weekend, and the brakes are finally shot after those huge/steep mountain passes. They are warped crazy bad, the whole car shakes anytime you apply brakes above 50mph. I've dealt with the crappy stock brakes for over 2 years, so time for an upgrade. I don't want to upgrade calipers or anything, just get some nice new pads/rotors for all 4 corners. I've use wagner thermoquiets in the past with great success. So I will probably get those pads.

On rockauto.com, they have two different rear ceramic thermoqueit pads...which one is the correct one? They list different "Brake Code" numbers for each. The fronts are just one type, so easy choice there. And they have $30 rebate for front/rear sets right now.

WAGNER Part # QC1327 ThermoQuiet Installation Hardware Included (Rebate/Promotion Available!) Front; Optional Ceramic

WAGNER Part # QC1596 ThermoQuiet (Rebate/Promotion Available!)
Rear; OE Ceramic; w/Brake Code BRE

WAGNER Part # QC1326 {#PD1326} ThermoQuiet Installation Hardware Included (Rebate/Promotion Available!)
Rear; OE Ceramic; w/Brake Code BR3; w/Brake Code BRF

And finally, what's a good brake rotor brand to buy? I'm starting all fresh. Do you think I should bleed the brakes when I'm all done? Or change out the fluid?

Or what about this Callahan set. All 4 corners for only $147 shipped! Has really good reviews. Do you think that kit is too good to be true? Killer price for a whole setup. I've never used Callahan parts before.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E1SNKB8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1JWY71SHQ82FV&coliid=I3KY2HBU7K363H

You have a 2012, so there are 2 possible sizes of brakes on your Journey as that was the year they switched half way through the production cycle. The early 2012 Journeys came with 302mm front discs and 305mm rear discs. The later 2012's came with 330mm front discs and 328mm rear discs. before we can steer you in the right direction, we need to know which ones your Journey has.

So I took the DJ up to Death Valley last weekend, and the brakes are finally shot after those huge/steep mountain passes. They are warped crazy bad, the whole car shakes anytime you apply brakes above 50mph. I've dealt with the crappy stock brakes for over 2 years, so time for an upgrade. I don't want to upgrade calipers or anything, just get some nice new pads/rotors for all 4 corners. I've use wagner thermoquiets in the past with great success. So I will probably get those pads.

On rockauto.com, they have two different rear ceramic thermoqueit pads...which one is the correct one? They list different "Brake Code" numbers for each. The fronts are just one type, so easy choice there. And they have $30 rebate for front/rear sets right now.

WAGNER Part # QC1327 ThermoQuiet Installation Hardware Included (Rebate/Promotion Available!) Front; Optional Ceramic

WAGNER Part # QC1596 ThermoQuiet (Rebate/Promotion Available!)

Rear; OE Ceramic; w/Brake Code BRE

WAGNER Part # QC1326 {#PD1326} ThermoQuiet Installation Hardware Included (Rebate/Promotion Available!)

Rear; OE Ceramic; w/Brake Code BR3; w/Brake Code BRF

And finally, what's a good brake rotor brand to buy? I'm starting all fresh. Do you think I should bleed the brakes when I'm all done? Or change out the fluid?

if you go online to retailmenot.com and click advance auto coupon codes on the youcould save at least $20. off to as much as $50.off your brakes and rotors. i just did my rear brakes with wagner got 20 off just the pads and then got the 15 rebate from wagner and since you buy them from advance auto they will replace the pads 1 time for free when wore out. auto zone and orilleys wont honor wagners warr. you have to buy the parts online thur advance then they will ship them to you OR you can go down and pick them up from the store after you get off the computer. i just saved 50 off my daughters 2 cv axles that listed for about 128 so dropped her total down to about 87$ tax included pretty sweet deal try them out!!!! also my rear brakes seem to be alot less dust than the OME pads..

Yeah I was aware of the advanced auto options. Just looked and it would still be cheaper to buy from Rockauto even after a big $50 coupon. They are extremely expensive at advanced auto. I've bought plenty of things there before with the coupon and sometimes it does work out to be cheaper, but not for DJ brakes it appears.

So what brake rotor brands are people using? I'm seriously considering the Callahan kit since it's half the price. I've seen a guy on here that used them with good success...

Yup, I got my front rotors from Advance Auto last year when I was in Florida and ordered them online from the hotel....still sitting at home waiting to be used. They were at a decent price with the online discount. Rockauto and Amazon is also a great option! :)

I'm assuming you are doing your own brake work so if you want to try out the Callahan's then why don't you? The worst that will happen is they don't last long or less stopping power and you will need to replace them a little sooner....at that point switch out the rotors to Wagners and write off the Callahan's as a bad experience. The cost of the Callahan's definitely won't put you in the poor house and they may even surprise you. Although, if you are expecting superior performance and durability for that little money then I would say not put your hopes up that high.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

I did a small brake upgrade using good quality parts. New rotors and Wagner Ceramic Pads and I was very disappointed to find out that they still dont last as long as they should. The problem is that the Journey is too heavy for the smaller brakes. I decided to do the Big Brake conversion and wow what a difference. You may end up paying more for them upfront but in the long run you will be very pleased and they will last longer. Its all a straight bolt on conversion. There isnt anything custom needed to be done. You may find a 2013 Journey in your local junk yard.

I think for now I'll just try out the cheap callahan kit and see how long it lasts. Gauranteed ANYTHING will be better than the stock brakes. I don't do much city driving, so if the stock brakes can last to 60k miles, then I'd be more than happy to get 60k out of the new ones. Just as long as there is no more damn shaking from warped rotors!!

well i will use advance auto rotors when i do mine in a couple of months already got the wagner thermoquiets pads with the discount and rebate they cost me 62- 20 coupon code and then the 15 rebate for around 25 plus tax and then when the wear out will turn the pads in for a free replacement from advance so that dropps the cost to about 13 plus tax for the pads and the rotors run 51 each so 102- 40 coupon code from retailmenot.com drops the rotors cost to 62 plus tax. so total cost for first brake job would be about 87 plus tax for the fronts and will be even cheaper on the next brake job. plus i have always used advance auto rotors with no problems on all my cars and my daughter does a postal route with her own dodge caravan and about 3 brake jobs ago i had to replace her rotors and used advance on hers and they are still going strong and believe me she is real hard on her brakes. hope you have a good experince with the callahans brakes let us know how they turn out...

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up going with the Callahan kit on Amazon for $150. I was very impressed with the kit for how cheap it is; they look like good quality parts with ceramic power stop pads. I don't do much city driving, so if I was able to squeeze 60k out of the stock brakes, I'm sure these will last well past 100k miles.

My rotors were really warped, the whole car would shake when coming to a stop. My front pads were almost completely gone on both sides. My rears were about half gone (but the inside rear pads were worn to almost be completely gone). I don't understand how the inside pad wears out faster than the outside pad in the rears; wierd. I lubbed up all the caliper slides with new grease while I was in there even though nothing appeared to be locked up or seized. Sprayed some anti-squeel on the backs of the pads before installing. Either way, I'm glad to finally be rid of the crappy stock setup.

Took my about 3 hours total to do all 4 corners taking my time...not really any problems or hiccups, easy-peasy. Then went for a drive to bed them in (6 hard stops from 45 to 5mph, followed by a 5 minute cooldown drive). Everything is great. I'll update this thread as the miles tick by.

I've noticed that the inside rears have worn faster on just about every vehicle I've ever done the rear brakes on... Seems common to me. Although you'd think that they would engineer that into the design somehow to provide for more even wear.

I've had brake issues with my '11 DJ and it seems that my last repair/replacement has come back to the same predicament again and I'm not sure if my dealership will do something for me this time given I'm over my warranty period. I'm about to travel to the US and would like to pick up a set of brakes and rotors; what's been the best place to buy them? Online or in store? I've done some research and would like to maybe try the Centric rotors and ceramic pads. Have anyone had any experience on them?

I was also thinking about doing the big brake upgrade, but I'm at a lost as to what parts I need to buy? Any input on this would be greatly appreciated!

I've had brake issues with my '11 DJ and it seems that my last repair/replacement has come back to the same predicament again and I'm not sure if my dealership will do something for me this time given I'm over my warranty period. I'm about to travel to the US and would like to pick up a set of brakes and rotors; what's been the best place to buy them? Online or in store? I've done some research and would like to maybe try the Centric rotors and ceramic pads. Have anyone had any experience on them?

I was also thinking about doing the big brake upgrade, but I'm at a lost as to what parts I need to buy? Any input on this would be greatly appreciated!

FrogBox has a thread explaining the big brake upgrade in detail including part numbers...

FrogBox has a thread explaining the big brake upgrade in detail including part numbers...

Thanks Lobitz...I was thinking about this vs replacing the OEM to aftermarket brakes and pads and possibly getting the same results. I read over FrogBox's thread and am pretty confident with doing this upgrade and already got a quote for the job. I found all parts at Mopar Overstock for $660, but should I skip on the pads and rotors and go aftermarket on this?

For pads and rotors I would definitely go the aftermarket route then you can decide if you want to get the daily driver brake parts that are as good, if not better than OEM (cheaper too) or go all out and get the best of the best brake parts that will definitely exceed OEM performance.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

Thanks Lobitz...I was thinking about this vs replacing the OEM to aftermarket brakes and pads and possibly getting the same results. I read over FrogBox's thread and am pretty confident with doing this upgrade and already got a quote for the job. I found all parts at Mopar Overstock for $660, but should I skip on the pads and rotors and go aftermarket on this?

For pads and rotors I would definitely go the aftermarket route then you can decide if you want to get the daily driver brake parts that are as good, if not better than OEM (cheaper too) or go all out and get the best of the best brake parts that will definitely exceed OEM performance.

I agree with Journey_SeXT... The aftermarket is probably cheaper too.

Edited by Lobitz68