I am hoping someone has figured out an easy fix for this because I know if I take it to a dealer they will want to charge me $1000 plus to replace the whole thing.

The DVD player works in the front and sometimes in the back. However, after a long drive 3000 miles plus, I think I wore it out because NOW it will only turn on SOME of the time. When it does, it works fine. But usually when I flip down the screen, it just remains black. I tried the power button on the remote, switching modes on the remote, but usually flipping the screen up and down will eventually turn it on. I figure there is an on/off switch that is worn out. Oh yeah, just leaving it open all the time doesn't work either; when the car is powered off, it has the same difficulty coming back on.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help

Hi Curtis, I don't have any advice but welcome to the forum. The members here are quite knowledgeable so hopefully they'll be able to help. What year is your Journey? I'm assuming it's beyond the warranty period because of your hesitance of going to the dealer. Good luck!!

I have heard a lot of people complain recently about in-car DVDs that suddenly stopped working...I was interested in this because I was looking to get a portable for the DJ, and even ended up returning one to Best Buy because it won't play all the formats I had i.e. .mkv, mpeg 4, .divx. In the end I bought a 10.1 tablet instead and the bracket to hook it up to the headrest. That way my son car detach it to play games, watch movies/videos and surf the web

Oh....and you can take it from car to another. I like the same with the GPS also, instead of having it built in

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

The description of having to open and close the display several times to get it running before it goes completely dead suggests that there could be a wire that runs between the base and the display broken from flexing, or a switch that's gone bad.

Edited by bramfrank

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know that this is an old post, but the most likely cause is the video cable in the rear monitor.  From what I have been seeing on other sites, the cable will become loose or will crack, causing a black screen.  The cables run about $30 or so and can be found online.  Now it's time to fix mine.

• 1 year later...
On 4/25/2014 at 1:12 PM, Curtis Cooper said:

I am hoping someone has figured out an easy fix for this because I know if I take it to a dealer they will want to charge me $1000 plus to replace the whole thing.

The DVD player works in the front and sometimes in the back. However, after a long drive 3000 miles plus, I think I wore it out because NOW it will only turn on SOME of the time. When it does, it works fine. But usually when I flip down the screen, it just remains black. I tried the power button on the remote, switching modes on the remote, but usually flipping the screen up and down will eventually turn it on. I figure there is an on/off switch that is worn out. Oh yeah, just leaving it open all the time doesn't work either; when the car is powered off, it has the same difficulty coming back on.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help

Most of the time the problem is a cracked cable that connects the DVD screen to the VES system.  Check out this video for how to fix it - 

And here is where you can get the cable -

http://ebay.us/APUpPK?cmpnId=5338273189

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/20/2019 at 12:55 PM, Dodge VES Repair said:

Most of the time the problem is a cracked cable that connects the DVD screen to the VES system.  Check out this video for how to fix it - 

And here is where you can get the cable -

http://ebay.us/APUpPK?cmpnId=5338273189

here is a link on Amazon Ribbon Cable for High Definition HD VES DVD Monitor fits 13-18 Dodge Caravan Chrysler Town Country Minivan Van : Amazon.ca: Everything Else