Turn Signal Flasher Relay

Is there a turn signal flasher relay for the 2012 journey SE? I put LEDs in the rear turn signals and now have the hyper flashing and im not comfortable putting resistors in since they get very hot and will melt plastic. If there is a flasher relay, where is it located?

Thanks

There is no flasher for the signals. The tlash rate is controlled by the BCM. Now that the resistance has been changed due to the LED's in the rear, the BCM thinks there's a bulb out. It may have to be reflashed. I think some of the guys here have make it work properly but not sure how. From the manual, FYI. SCM = Steering Column Module, IC = Instrument Cluster, SAS = Steering Angle Sensor, BCM = Body Control Module.

TURN SIGNAL LAMPS

The turn signal lamps system includes the multi-function switch on the steering column, the SCM, the SAS, the IC and the BCM. The front turn signal lamp bulbs each have a path to ground at all times through their connection to the headlamp and dash wire harness. The headlamp and dash wire harness has takeouts with eyelet terminals that are secured to the body sheet metal. The rear turn signal lamp bulbs have a path to ground at all times through a takeout and eyelet terminal of the body wire harness that is secured by a ground screw to the body sheet metal.

The SCM monitors a hard wired multiplex input from the multi-function switch to determine the status of the turn signal switch, then sends the appropriate electronic turn signal switch status messages to the SAS over the LIN data bus. The SAS relays the appropriate electronic turn signal request messages to the BCM over the CAN data bus. The BCM responds to these messages by controlling a battery voltage output and the flash rate for either the right or left turn signal lamps through high side drivers on the appropriate front and rear, right or left turn signal control circuits. The BCM also sends the appropriate electronic messages to the IC to control the illumination and flash rate of the right or left turn signal indicators, as well as to control the click rate of an electromechanical relay soldered onto the IC electronic circuit board that emulates the sound emitted by a conventional electromechanical turn signal flasher.

The BCM also provides a Turn Signal ON warning that will send a turn signal ON warning request message to the IC over the CAN bus that causes the IC to generate repetitive chimes to indicate that a turn signal has been active continuously for 1.6 kilometers (1 mile) with the vehicle speed greater than 22 kilometers-per-hour (15 miles-per-hour). Vehicles built for markets other than the United States and Canada have a revised distance threshold of 4 kilometers (2.49 miles) for this feature. The chime will continue until the turn signal input becomes inactive or until the vehicle speed message indicates that the speed is less than 22 kilometers-per-hour (15 miles-per-hour), whichever occurs first.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no flasher for the signals. The tlash rate is controlled by the BCM. Now that the resistance has been changed due to the LED's in the rear, the BCM thinks there's a bulb out. It may have to be reflashed. I think some of the guys here have make it work properly but not sure how. From the manual, FYI. SCM = Steering Column Module, IC = Instrument Cluster, SAS = Steering Angle Sensor, BCM = Body Control Module.

TURN SIGNAL LAMPS

The turn signal lamps system includes the multi-function switch on the steering column, the SCM, the SAS, the IC and the BCM. The front turn signal lamp bulbs each have a path to ground at all times through their connection to the headlamp and dash wire harness. The headlamp and dash wire harness has takeouts with eyelet terminals that are secured to the body sheet metal. The rear turn signal lamp bulbs have a path to ground at all times through a takeout and eyelet terminal of the body wire harness that is secured by a ground screw to the body sheet metal.

The SCM monitors a hard wired multiplex input from the multi-function switch to determine the status of the turn signal switch, then sends the appropriate electronic turn signal switch status messages to the SAS over the LIN data bus. The SAS relays the appropriate electronic turn signal request messages to the BCM over the CAN data bus. The BCM responds to these messages by controlling a battery voltage output and the flash rate for either the right or left turn signal lamps through high side drivers on the appropriate front and rear, right or left turn signal control circuits. The BCM also sends the appropriate electronic messages to the IC to control the illumination and flash rate of the right or left turn signal indicators, as well as to control the click rate of an electromechanical relay soldered onto the IC electronic circuit board that emulates the sound emitted by a conventional electromechanical turn signal flasher.

The BCM also provides a Turn Signal ON warning that will send a turn signal ON warning request message to the IC over the CAN bus that causes the IC to generate repetitive chimes to indicate that a turn signal has been active continuously for 1.6 kilometers (1 mile) with the vehicle speed greater than 22 kilometers-per-hour (15 miles-per-hour). Vehicles built for markets other than the United States and Canada have a revised distance threshold of 4 kilometers (2.49 miles) for this feature. The chime will continue until the turn signal input becomes inactive or until the vehicle speed message indicates that the speed is less than 22 kilometers-per-hour (15 miles-per-hour), whichever occurs first.

I'm not disagreeing with what been said, but I resolved hyper flashing with load resistors. I didn't want to cut any wires, so purchased from ebay plug&play resistors that accommodate for both lamp and input wiring. As others said, you just need to find a way to affix them behind the lamp, but as this is a turn signal that is not supposed to be powered for a long time, overheating is not an issue, IMHO.

Edited by Totemus

of buy leds bulbs with the resisters built in. check out superbright LEDs

Superbrightleds didn't work for me, though decent quality overall. I tried several LEDs that claim "built in" resistors, or "CANbus compatible", but neither worked properly without load resistors. I ended up with ebay LEDs and resistors. Works fine for 1/2 year so far :)

• 8 months later...