Roof Tracks - No Cross Supports?

Barry Levy

Hello All:

I own 2012 Journey SXT. Happy with the car - I am familiar with 4 wheel and full time all wheel drive having owned different versions of Grand Cherokee in past. However, quite pleased with sure footedness of the All Wheel Drive fitted to my car.

Question regarding roof rack. Are the cross brackets something to be purchased as accessory? Don't want to strap something ( long ladder, etc.) to very roof of the car.

thnx.

Barry

Yep. Must be purchased separately. I think it's kinda dumb myself. If I'd known they didnt include them on later models, I would have snatched them off our 09 before trading it. Do a search for various topics on the subject.

Edited by jkeaton

The cross rails are available as an OEM accessory (and as aftermarket items) for those with the roof rails - you'd need to fit both roof rails and cross rails if the vehicle has nothing up top.

This is probably the best priced OEM cross rail set available on eBay at this time: http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-13-Dodge-Journey-Roof-Rack-Cross-Rail-Mopar-OEM-82212509-/171268250678?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ADodge%7CModel%3AJourney&hash=item27e0621c36&vxp=mtr

The cross rails are available as an OEM accessory (and as aftermarket items) for those with the roof rails - you'd need to fit both roof rails and cross rails if the vehicle has nothing up top.

This is probably the best priced OEM cross rail set available on eBay at this time: http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-13-Dodge-Journey-Roof-Rack-Cross-Rail-Mopar-OEM-82212509-/171268250678?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ADodge%7CModel%3AJourney&hash=item27e0621c36&vxp=mtr

Thanks for that...if you find the "best priced" for roof rails do share that too

Spendy!

Fight the urge to make some wise-crack about having the lengthwise rails - but not the cross rails. Bought my car - used - and in a hurry so did not spec out car as one might when setting up a purchase from new. Actually, have noticed Chrysler (Dodge) not only one to outfit cars like this. Have noticed other SUV's similarly without cross-rails.

On more positive note: I like the look of the Journey - as well as the performance. It's the Silver color - and to me - looks kinda Benzy. A good shout out also for the variable whatsis of the six cylinder engine - performs very smooth. Stay on the bright side people - that's important, particularly if you don't have any cross rails. (I held out for 3 paragraphs).

Regards,

Barry

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. I never ever payed attention to this detail. I'll have to check it out when I get home. Too bad it isn't like the roof rail setup on the vans, where the crossbeams actually fold into the side roof rails when not in use (to save on gas mileage).

Yep. Must be purchased separately. I think it's kinda dumb myself. If I'd known they didnt include them on later models, I would have snatched them off our 09 before trading it. Do a search for various topics on the subject.

An interesting scenario, when I bought my 2010 Journey R/T it came with the cross members already on it.

Terry

146733255.jpg

I checked when I got home (I had the van today)....my 2014 has the roof rails on it. Did they add this back in as a stock thing in 2014? I noticed that the EBay listing that's posted here says it is for model years 2011-2013, so maybe the new ones have it?

I checked when I got home (I had the van today)....my 2014 has the roof rails on it. Did they add this back in as a stock thing in 2014? I noticed that the EBay listing that's posted here says it is for model years 2011-2013, so maybe the new ones have it?

Nope. I have a 2014 and it was an add-on... At least in the states it is.

I should clarify... My 2014 has the rails, but not the cross supports (what we are talking about here).

Sorry, yes....I meant that it has both the side rails and the cross-supports. There are two cross-supports, that adjust to various clamp-in spots on the rails.

Odd that some have it and some don't. I wonder if this is a Canada vs. US thing, or something package-related? I have a Blacktop package, but can't see that mattering.

Why does Dodge do stuff like this? They do the same thing with the LX cars. They are all built in the same factory, but have different "option packages" in the US and Canada. Wouldn't that be more costly to maintain? Just seems unusual to me.

Roof rails are standard on certain US models, but the cross bars are optional. Some dealers simply add them to the car while in inventory; this would explain why some of you had them on the car at the time of purchase and some did not. They never come standard from the factory with cross bars, at least not in the US market.

No dealer puts bars on inventory vehicles unless they ship with the vehicle. If they add them it will show up on the invoice.

Only certain trim levels come with the crossbars - and which trim levels they come with vary from year to year and from country to country. For 2014 I don't believe that any US models ship with them. In Canada the SXT and above do, but NOT the Crossroad - it only comes with champagne side rails for some reason.

The CVP and AVP don't even come with the side rails.

Edited by bramfrank

No dealer puts bars on inventory vehicles unless they ship with the vehicle. If they add them it will show up on the invoice.

Some dealers add them while in inventory and place an additional invoice next to the Monroney Label (window sticker) showing the extra charges. I should have clarified that there will be extra charges listed. Often times these extra charge items are negotiated off the price to make a sale. But that may explain why some people had cross bars attached to the rails when they took delivery. Cross rails are a US Market Mopar option on current models.

I just bought a DJ Limited (in Canada) last week and it came with cross rails. They were not added as an option. I just looked at the brochure and the 2014 Limited comes with bright side rails and cross supports as standard equipment on the Limited and R/T