Hey guys, I am a proud owner of a new 2013 Dodge Journey R/T. I am currently trying to find out some specs on the speakers. I have Alpine with the premium upgrade. Two speakers upfront on the dash, two in the front doors and two in the rear doors. Now in the back I have two more speakers one on each side or is this two subs? They seem small for subs and on both sides? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check the top of your dashboard. You might have 2 more up their. I know on my 2010 I have 2 on the top of my dashboard.

Yup. There are 2 - 3.5" speakers in the dash, 2 - 6"x9" in the front doors and 2 -6"x9" in the rear doors... Unless you have the premium system.

premium adds the amp under the seat and the one sub on the driver side which is pretty weak in my opinion. I had the premium sound in my old caliber and found it loads better.

The premium system in most OEM applications is a mild improvement at best... You're still getting paper speakers and an 8" paper sub isn't going to do much. You also only get a mild bump in wattage. If they advertise a 500w stereo you have to split that wattage up amongst all of the speakers...in reality its a bump from 8 watts a speaker to 38...not much of an upgrade. That being said, most OEM stereos can be upgraded to sound significantly better (to the non-audiophile) for a very reasonable price via the aftermarket. This is something I do in EVERY vehicle I own.

It wouldn't be so bad for OEM if the sub at least had some kind of control on it. The low-end 3-band "eq" that is built-in to the system could easily be made into an 11-band or more and a subwoofer level added to it. That would require only software programming to do this and be a huge step up from what it is.

The same type of thing exists with the "Beats Audio" setup on some of the vehicles. It's the exact same speakers, but with a different EQ programming on the head unit. IMO, it sounds pathetic, but the point still stands that these type of changes are easily possible. It's really sad that nobody invests the time to do it.

I agree that there should be more control over the frequency response. However, I like the clarity of the sound overall. The amp's power is clean. I find that if I connect my phone via cable rather than stream the music via Bluetooth, the clarity and imaging are much better. Same with playing a disc in the CD player. Sirius' sound quality is awful and this system's articulation brings out the worst in it. A really good set of 6x9 coaxial speakers in the four doors would give it killer sound with the right input source.

I have a six speaker setup in my DJ. I notice there are areas in the rear cargo area that look like they could be for speakers. Are they? Are there wires already existing? Just wondering.

Peace.

Only on the driver's side. On the passenger side, it's just a vent. If you have the "premium" (and I use the term loosely) audio system you will have a shitty DVC 8" sub in the panel on the driver's side. It has no gain control, and is way underpowered (the exact same problem exists on the vans, too, though the system sounds much better in the vans).

If you don't have the premium system, I don't think the wiring is even there to add anything.

Personally, I can't wait for the weather to get warmer so I can start ripping this thing apart. I don't know what the policy is here on this forum for external links, but assuming this post doesn't get deleted, here's what I did to my Charger SRT8 LAST YEAR on Easter weekend. Time is coming close to making this a yearly event for me. Ha. ;)

Part 1:

http://www.chargerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=151537&highlight=MODtacular

Part 2:

http://www.chargerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=151538&highlight=MODtacular

I build everything from scratch, and do all my own customizations. Did I mention I'm working on getting us an actual aftermarket lift kit? :) Talking with the R&D department of a lift kit company this week. I'm hoping they'll let me donate my DJ for it so I'll be the guinea pig.

I'll post pics of clip/screw locations once I start pulling everything. I try to take lots of pics along the way, in hopes it will help other modders save time.

Only on the driver's side. On the passenger side, it's just a vent. If you have the "premium" (and I use the term loosely) audio system you will have a shitty DVC 8" sub in the panel on the driver's side. It has no gain control, and is way underpowered (the exact same problem exists on the vans, too, though the system sounds much better in the vans).

If you don't have the premium system, I don't think the wiring is even there to add anything.

Personally, I can't wait for the weather to get warmer so I can start ripping this thing apart. I don't know what the policy is here on this forum for external links, but assuming this post doesn't get deleted, here's what I did to my Charger SRT8 LAST YEAR on Easter weekend. Time is coming close to making this a yearly event for me. Ha. ;)

Part 1:

http://www.chargerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=151537&highlight=MODtacular

Part 2:

http://www.chargerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=151538&highlight=MODtacular

I build everything from scratch, and do all my own customizations. Did I mention I'm working on getting us an actual aftermarket lift kit? :) Talking with the R&D department of a lift kit company this week. I'm hoping they'll let me donate my DJ for it so I'll be the guinea pig.

I'll post pics of clip/screw locations once I start pulling everything. I try to take lots of pics along the way, in hopes it will help other modders save tim

You did a nice detailed job on your Charger's audio system. Im getting ready to do mine in my Journey next weekend. Its gonna be 3 way components up front and 1 Rcokford Fosgate P3 10. Its gonna be powered by 2 amps.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but Darkpaw mentions speaker wires available in the rear driver cargo space. Are these available on all models or just those with premium sound? I find with the windows open, I'm almost maxed out on volume, so I want to add two rear speakers. Anyone gone through the install or can point me to someone who has?

I replaced all of the upgraded Alpine speakers, except the sub. I added a five channel amp. All of the speakers are 2 phm (2.3 to be exact, my installer tested them.) After much false information from installers that 2 ohm speakers are hard to find, I state for all 2 ohm speakers are easy to find at Best Buy or Crutchfield. The door speakers are 6x9 but you can also replace with 6.5 round ones. The Alpine door speakers are polymer woofers, so you have four woofers. That's why the Alpine system sounds so muted, the speaker built in cross over is only letting low notes play. So just replacing these with coaxial or triaxial speakers (my first step) will give you much better full range sound. The Alpine amp is sending full range sound thru the wires to the door speakers. Many may be happy at this step. the Alpine sub seemed fine after these steps. Next, I replaced the dash speakers. These are 3.5" round at least 42mm deep paper cone speakers. The Alpine amp is programmed oddly, on YouTube a guy posted the frequency response as a video from his testing bench. After replacing all of the speakers, it seemed to me that portions of the mid range sound range were missing. But I am picky. So I replaced the Alpine amp. The Alpine amp is not adjustable by the user. I did get a full range of frequencies after this. The new amp is 1000 watts. The Alpine sub is taking about about 300 watts now (the Alpine amp only put out 368 watts for all the speakers) and doing fine. I may yet replace it since I have come so far. It is ok but not really covering the deepest notes. I like dance music. A bass should sound guitar like in that you can hear the notes change not just thump thump thump. It took me forever to gather the above information. The only thing I do not know, is the size of the sub. I am guessing 8" but it could be 6". It is in a special sub box, elsewhere I have posted a picture from the Alpine website Dodge page. I hope this helps folks.

Edited by BearmeatDC

I added a Kicker under seat sub enclosure. It is made for single cab pickups. It is 8", and the box is ported like a Bose radio. It has a remote gain. It can hurt my ears! It is amazing what this little box puts out. I have a power set and it fit underneath the seat with room to spare. I have a thread with all the Alpine stuff I added. I started with the 6 speaker standard radio.

Edited by dhh3