Any issue on the new Journey 2014 ?

Storm Roger

It is the exact model I tested. It has the same stock number.

Anyway, I have just been to the dealer and managed to cancel my order.

I said I couldn't afford the monthly payment, and they tried to bring the price down... but then they tried to sell me the "AVP" version, which they told me yesterday that there was no stock. If I didn't ask if it is the same vehicle, then they wouldn't have said they were trying to sneak the next model down to me.

I do not like this kind of dealership practice... I'm out !!!

Here is a new email from them:

Dear Roger,

I am Dusty Garner, Internet Sales Manager, at Henry Brown Auto in Casa Grande, AZ.

I am responding to you your online chat with one of our online representatives, and wanted to address your questions about the price of the Journey. We strive to be as transparent as possible, so that the price you are given is the price at signing. As you noticed, it is listed online at $21,192. What is not included in that price is an additional $2,000 in rebates, bringing it down to $19,192. As for additional fees, there are of course the obligatory taxes, license fees, Desert Protection Package ($1,296), and then the documentation fee ($399). The only changes that may happen on this would be in your favor, if you qualify for any additional rebates that I may not have included.

I see from your inquiry that you are interested in a 2014 Dodge Truck Journey. That is a great choice, and I really look forward to having the opportunity to show it to you. Since my goal is to make sure that we get you into the perfect car that suits all of your needs, I did have a few questions that I wanted to ask, so that in addition to the Journey, I can also give you some other options.

How soon were you looking to buy?
Do you have a trade-in?
Do you like light or dark colors?
Will you be financing?

Rick, if you would like to talk about any of this on the phone, just reply with your best daytime phone number.
Sincerely,

Sorry this is getting out of topic... anyway, the search for a new vehicle continues...

Edited by Storm Roger

I don't understand the math, Roger. I see by the stock number on your sales order that it is the same as the on listed online for $21,192. The only way to discount the car from the sticker of $25, 730 to $21,192 is to include all rebates, all the markup from Factory Wholesale Price (FWP) to MSRP, and most, if not all of the holdback. The only profit the dealership would then make would be on the "desert protection package" whatever that is, then the financing, and any accessories or warranties they would be able to sell you. Fine. So how is it that the price went up nearly $5,000? Plus tax and fees? And the internet sales manager's response makes no sense to me at all. He says the price doesn't include the rebates and would go down another $2000.00. And then he got your name wrong at the end!

I hate this kind of practice, too. My store is in a small town. We are up front about everything - if we tried to deceive someone, it would be all over town in no time and before you know it, there goes the business. Not tooting my own horn, but honesty pays off - the family I work for has been in business since 1927 by doing it this way and this way only. You made the wise choice by walking away.

yup, same here, I also don't understand the math.... that is why when I found out about it last night, I decided to cancel today, and they again tried to sneak the AVP version on me. Very very poor practice. Those are both my internet names though :shades: ..

Edited by Storm Roger

We got our 2013 SXT with around 10,000 miles for less than $17,000, including a 7 year/100,000 mile bumper to bumper extended warranty. I'll never buy new again. We trade cars every 4-5 years so buying (slightly) used makes better economic sense for us. Let someone else eat the depreciation.

wow, that "Retail Worksheet" is hilarious. There is no way the get the "total price" from the numbers above it. It is clearly designed to be as confusing as possible, so the customer will be made to feel stupid and then default to the assumption that the salesperson knows what they are doing. Shame! Plus...$399 "doc fee", plus $361 licence fee? Seriously? And the "desert protection package" is not a fillable field, it is mandatory? Guess what - that is a $1300 dealer fee that is not identified as such. What a bunch of BS. I would *never* do business with a dealer that tries to obfuscate to that extent.

Reminds my of a Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep Dealer in Athens GA I tied to do a deal with in 1998. They gave me a price on a Wrangler, and a calculated payment. I asked them what the interest rate was, and they told me. So, I sat there and quickly did the math, and found that the payment was much higher than what it should be given the financed amount, term and rate. I asked the salseperson to explain, and he couldn't. So I sat with the business manager, and he said "Oh, you are calculating it as an APR - that's not how it works". Okay, I said, how does it work? How do you calculate the payment? After about half an hour of asking this question repeatedly, it became clear that the business manager either didn't know, or (more likely) was simply hiding a lie.

I told them, "if you can't even show me how you calculated how much money I owe you, I'm not giving you any money at all".

I walked. Went to Carmax in Atlanta. Got a fair (and transparent!) deal in no time.