'11-'13 tail lights

dethdeks

could someone with a '11-'13 dj with the new style (led) tail lights take a picture of the wires and connector that connect to the tail light assembly. would love to see what it looks like. thanks.

p.s im talking the main 2 not the third brake light. thanks again. also if anyone has the wiring diagram or knows where i could get my hands on it that would be great if you could direct me to it.

I think your wanting to do what I want to do also. I have a 2010 Journey with the regular bulb lights and I want to change the whole rear lights to the round LED style. I think the wiring harness is gonna be different and the voltage to the lights might be different as well but im not positive about this. Im gonna follow this discussion cause if it can be done with out changing anything major then I want to do it too.

yeah im not to sure. i do know the connector is different and theres been a few "rumors" of the led style ones not fitting on the regular bulb ones but from looking at them (without taking it off and test fitting) they look almost identical in shape so i dont see why they wouldnt fit. back to the wiring. like i said the connector is a bit different but i figure if they are similar i could just splice off the old bulb style connector and wire on the new style connector if the cables are the same. but i would have to see the connecting cables from a led style tail light assembly to be sure.

yeah im not to sure. i do know the connector is different and theres been a few "rumors" of the led style ones not fitting on the regular bulb ones but from looking at them (without taking it off and test fitting) they look almost identical in shape so i dont see why they wouldnt fit. back to the wiring. like i said the connector is a bit different but i figure if they are similar i could just splice off the old bulb style connector and wire on the new style connector if the cables are the same. but i would have to see the connecting cables from a led style tail light assembly to be sure.

Yes they look the same to me also as far as fit. Splicing the LED connector would be easy to do as long as the wiring is the same.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The ballast for the LED tail lights is located in the lamp housing. There is 12v going to the lights, at the connector. My 2014 has a 3 wire green connector: white wire is brakes; white wire with silver stripe is tail light, black is ground. I have a 2014 Journey Sales Brochure. Standard bulbs are standard on the lowest priced models, and LED's are on the higher priced models. I can't believe that there would be 2 wire harnesses. The LED tail lights shoud be plug and play, IMHO

What baffles me is that my window sticker says front and rear LED lights, but I am still unable to find the front LEDs!

You wouldn't happen to be able to take a pic of the connector to see if it matches mine. And thanks for the info that just made my night and will probs order some tails here pretty soon if your connector is similar

I have an appointment at the dealer this AM to get my radio upgraded. I'll take a picture when I get home.

Edited by dhh3

Well, here are the pictures, as promised. My memory is obviously failing me, as the connector that plugs into the light is not green, but purple with green grommets to keep out the water! Close!

3fed8754-5435-417f-9b33-bd3e46e3124f_zps

Here is the back of the LED light housing. You can see the shape of the connector, and the 3 pins. There is 12v going into the housing. You can see that the housing is stamped 12.8v.

d4b2fcc5-04cd-4bde-afb0-53263c7c06ee_zps

Here is the end of the harness that plugs into the housing. It has 6 receptacles but only 3 are used.

Here is a top view of the connector.

While I was waiting for my Dealer to update my radio, I walked through the lot. There were 8 or 9 DJs all in a line. They were all 2014s. Two had the old style tail lamps and the rest of them had LEDs. This is why I can not imagine that there would be 2 different harnesses. I'm curious to see if adding LEDs would be plug and play for the members that want to add them.

HarnessConnection-Top_zpsaa6eecda.jpg

Edited by dhh3

Thanks for the info when I get home I will check my connectors and see if they match yours and if they do I'll probs pull the trigger on getting the led tails

Sorry, but I didn't want to pull the interior trim off of the hatch to see what type of connectors the inboard lights have, but I would guess that they would be similar, but with only 2 pins used since they are just tail lights.

I have no idea how to get the cover off! The dealer had it off when they installed my camera. It's raining now. I took the other pictures just in time! It's supposed to rain through Sat AM. I'll see what I can do for you.

Are there metal friction clips, or those funny plastic clips that look like little Christmas Trees holding the panel on, once I get the bolts out? I do not want to break it trying to get it off. :titanic:

Edited by dhh3

I will give it a shot for you. May not be until the weekend. I'm getting it undercoated today. They told me that it would take most of the day. Did you have a chance to compare your connectors to mine?

Edited by dhh3

Are you saying that the little round map lights are LEDs?

Every interior light in the 2014 is an LED except for the 2 on the lower portion of the rear hatch (not sure why those ones aren't).

Map lights,cup holder, door pockets, underside of the door, etc...

Edited by Lobitz68