2012 Journey shuts off while driving

bschu11

2012 SXT owner with 26,800 miles on the car. On a Sunday in August of 2013, I was driving down the interstate for about 1.5hrs at around 72 mph...cruise control on, 1/4 tank of gas, the car shuts off, and I have to pull over some we dont get rear eneded. The car will not start, and shakes violently when I try and start it. Had the car towed to the nearest dealership (40mi away from home). Any guesses as to what happens on Monday morning? The car starts right up, a d the dealer doesn't show anything wrong with it. 4 months later, i.e. 1/2 a month ago, in December it does it again...1.5hrs in, also on the interstate over 1/4 of a tank, cruise on, 73 mph and shakes violently when we try and start it. Towed to the same dealership....just happens to be close to the same dealership as the August mishap. Dealership has to jump it then drives it right into the shop and cannot find anything wrong with it. Brought it to my home dealership...they could find aqnything wrong with it either.

Called Chrysler, and had a case manager for 2 weeks, no further testing/work has been done on the car, and my my case has been escalated to the "Resolution" team .

Anyone have any ideas on the problem or what the "resolution" team is going to do?

I love the car...when it runs.

The MIL light is on Sunday's (traveling home from the weekend) when the car shuts off and shakes...but the next day at the dealer the MIL is gone, and it starts right up for them. It would be best if I can get it to to happen when the dealership is actually open. I should have at least recorded what happened.

Next time this happens you can go to Autozone or Advance Auto where they will pull the code for free or you can invest in a cheap OBDII scanner (from Amazon) as the dealer charges a lot for reading the code. Even if the CEL light turns off it will still be stored in the computer until it is cleared from the system with the scan tool.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

Next time this happens you can go to Autozone or Advance Auto where they will pull the code for free or you can invest in a cheap OBDII scanner (from Amazon) as the dealer charges a lot for reading the code. Even if the CEL light turns off it will still be stored in the computer until it is cleared from the system with the scan tool.

I agree, everyone should own a scanner these days. An inexpensive way to keep mechanics honest and in some cases save money by doing the small things yourself.

The MIL light is on Sunday's (traveling home from the weekend) when the car shuts off and shakes...but the next day at the dealer the MIL is gone, and it starts right up for them. It would be best if I can get it to to happen when the dealership is actually open. I should have at least recorded what happened.

If the MIL comes on at all, anytime, it stores the code in the computer. Even if the light turns off on its own, the code will still be in there. The dealer should know this and scan it anyway. Get yourself a code scanner. You can buy basic ones for @$20. It's the best tool I have. Pays for itself the first time you use it. You could have someting as simople as a flaky sensor causing this. The scanner will tell you.

You need an obd2 can-bus scanner. Simple to use. I can believe that a dealer plays the ignorance card. I had one that refused to do anything unless the problem happened with them. (3.6 bad head) even though they had the codes. The first few times, they said that the code had cleared itself and can't do anything. Then I found out from the next dealer that even when the light clears itself (4 driving cycles) the code is still in memory.

So yeah, try another dealer.

Did the check engine light come on before or after the engine stalled? Often times, people report to me that they saw the engine light on after the engine stops running. If the ignition is in the run position but the engine is not running, the light will remain illuminated.

Also, if there is an electrical issue where the PCM is losing its power supply via a faulty wire or harness connection, any stored, pending or active codes will be erased, just like in a battery disconnect.

There were a few early build 2012 3.6's which had faulty cylinder heads. In all the cases I've dealt with, none of them ever caused a stalling issue. At worst, the engine would occasionally idle rough depending upon the orientation of the burned valve on cylinder #2.

I have not found any STAR cases or TSB's regarding your problem, but will continue looking.

STAR Case

Chrysler Group LLC Version 3

Case Number: S1218000027

Release Date: 07/06/12

Symptom/Vehicle Issue:

Lack Of Throttle Responsiveness, Surge Feeling, Bump Feeling,

Engine Delay Or Stall

Diagnosis:

When diagnosing any of the conditions above always check the PCV hose where it connects at the

intake manifold. This hose should not be kinked or collapsed in any way.

There are two photos showing the PCV hose in this document which will not populate over onto this forum from the document. If I can figure out how to put them up, I'll post them later. Sorry...

STAR case has been created. Could it have anything to do with the upside down "U" shaped gas tank and the hoses within the tank? Thanks for the case number, i relayed that to the dealership and they were aware of that case and one other case number.