Cold Weather = Hard Pedal which Prohibits Push Button Start

Hey Guys- newbie to the Journey world here.

My wife is due in March and we were in the market for a vehicle with a bit more room than her old car. Being the Ram fan-boy I am, I talked her into thinking she wanted a Journey so last month we picked up a 2014 R/T w/AWD. As luck would have it, we ran into an issue with the car already with less than 1700 miles on it.

It dropped down to -15 here in Detroit and she started having a problem with the push button start when initially going out to the car in the morning after it sat overnight (garaged). The brake pedal was harder than a rock to push, which prevented her from being able to utilize the push button start. I went out on New Years Day to drive somewhere and had the same issue with the pedal, however I was able to push it enough to allow the push button to activate.

You know the feeling when your car is off and you pump the brakes a few times? That's exactly how it feels when you get in it in the AM. She swears the couple times she's had an issue with it starting that there was ZERO play in the pedal but the couple times I've gotten in it, I was able to push it down about 1/4" to start it.

We took it to the dealership and they had it for 2 nights. Both mornings the pedal was hard but the mechanic was able to push down hard and get the car to start. Long story short, we were told that Chrysler said this is "normal" operation, which I think is BS.

Has anyone experienced this problem? I'm not sure if this is the correct spot to be posting this, but it's brake related - feel free to move in necessary.

Let me know your thoughts.

Aside from the starting issue it's been a nice car. I did end up swapping out the OEM Kumhos for a set of Pirelli's because she had a bad vibration at 72mph that the dealer said was normal. Right… the new tires cleared that issue right up.

Wow… I'm somewhat surprised to hear that. Has it ever completely locked you out of the push button start? I did have to have her use the remote start the one day she couldn't push the pedal down.

Edited by JRodMTB

I think the Kuhmos contribute a lot of problems to the new Journeys, especially with AWD. I have had good luck with mine (I have them on my Journey and the wifes Town & Country). But I am not driving in the same conditions as you are up north and I don't have the AWD. Both Kuhmo and AWD seem to be hot topics here. You might have solved a lot of peoples concerns.

I have noticed a little more pressure needed on my pedal as well when cold, but I definitely wasn't having to stand on it.

• 1 month later...