love the acceleration!

2014jrt

Today on a trip I went from a gravel road onto the highway at about half throttle, the wife was like" what's wrong? Why you flooring it?" I said I'm not flooring it that's just the awesome engine in our journey. Later alone, I floored it on a snowy road with no wheelspin and it felt like the fastest car I've been in!

Hahaha...I feel your excitement. Believe me, I spent the past 5 years driving our 09 with the 2.4 4-cylinder, which, while a good engine, could barely get out of it's own way.....I love the Pentastar performance. I find myself "flooring" it quite often.

• 2 weeks later...

The Pentastar engine is a masterpiece of engineering for the masses. I too love the acceleration - but honestly, it's hard to take advantage of all that power in a FWD platform. That is my only regret about skipping AWD. It's fine when you are rolling and nail it, but from a standing start the torque steer can be significant. My 300M has more evenly sized halfshafts and a taller first gear, so torque steer is hardly felt, even though its only missing 5 lb-ft of torque and 30 hp compared to the 3.6. This engine really shines in a Challenger, which is RWD and in that application it makes 305 HP. Incredible when you think of it. In 1984, the C4 Corvette debuted with the 5.7 V8 and "cross-fire" throttle body fuel injection and it made 205 HP - 100HP less than a 3.6 in a Challenger with 2.1 liters less displacement and two fewer cylinders!

The Pentastar engine is a masterpiece of engineering for the masses. I too love the acceleration - but honestly, it's hard to take advantage of all that power in a FWD platform. That is my only regret about skipping AWD. It's fine when you are rolling and nail it, but from a standing start the torque steer can be significant. My 300M has more evenly sized halfshafts and a taller first gear, so torque steer is hardly felt, even though its only missing 5 lb-ft of torque and 30 hp compared to the 3.6. This engine really shines in a Challenger, which is RWD and in that application it makes 305 HP. Incredible when you think of it. In 1984, the C4 Corvette debuted with the 5.7 V8 and "cross-fire" throttle body fuel injection and it made 205 HP - 100HP less than a 3.6 in a Challenger with 2.1 liters less displacement and two fewer cylinders!

Kinda funny how the 80's and early 90's were so depressing as far as HP goes. My 91 model Chevy truck with the 5.7 is rated at 190hp. :hysterical: My Journey would run off and leave it in the dust. And my wifes T&C minivan is almost as quick as the Journey.

Love them Pentastars!!

Kinda funny how the 80's and early 90's were so depressing as far as HP goes. My 91 model Chevy truck with the 5.7 is rated at 190hp. :hysterical: My Journey would run off and leave it in the dust. And my wifes T&C minivan is almost as quick as the Journey.

Love them Pentastars!!

Yep, the Journey would stomp my 94 Z28 6-speed...lol....

• 2 weeks later...

My Journey would run off and leave it in the dust. And my wifes T&C minivan is almost as quick as the Journey.

Love them Pentastars!!

That's funny. I find the 3.6 in the caravan is quicker than the DJ AWD.

With the TC off, the van does nice burn outs. ( on the highway on ramp of course)

You know, I thought so to at 1st. I think the shifts in the van come quicker and smoother, especially the first few gears. I find the Journey (FWD) to be right the opposite. It seems a little weaker from a stand still but really pulling hard after the 1st couple of gears.

Haven't tried a burnout yet, although I have squealed the tires in 1st and 2nd with TC off. The torque is quite impressive.

I like how the 2-3 shift is still way up in the RPM range. i.e. practically no drop off in RPM's. What I cant stand is how quickly it wants to shift into OD if you are just driving lightly. I'm going up a hill at 30 mph and it shifts into 6th....and then I have to floor it.

Edited by jkeaton

What I cant stand is how quickly it wants to shift into OD if you are just driving lightly. I'm going up a hill at 30 mph and it shifts into 6th....and then I have to floor it.

That drives me crazy also. The shift schedule is programmed much like the current Town & Country/Grand Caravan which is equipped with an "econ" switch. Engaging the "econ" mode creates a shift schedule in which the tranny gets into the highest gears as quickly as possible to maximize fuel economy. If you defeat the econ mode, the RPMs are allowed to climb and the lower gears hang a little longer for improved driveability. Grand Cherokees have it too, as well as a Sport mode which really lets the engine wind out. I wish the Journey were equipped with this feature, and given the sportier nature of this vehicle, I'm surprised that it doesn't have it. The only way to get around it is to Autostick.

Edited by Journeyman425

The 3.6 is indeed a more powerful and refined engine than the 3.5. My 300M is equipped with a 3.5 and the 42LE four speed automatic which is a durable, smooth shifting transmission but it is not very efficient at transmiitting power. There are large power losses between the flywheel and the drive wheels. The engine is powerful but a bit coarse. The 3.6/62TE combo in the 300M would make the car a world beater!

I have driven the 3.2/948TE Cherokee and it is very impressive. The engine is always in its optimal power band - there is a ratio for any vehicle speed. The extra ratios more than make up for the smaller displacement and reduced power of the 3.2 - which isn't much, by the way. Power is down to 271 HP vs. 283, torque is 239 lb-ft vs 260.

• 2 weeks later...

That drives me crazy also. The shift schedule is programmed much like the current Town & Country/Grand Caravan which is equipped with an "econ" switch. Engaging the "econ" mode creates a shift schedule in which the tranny gets into the highest gears as quickly as possible to maximize fuel economy. If you defeat the econ mode, the RPMs are allowed to climb and the lower gears hang a little longer for improved driveability. Grand Cherokees have it too, as well as a Sport mode which really lets the engine wind out. I wish the Journey were equipped with this feature, and given the sportier nature of this vehicle, I'm surprised that it doesn't have it. The only way to get around it is to Autostick.

this would make the journey sick! Anyone e else have the enhanced suspension? My rt does , can't wait till summer when I can really get a feel for high speed cornering.

this would make the journey sick! Anyone e else have the enhanced suspension? My rt does , can't wait till summer when I can really get a feel for high speed cornering.

Or if someone would make a tuner, like superchips, where you could make a custom shift schedule..I had that on my Dakota, which was the worlds WORST about getting into OD. I made a schedule that would hold the gears untill almost redline before shifting, made her a screamer!