Confusing MPG Reader

Leon Crest

I have a 2013 Dodge Journey Crew AWD, and I have started to notice that the MPG reader has been off the board lately. I was averaging 15.7 miles per Gallon, and then this morning it read as 4.3 miles per Gallon. It has been really cold where I live lately, but I dont think that a change of 11.4 miles per Gallon can happen due to the colder weather. Has anyone experienced this before, and if so what was the cause? I also called the dealership, and they could not give me a starit answer. Thanks in Advance.

I would reset it and start over. I dont put much stock in those MPG readouts anyway, hardly ever look at mine. IMO they are just a fancy gimmick. If you want true MPG, do it the old fashioned way, calculate by hand.

Well lucky you that you can ignore the fuel consumption readouts as my eyes are totally fixated on it! It's almost become like an addictive challenge for me getting the L/100 km's as low as possible and then the wife will take it and wipe out all of the progress I've made.....ughhh! :banghead: I'm just glad my daily driver doesn't have that feature cuz it consumes me when I drive and yet I cannot bring myself to switch it over to any other display....help! :lol:

Edited by Journey_SeXT

I would reset it and start over. I dont put much stock in those MPG readouts anyway, hardly ever look at mine. IMO they are just a fancy gimmick. If you want true MPG, do it the old fashioned way, calculate by hand.

The problem with the DJ is that the process of filling the tank is so random. One time it fills nearly full, the next time its a gallon or so low. . . The old fashioned way simply does not work. When I have forced my tank full for a time, I found that my mpg meter consistently reads about .5 mpg high. I rely on mine now b/c the old fashioned way is too much work.

Peace.

Well lucky you that you can ignore the fuel consumption readouts as my eyes are totally fixated on it! It's almost become like an addictive challenge for me getting the L/100 km's as low as possible and then the wife will take it and wipe out all of the progress I've made.....ughhh! :banghead: I'm just glad my daily driver doesn't have that feature cuz it consumes me when I drive and yet I cannot bring myself to switch it over to any other display....help! :lol:

I just keep mine on the digital speed readout all the time... ;)

Edited by jkeaton