Rear HVAC Question

jkeaton

So, we've had our 2013 DJ for a couple weeks. One thing I notice is there is always a small puddle of water under the rear of the vehicle after it has been parked. Clear water, must likely coming from the condensation drain, my guess, from the rear AC system. Problem here is, we are not running the rear AC. Have not had use for AC since we bought it. Does the compressor run on its own? We have the manual control system and I've actually turned the rear climate control off from the HVAC screen, but still a puddle every day. Thoughts?

If you have ATC (auto temp control) then the compressor will indeed run at times to remove moisture from the interior air. It will run whenever any of the defroster modes is activated whether you have ATC or not. I get the same dripping from the passenger side rear corner of my Journey as well. Normal condition.

Also, the mufflers have condensate drains built into them as well. You might see some dripping on both sides from that. Again, normal.

Not the ATC, but I did read in the owners manual that the compressor may cycle with the system off to keep moisture levels down. I just figured it would be for the front only if I have the back HVAC turned completely off. Kinda bugs me that I can't manually turn off the ac compressor. My son had a car like that. The ac compressor ran for every position but floor. Bugged the crap out of me. I installed a switch to manually shut the compressor off until I wanted it on. Not going to do that to the DJ but you get my point. That to me is undue strain on the engine which costs fuel economy to have it running all the time,

Both my mufflers drain as I have crawled under to check.

Despite what some people believe that's what they are supposed to do,

if one of the drain holes is plugged/covered (i.e. undercoating) it is ok

to clean out the drain hole as it will make the muffler less prone to failure.