new noise from K&N?

sexyRTboi

I've put in a K&N airfliter into my 2012 R/T .... right away I could notice a power difference, and as time goes on it just seems more and more powerful ... a lot more get up and go (been in there for about a month now)

however ..... not sure if this is normal or not but Ive noticed on accelerating with alittle passion that I have kind of a deep whine ... if that makes sense. The only way I can describe it to myself is its the same noise my 92 Taurus used to make in highschool when the engine was dieing and the trans was pretty much shot .....

it sounds pretty okay .... sounds like a lot of the noise is coming from the exhaust - plus a nice rumble on start up - but I just want to see if anyone who has changed the filter to a performance one has noticed this sound at all?

• 2 weeks later...

Personally i don't think it's a good idea to use a K&N filter during the warranty period. I'd just stick with the stock Mopar air filter.

Why not? If anything it will improve and protect better than the flimsy paper filters. There is also a note that came in the box saying to keep it in the glovebox incase any dealer wants to dispute the use of the K&N than they can call that number ... lol ... I asked my neighborhood Chrylser dealer about it and they said its not a problem at all.

I put a k&n in about 6 months ago. Didn't really notice any extra power, mpg, or noise. At least it'll pay for itself in the long run though. Did you remove that silly little tube/clamp inside the air box? I took it out cause it had fallen off anyways...

Silly tube/clamp thingy?? ... ummmm no ... lol ... didnt notice one.

Why not? If anything it will improve and protect better than the flimsy paper filters. There is also a note that came in the box saying to keep it in the glovebox incase any dealer wants to dispute the use of the K&N than they can call that number ... lol ... I asked my neighborhood Chrylser dealer about it and they said its not a problem at all.

I did a google search on K&N air filters and read many K&N warranty horror stories of dealers not covering any repairs to the engine because of the filter.....mind you the majority were GM warranty disputes and not Chrysler. Just threw in my 2 cents to have anyone avoid hassles during the warranty period as the dealer will most likely use the filter as the culprit if anything goes wrong and good luck trying to get K&N to pay for the damages.

Maybe DodgeCares or DodgeCaCares can comment on Chrysler's position on K&N filters and warranty. Personally, I have used K&N for decades in my motorcycles with no issues and would like to replace the filter in my Journey with a K&N but don't want to jeopardize my warranty.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Official Dodge Support

Maybe DodgeCares or DodgeCaCares can comment on Chrysler's position on K&N filters and warranty. Personally, I have used K&N for decades in my motorcycles with no issues and would like to replace the filter in my Journey with a K&N but don't want to jeopardize my warranty.

wingit11,

Excellent question ! ! !

Whenever discussing warranty, it is important to understand the parameter and component in question and why it may have failed.

A vehicle warranty is in place to protect the consumer against manufacturing defects. In other words, if a certain part or component failed within the warranty period due to said defect than it would be covered. If a certain component fails for reasons such as abuse or lack of maintenance, then no coverage would apply.

With regards to aftermarket components, surely no manufacturer's warranty would be applied to any component that failed due to this aftermarket component.

Essentially, there would be no warranty applied to any component that fails to due the after market filter that would have normally been covered.

Overall, the installation of an aftermarket part does not void the warranty on it's own, however a restriction may be applied if warranty components fail due to that aftermarket part.

Be cautious when installing aftermarket parts.

With regards to aftermarket components, surely no manufacturer's warranty would be applied to any component that failed due to this aftermarket component.

Essentially, there would be no warranty applied to any component that fails to due the after market filter that would have normally been covered.

Be cautious when installing aftermarket parts.

Thank you DCAC for the summary and I do respect this stance, however, this statement leaves EVERY part failure, behind the filter media, "open to interpretation" of what caused the failure. To me, this means that in theory, one could always blame the filter media - if one wanted to.

DTSGUY has the answer above. I know I prefer an aftermarket filter and will continue to use it but the OEM media is close by when required.

Years ago I used K&N filters to save money since I could get a lot longer service life out of them than the stock paper models. However, in today's newer systems I've found that not to always be true. With the 13's replacement schedule of 30,000 miles I can live with the cost of buying one and chucking it every three years. I don't have to worry any more about periodically removing the K&N and cleaning it and re-oiling it. With the new computer systems in the intake system, K&N doesn't really gain you anything as the computer will automatically make the adjustments to the fuel injectors based on air supply, getting an "easier breathing engine" with today's systems doesn't apply any longer. You get a different sound and that leads to many thinking of "great gobs of power" and "gee, it's got to get better mileage", but, the reality is far less impressive. In fact, over-oiling your filter will cut your air intake. You would need to re-program your computer to take advantage of any flow improvement and that really is a warranty killer. Back in the carburetor days, easy breathing, better exhaust scavenging coupled with appropriate changes to carburetor needles could yield improvements in everything from horsepower to mileage, but, in today's computer controlled fuel and ignition systems, the computer already wrings just about everything that can be gotten out of new engines.

The new systems are geared for the paper filters, a 30,000 mile replacement is pretty cheap, the warranty is based on the paper usage, there's no cleaning and re-oiling with the paper (even when I was a K&N fan, the extra work always annoyed me). What's not to like. Don't get me wrong, I used to be a K&N fan, and for some applications, I still am, but, with today's computer derived fuel management and longer service life of the stock elements, I don't see any advantage to using them with most modern vehicles. With warranty issues being what they are, why should I give the dealer any ammunition at all if there isn't a large and overwhelming reason to...and I don't see the "large and overwhelming" reasons to use the K&N filter at all, either while the warranty is in effect or after it has expired.

If you want K&N, by all means go that route, but, with today's new systems, longer service intervals and the intended use of my DJ (face it, a Challenger it isn't), I, for one will stick with the paper filters.

Edited by webslave

• Official Dodge Support

Thank you DCAC for the summary and I do respect this stance, however, this statement leaves EVERY part failure, behind the filter media, "open to interpretation" of what caused the failure. To me, this means that in theory, one could always blame the filter media - if one wanted to.

DTSGUY has the answer above. I know I prefer an aftermarket filter and will continue to use it but the OEM media is close by when required.

Rubberdude88,

You are welcome, and yes this answer can leave room for interpretation.

Chrysler Dodge Jeep dealers are equipped to differentiate between component failure due to after market parts, we would certainly avoid dismissing an actual defect as being caused by the air filter or other. I could not foresee any issues with this K&N air filter but one never knows.

Thanks, take care