Code on my 2012 DJ: P0302 Cylinder #2 Misfire

Dropped the Journey off at Jim Burke Dodge today, and picked up my rental. I'm in a 2013 V6 Charger. I wanted something similar to the Journey, and that was the closest they had. Thankfully, they sounded well aware of the complaints/issues that I was having. That was pretty comforting to find out about.

So I called Dodge Customer Service (1-800-992-1997) and they won't reimburse me for my rental; awesome. They said the only time they will pay for a rental is if it's pre-authorized from Dodge and coordinated through the dealership. This is NOT what the dealer told me; they said that Dodge customer service will reimburse for the rental no problem, not that it had to be pre-authorized.

Now I guess I have to go fight with the dealership when I pick up my car in a few hours to make them cover it. Since I was under the impression that it would be a reimbursement, not a pre-authorization. What else can I do in this case? It sounded like customer service would cover it no problem. Otherwise I'll be out $200 for a weeklong rental (that should have only been a 3 day rental when I originally dropped the car off).

So I called Dodge Customer Service (1-800-992-1997) and they won't reimburse me for my rental; awesome. They said the only time they will pay for a rental is if it's pre-authorized from Dodge and coordinated through the dealership. This is NOT what the dealer told me; they said that Dodge customer service will reimburse for the rental no problem, not that it had to be pre-authorized.

Now I guess I have to go fight with the dealership when I pick up my car in a few hours to make them cover it. Since I was under the impression that it would be a reimbursement, not a pre-authorization. What else can I do in this case? It sounded like customer service would cover it no problem. Otherwise I'll be out $200 for a weeklong rental (that should have only been a 3 day rental when I originally dropped the car off).

I haven't heard anything from the dealer yet on the status of my car, therefore haven't called Chrysler customer service yet, concerning rental reimbursement. I hope we both figure out some kind of way of getting this taken care of.

Quite frankly, I am shocked. As a dealer service manager, this is not protocol as I am accustomed to it. In all honesty, we are rarely, if ever, involved in rentals since we're in a small town and we can usually provide a loaner where needed. When a customer calls Chrysler seeking assistance of some sort, they always call us to qualify the customer's request and will almost always offer some assistance. In a case like yours where the cylinder head is a known problem and your car is relatively new, I would expect Chrysler to honor your request for rental coverage. If the dealer's District Service Manager will authorize it, then the dealer can submit a claim for the rental along with the claim for the head and be reimbursed for the Hertz bill.

Yeah, I'm shocked too (since it's a defective part). Not my fault I had to go without my car for 6 days (when it should have taken them 3). And of course I can't get a hold of the service manager. I've left him 2 messages and he won't call back. I can't just drop in since it's 50 miles away. Maybe I'll call dodge customer service again...

Yeah, I'm shocked too (since it's a defective part). Not my fault I had to go without my car for 6 days (when it should have taken them 3). And of course I can't get a hold of the service manager. I've left him 2 messages and he won't call back. I can't just drop in since it's 50 miles away. Maybe I'll call dodge customer service again...

I'd pay the service manager a visit. If that doesn't solve the issue I'd schedule an appointment with the owner of the dealership. I believe that most folks want to treat customers right. You're right. This problem is not your fault, its Chrysler's. When my cam phasers were detective my local dealer gave me a loaner for 6 days. I wasn't happy about the phaser defect, but the loaner made me much happier. The solution may be as simple as you reminding them of this fact.

Peace.

Well, the heads are on back order, and I went to the dealer to pick the Journey up while I wait on it to come in. They did the reflash for the rough transmission shifts, and it shifts perfectly now! Can't hardly even feel the shifts, unless I have it floored. And there is no downshift hesitation anymore when I'm at highway speeds, and press the has to pass someone! I'm very happy with that, but hope that the head comes in soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I drove for a couple of months with the symptoms showing. Rough idle, engine would rock back and forth when let off the brake pedal. Dealer wasn't able to get my head replacement part for about another month. I think you are safe to proceed. Just get the appointment scheduled for when you return.

As long it's just at idle, you should be ok.

I drove my grand crvn like that for about 6 months while the dealer I was dealing with, gave me the run around.

Just keep an eye on the engine light. If it starts flashing, you have to stop.

Well the fuel gauge fix (replacing fuel pump) did not work at all. One fillup I got close to full. But all other fillups havent been much over 7/8. Stupid dodge. You would think it would be simple to figure crap like this out.

At least the head fix was great. Nice and smooth engine once again!

• 1 month later...

Just dropped my baby off to the dealer...I hate taking it there. Makes me feel so lonesome and separated! They seemed well aware of the common problems with the DJ (misfire Cylinder #2, A/C vent split issue, fuel tank not filling up, and rough transmission shifts).

They did say they would provide a rental for free if it was required.

You just listed all of the problems I am having with my car. I thought I wouldn't need a rental but now circumstances are changing. Guess I need to make a few phone calls. Did they ever figure out your fuel gauge? I've also been told that my air filter had oil on it at my last oil change. Curious if anyone has heard of that one.