Rear Suspension Noise

Hi All-

I have had a strange intermittent noise coming from what I believe is the rear suspension in my 2011 DJ almost since it was new. Sort of a cross between a squeak and a rattle. When I bought my R/T it did not come with roof rails, so I have those installed and subsequently put yakima racks on those. The noise in question was most frequent when I had my bicycles on the roof so I attributed it to the rails. But I have been hearing that same noise more frequently now and without bikes on the roof. The noise seems to happen whenever the road conditions cause any side to side sway of the DJ suspension. Maybe the reason I hear the noise more frequently with bikes on the roof is because the bicycles cause increased sway as they add weight to the top of the vehicle and move the center of gravity up slightly. Anyone else have something similar? Planning to take it to the dealer, but I like to have an idea what a problem could be before I go. BTW, the DJ seems to drive and track perfectly, it is just the noise that I hear. And the noise seems to be unrelated to bumps hit at a right angle on both wheels. TIA.

Peace.

Hello!!

I really need your help please!

I have noises and rattles like redtomatoman. When the weather is cold (not warm), the front suspension makes a weird sound, like an old truck.

also, the doors (right side, front and rear) driving, turn a corner, whatever movement started to make noises, very hard.

• Official Dodge Support

If you are having multiple noises in multiple location on the vehicle there is no way to diagnose over the forum. It would be best to let a dealership or shop take a look to determine what is wrong. As far as noise in the front when the vehicle is cold there are many factors. How cold? Is the noise constant or just breaking loose after being somewhat frozen and only can be heard once? Not really sure what doors making hard noises with movement could be though. Sounds to me like the best bet is to have a qualified professional take a look.

Thank you a lot!!

The front suspension noise, is when the weather is 50 F or less... in the morning (or night when the Journey was parked and weather is cold again). sounds like ...mmm.. need lubrication or something.

another weird noise and a feel in the brake pedal: in the first start or first move, (also heard in my 2009 Jeep Patriot), 13 miles per hour or less, a sound like CLANCK and If I barely pressing the brake pedal at the same time I heard that sound.. it is a common sound?? not heard in my charger or ram.

thank you a lot again!

If you are having multiple noises in multiple location on the vehicle there is no way to diagnose over the forum. It would be best to let a dealership or shop take a look to determine what is wrong. As far as noise in the front when the vehicle is cold there are many factors. How cold? Is the noise constant or just breaking loose after being somewhat frozen and only can be heard once? Not really sure what doors making hard noises with movement could be though. Sounds to me like the best bet is to have a qualified professional take a look.

seems like exactly my problem, and it drives me crazy.

DJ 2012, 14000 miles.

rattling sound in rear suspension, almost like fluid bumping on walls of a tank, but duller, more metallic. Almost nothing on bumps, or when going straight. Mostly during slow turns when car sways from side to side.

Checked my spare - seems tight, took everything from the trunk - it's still there.

• 3 months later...

I had my suspension checked and it was fine. Turns out the noise was from my bicycle mounts on the roof rack. The wheel skewers would slide side to side and make noise. Thought it was suspension. Felt a little dumb when I took a test drive with the tech. Fixed the problem by putting some bushings I got at home depot into the skewers. Haven't heard the noise since. I really should have checked those bike mounts, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Peace.

• 1 month later...