What kind of How To section do you want?

rolly

Hi everyone, I put the question out directly to the moderators about putting a how to section in the forum. The question that came back was - one forum alone or one with sub-forums as well. What's your preference and who would like to help moderate and contribute? Let's hear your thoughts!

Rolly

Thanks Rolly. I would like to see one how to section just as the "Welcome" area is detailing how to post, what to post - instructions on how to use the forum, search the forum, etc then with sub-forums for specific model years, different engines, etc then topics of how-to's such as "oil change", "air filter change" - the list could go on and on. I would be willing to contribute step by step with images and / or videos of any projects that I do to my DJ. The most popular how to's could be pinned to the top such as an oil change. Members could add their experiences, short cuts, further instructions, questions, etc.

Hope this helps but I'm sure there will be more input from other members.

Edited by Rubberdude88

Great start for this addition to the site! With the Journey having different body styles for the different years, and multiple engine formats, Rubberdude88's suggestion of those subsections/folders is ideal. Other subsections/folders could include "transmission", "lighting", "interior", "lubrication & maintenance", "suspension", "brakes", and many others. I can talk with the moderators, and show them a format that another forum I am on uses. It works wonderfully, and helps a lot with searches. Just let me know, and I will do what I can to help.

One thing that will need addressing, early on, is where the images will be hosted. If a "how to" section is to contain images as a basis for how to accomplish something, then those images should be hosted on this site and not one of the "free" hosting sites (Photobucket, Flickr, etc). It won't do any good to have a help based section that is composed of images that have been deleted from a public hosting site because the original poster closed his account, re-arranged his files, re-named his files, etc.

If the files (image) are going to be hosted by this site, then you run up against server space, storage caps and ultimately, cost. Not unsurmountable, but, something that needs to be considered while in the planning stage...

The "How To" idea is commendable, though, as MOPAR is no longer producing service manuals for their vehicles and making them available to the general public....I would be happy if I could even get them on CD/DVD, but, can't get an answer out of the Tech Authority Group as to whether they will ever be available to the general public. I got a printed set for my '08 Jeep Commander, but, not any of my vehicles since then, so, a "How To" area would be a boon to those Journey owner's that are capable of doing some maintenance and repairs if there are some visual aids to get through the rough spots.

When I think about a how to area, I think of an area that is dedicated to users documenting their projects: how to change the oil, how to replace your tpms, how to remove the dash, or any other thing that someone figured out. I think how to use the forum is ok, but users sharing how to do something on one's DJ should be the spirit of the section. I'm not so sure involving $$ is the best idea.

Peace.