How to access subwoofer in back?

I want to get to the 8" subwoofer in back to replace it with something of better quality in my 2012 crew. I know its on the drivers side, but the grill doesn't come off. Do you really have to pull the entire side panel off? How do you get it off? It seems stock where the cargo strap hold is by the 12v power source, and that doesn't screw off or anything. Thanks!

Do you really have to pull the entire side panel off?

I think so. This is the manual that explains how to install the backup camera, you can use the section regarding the side panel (which in turn requires removing the seats in the third row) and ignore the rest.

I'm afraid it isn't too clear and it doesn't explain how to remove the safety belts of the third row (a torx screwdriver of the correct size should be enough) but you can use it as a rough guide

I think so. This is the manual that explains how to install the backup camera, you can use the section regarding the side panel (which in turn requires removing the seats in the third row) and ignore the rest.

I'm afraid it isn't too clear and it doesn't explain how to remove the safety belts of the third row (a torx screwdriver of the correct size should be enough) but you can use it as a rough guide

Ah, mine (2012) looks different than that install manual. Anybody have anything better? I know there's people on here that have upgraded the stock sub...how did you get to it?

• 1 month later...

You do have to remove that entire panel... Pain in the butt! I just installed an overhead DVD player last week and relocated the rear AC controls to where the middle dome light was and upgraded the speakers... Had to remove the panel and make "Mods" to get a 10 inch sub to fit. But it sounds great now! Kids loved the feel on our road trip this week.

I will post some pictures I took when we get back home.

You do have to remove that entire panel... Pain in the butt! I just installed an overhead DVD player last week and relocated the rear AC controls to where the middle dome light was and upgraded the speakers... Had to remove the panel and make "Mods" to get a 10 inch sub to fit. But it sounds great now! Kids loved the feel on our road trip this week. I will post some pictures I took when we get back home.

are you still using the stock AMP and getting better sound quality ?? I was thinking about doing a 10inch mod but wasnt sure about the factory amp..

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...